Doing my civic duty - Another DUI bites the dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent

NES Member
This past Friday, Jessica and I were driving from a performance in Acton to goto Jillians in Worcester. It was about 11pm and just got onto 495 from Route 2 going south towards 290. Not more than min, I had some guy speed right up to me and tailgate me closely in the middle lane.

I maintained speed and the guy backed off a few car lengths and now was weaving from side to side and from lane to lane. It was just him and I on the road pretty much. He kept getting close than backing off and still driving erradic. When he almost weaved right off the highway a 3rd time I called 911.

911 patched me into the Leominster Barracks for which I relayed what was happening. I then moved to the right lane and then the guy just floored it. I was already going about 75. I then asked if it was ok for me to keep up with him and the officer on the line said please do, but safely. I kept the officer on the line informed which exits we were passing and whether or not if the driver was going to exit to 290 or continue south on 495. Just as we past 290 there was a State Trooper driving slow in the right lane of which the driver saw and slowed down. I told the officer on the line that the driver was driving along the state trooper and that was the vehicle. 1 min later the trooper pulled him over. The officer on the line took my information down and thanked me for calling.

The story would have ended right there but after 30 mins and Jessica and I were just about to walk into Jillians, the officer that I spoke to on the phone called me back to inform me that the person that I called on was arrested for DUI. Hearing that made my day.

Anyways, I just wanted to share that little story with you all..

-Brent

I'm glad it turned out well

My experience a few years back on the way home from the Cape didn't turn out that way. The dispatcher basically hung up on me and then my (ex) wife
accused me of being a snitch.

LOL, I only called when the guy almost hit me from behind and to top it off, him almost running himself off the road. It was a no brainer at that point that I needed to do something to protect himself and others.

it's bad enough people drink and drive. Wouldn't you think if you had a few too many that you might want to drive as normally as possible to not attrack any additional attention to you and your condition?

I'm glad it all worked out and nobody was hurt. Drunk or not he should have at least been arrested for road rage with the way he was driving.

Brent,

Good job. Sometimes you have to step up and do the right thing which you did.

So I was driving on 495 last Friday night when I almost rear ended this jerk doing 50 in the middle lane. He finally pulled over then pulled back in behind me. He was matching my speed so I sped up to try to lose him. I was a little fearful since I think it was a pair of drag queens, and you know what they can do if they get you cornered.

Hats off to a fellow Northboroian (is that a word?)

Glad to see the cops actually used the resources available to them rather than pull the "please stay out of our business" attitude.

Playing the what if game: if you hadn't taken the initiative, and if the driver continued to drive erratically, and if he had been involved in an accident....
he could have killed someone, or several people. You not only performed a public service, but possibly saved some lives.

Ken

One might wish that such jerks quietly fly off the road, hit an old stump in some wasteland and burn to ashes, leaving no grieving relatives, but that never happens. They always take a few innocent folks with them and/or survive at great cost to their relatives.

So yours was the best option. Glad to hear it.

So I was driving on 495 last Friday night when I almost rear ended this jerk doing 50 in the middle lane. He finally pulled over then pulled back in behind me. He was matching my speed so I sped up to try to lose him. I was a little fearful since I think it was a pair of drag queens, and you know what they can do if they get you cornered.

Holy crap... That had me on the floor.

I wonder if it was this guy...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070403/ap_on_fe_st/court_dui;_ylt=AlYP4rcNI7XodyYte9urX7_tiBIF

Police: Man arrives at DUI hearing drunk

YORK, Pa. - A man who arrived at court drunk for a drunken-driving hearing was again charged with driving under the influence, police said.

Paul H. Zeigler, 45, of Glen Rock, appeared at a preliminary hearing at the Shrewsbury district court on March 26 for a DUI charge from December.

Police said Zeigler appeared to be intoxicated at the hearing, according to police records.

After his court appearance, Zeigler failed a portable breath test for alcohol and was taken into custody for a blood test, police said.

The second test revealed that Zeigler's blood-alcohol level was twice the legal driving limit and he was charged with DUI, police said.

___

Information from: The York Dispatch, http://www.yorkdispatch.com

Very rare to get a call back.

The problem we alway had was that out strech of highway was only about three miles long. By the time we got a call, the car was long gone.

Wouldn't you think if you had a few too many that you might want to drive as normally as possible to not attrack any additional attention to you and your condition?

Except that you can't drive normally while you're that intoxicated, that's the problem with it!

What you did is what is known as a "Code 22." While people's experience calling in rolling reports to local PDs varies widely, you will find that the State Police uniformly welcome such calls, appreciate them, and, to the extent that there is a Trooper situated to make the intercept, act on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom