• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does the new ban include supressors and class 3 rimfires?

Is it illegal for me to buy or posess a registered supressor or adapter for a rimfire firearm now? Is it illegal for me to build and register or purchase a transferable NFA rimfire rifle post ban?
I just thought about this because of two things
1- I was going to buy two of the oil filter supressor adapters and do all the paperwork and NFA trust in August of this year.
2- A friend of mine who is in the Navy and operates on submarines has a supressor and an SBR Ruger 10/22 that he owed and was in posession of it prior to the CT ban. Last year he was in FL with me and we were talking about if something happened to him he would want me to become the new owner of that gun and supressor.
3- I've always wanted to build a internally supressed .22WMR rifle and a .410 SBS.

Whats the legallity with those 3 situations?
Thanks.
-Dave

I believe that only pistols are now banned due to the one feature limit (threaded barrel). Rimfire rifles are free and clear (as far as I know).

Suppressors are still legal. You can have threaded rifles but not pistols. So my .45 can that I'm still waiting on the stamp for will be a nice paperweight. Until I move of course.

Yeah as far as I can yell you have to register a handgun with a threaded barrel. Or pull the barrel out. It's not like barrels are stamped or anything. And none of my guns came from the factory with a threaded barrel either.

Ok awesome guys, thanks for the answers. I talked to my friend who's above mentioned and I told him I would ask this for him. He is active Navy, does the ban and all the other Bullcrap on ammo permits and LCMs apply to him or just civilians? If CT starts attacking supressors, just remember...Its not very hard to build one yourself.[wink]

Why not simply register all you're firearms as being threaded? To make it legal simply remove the barrel and scribe a few rows of threads on it. Threaded is threaded right??

Suppressors are still legal. You can have threaded rifles but not pistols. So my .45 can that I'm still waiting on the stamp for will be a nice paperweight. Until I move of course.

Thats wrong.

As long as you owned the .45 handgun and threaded barrel by 4/4/13 you are free to register your handgun with a threaded bbl as an AW and put a suppressor on it at will.

Don't answer that question here. Just realize that it is up to them to prove that you did not have all the items. Things like barrels are not regulated and on a practical basis, as long as you owned the gun prior to 4/4 it would be up to them that you did not own the barrel by then also.

Bottom line is that proof of ownership of the gun is key.

Here is the other thing. Most handguns have already been "registered". When either a licensee or a private party sells a gun to you they have to call for an authorization number. That number is put on the DPS-3 form, which is submitted to the DESPP and your local PD.

The DESPP maintains a database of who purchased what.

With long guns there were ways around that. No record keeping was required for the secondary transfer of a rifle like an AR. Thats changed now.

But the reality is that if you bought your hand gun in CT any time since 1994, its already "registered".

So registering it as an AW doesn't hurt you.

Unless******This is huge******

I don't have an answer to this yet.

What if you register your handgun as an AW with a threaded bbl.
An AW can not be carried loaded and must be transported in the trunk or a locked case.

In contrast a handgun or rifle can be carried any way you want other than that long guns must be unloaded in a car.

So what happens when you remove the threaded bbl and put a standard bbl. Its no longer an AW by configuraiton.

But what if you've registered it as an AW. Can it be carried loaded when not in its AW configuration.

This is something I'm going to ask the DESPP. Not that their opinion has any weight of law. But it gives an understanding of how they are leaning on things.

Don

Here is the other thing. Most handguns have already been "registered". When either a licensee or a private party sells a gun to you they have to call for an authorization number. That number is put on the DPS-3 form, which is submitted to the DESPP and your local PD.

The DESPP maintains a database of who purchased what.

With long guns there were ways around that. No record keeping was required for the secondary transfer of a rifle like an AR. Thats changed now.

But the reality is that if you bought your hand gun in CT any time since 1994, its already "registered".

So registering it as an AW doesn't hurt you.

Unless******This is huge******

I don't have an answer to this yet.

What if you register your handgun as an AW with a threaded bbl.
An AW can not be carried loaded and must be transported in the trunk or a locked case.

In contrast a handgun or rifle can be carried any way you want other than that long guns must be unloaded in a car.

So what happens when you remove the threaded bbl and put a standard bbl. Its no longer an AW by configuraiton.

But what if you've registered it as an AW. Can it be carried loaded when not in its AW configuration.

This is something I'm going to ask the DESPP. Not that their opinion has any weight of law. But it gives an understanding of how they are leaning on things.

Don

My head hurts..

This issue directly affects me...

I recently began the process to purchase a suppressor...right now my form 4 is at the state police HQ awaiting the colonel to sign off on it, as he is my CLEO. Been 3 weeks so far...

I bought a pistol in September of this year, then bought a threaded barrel. All bought legally. But is seems that I must "declare" the pistol as an assault weapon, but I've purchased it after 4-1-13. It looks like I can not use that barrel in that pistol ???

Do I have to sell that threaded barrel? I can declare other pistols that were purchased before 4-1-13...but of course the suppressor I bought has threads for the barrel in question. I can buy different threaded adapters, maybe even get it exchanged.

What a confusing mess

This issue directly affects me...

I recently began the process to purchase a suppressor...right now my form 4 is at the state police HQ awaiting the colonel to sign off on it, as he is my CLEO. Been 3 weeks so far...

I bought a pistol in September of this year, then bought a threaded barrel. All bought legally. But is seems that I must "declare" the pistol as an assault weapon, but I've purchased it after 4-1-13. It looks like I can not use that barrel in that pistol ???

Do I have to sell that threaded barrel? I can declare other pistols that were purchased before 4-1-13...but of course the suppressor I bought has threads for the barrel in question. I can buy different threaded adapters, maybe even get it exchanged.

What a confusing mess

You cannot use the barrel. You purchased it after the date and thus it would be illegal.

Or you could just use it and not care about the law.

Back
Top Bottom