Dover Man Shoots Self in Hand, is Charged With Reckless Conduct

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

DOVER — A local man has been charged with a felony after a bullet he fired from his handgun traveled through his hand, the walls of his apartment and then into the bedroom of a neighboring apartment.

No one inside the neighboring apartment was hurt but police allege that Jeffrey Dewing's recklessness put his neighbors in danger.

READ MORE

Dewing later told officers that he was both messing around with the gun and dismantling it for cleaning, according to Terlemezian. Terlemezian said Dewing was intoxicated when he was doing this and claimed that he didn't know the gun was loaded.

Police investigated the incident for more than a week and arrested Dewing on Monday, charging him with reckless conduct.

"Obviously his failure to use care when handling a firearm, as well as his level of intoxication, clearly makes this a reckless act," Terlemezian said. "The danger, which speaks for itself, caused serious injury to himself and could've caused serious injury or death to his neighbors."

Guns and alcohol do not mix. He is very luck the neighbors were not hit.

Dewing later told officers that he was both messing around with the gun and dismantling it for cleaning, according to Terlemezian. Terlemezian said Dewing was intoxicated when he was doing this and claimed that he didn't know the gun was loaded.

Police investigated the incident for more than a week and arrested Dewing on Monday, charging him with reckless conduct.

"Obviously his failure to use care when handling a firearm, as well as his level of intoxication, clearly makes this a reckless act," Terlemezian said. "The danger, which speaks for itself, caused serious injury to himself and could've caused serious injury or death to his neighbors."

Guns and alcohol do not mix. He is very luck the neighbors were not hit.

I couldn't agree more. IMO guns and any kind of drugs whether its prescription, alcohol etc. don't mix. FWIW, I think he got what he deserves and is lucky he didn't kill anyone next door through some sort of dumb ass luck.

There was a guy I knew in Norwood who was denied his permit and hired a lawyer. He paid a lawyer, won his case and got his permit. He then proceeded to put a bullet through his left hand while showing his girlfriend how to load his Walther PPK. The COP of Norwood went personally to the hospital to revoke said permit.

There was a guy I knew in Norwood who was denied his permit and hired a lawyer. He paid a lawyer, won his case and got his permit. He then proceeded to put a bullet through his left hand while showing his girlfriend how to load his Walther PPK. The COP of Norwood went personally to the hospital to revoke said permit.

Maybe the COP was on to something from the start......[wink]

I'm trying to understand how you can shoot your hand while loading a semi. It took me all of 2 minutes to learn not to hurt myself.
Perhaps dropping the slide with your finger on the trigger?

Respectfully,
jkelly

Well, I can understand physically how it is done, but what kind a damn moron do you have to be??? This guy had to go through the basic firearms safety. The number one rule they kept drilling in my class is "FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNLESS YOU ARE FIRING"

Well, I can understand physically how it is done, but what kind a damn moron do you have to be??? This guy had to go through the basic firearms safety. The number one rule they kept drilling in my class is "FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNLESS YOU ARE FIRING"

I think you may have missed the part where this guy is obviously painfully stupid.

...basic firearm safety went kinda 'through' him.

Back
Top Bottom