Double checking my advice.

Darksideblues42

NES Life Member
NES Member
I have a friend who used to live in NC.

She was given around 20 different long guns from her Grandfather when he passed away, nothing really special, standard country/backwoods shotguns, lever rifles, a lever shotgun, some bolt rifles, and a couple semi-autos.

She came up to Mass on a 12 month IT development contract shortly before he passed away. Here we are 6 years later and she still lives here.

She inherited all these firearms about 5.5 years ago, and is just deciding to get her LTC. At all times, the firearms have lived in a safe in her mother's house in North Carolina.

She was concerned that she would not be able to bring her inheritance to Massachusetts once she is licensed.

I advised her that she should be perfectly fine once licensed.

I am unsure, if under these circumstances she would need to EFA-10 them as they came into her ownership during her habitation in Massachusetts, even if this was temporary. (She did transfer car and DL to Mass)

Thoughts?

http://www.wbur.org/cognoscenti/2016/02/24/massachusetts-population-thomas-j-fitzgerald

Massachusetts isn't going to prosecute technical people moving INTO the state, IMHO, no matter how much press the local pols try to garner for themselves at our expense.

Suppose she only recently decided to bring her collection here, after maintaining dual residency for the last xx years. Have her get licensed, drive them here while complying with FOPA rules, and eFA10 (register) them.

eFA-10s are legally required as she is a MA resident bringing her guns into MA. Her opportunity to NOT register them ran out 6 yrs ago when she left them down South.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no law specifying that you must report to the state or the local licensing authority what firearms you already possess, i.e. filling out an FA-10 for your current collection or submitting a list to the local police.[/QUOTE]

http://goal.org/masslawpages/newresidentinfo.html

She's not a new resident, she didn't just move in with them. And GOAL's website has lots of old and incorrect legal info, use at your own risk.

I agree with Len. She should get her LTC, bring them up, then efa10 them using the "register" option. She does not need to tell the state where she got them, but her window to bring them up legally and not register them closed 6 years ago.

Last edited:
eFA-10s are legally required as she is a MA resident bringing her guns into MA. Her opportunity to NOT register them ran out 6 yrs ago when she left them down South.

- - - Updated - - -

She's not a new resident, she didn't just move in with them. And GOAL's website has lots of old and incorrect legal info, use at your own risk.

To be fair, this is what I figured the case was.

My armchair reading of Mass Law was such that once she started registering a car, getting a license to drive, and all that jazz, she established her residency in Massachusetts, which would require an EFA-10 as "Registration" once she crosses the border into MA as a lawful LTC holder with her collection.

Back
Top Bottom