Does have a NFA firearm allow for items like collaspable stocks and flash-hiders?

Lxpony

NES Member
I was told by a gunsmith that if I register a firearm on a BATFE Title 1 form (say I want to SBR an AK74) then it would be legal for me to have a collapsible stock and/or a flashhider. Since it would now be registered in the NFA registry it is exempt from MA AWB law? Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? The rifle is brand new so not preban. I cannot find the law anywhere to support this statement so thought I would post it here...

Short answer, no it would NOT be exempt from MA ban laws.
The tax stamp allows you to use a short barrel and that's about it.
If the gun is a pre ban to start with, yes you can use a folder/ coll. stock.
If it is not then you can't.
I have registered my machine guns and they have pre ban features because they ARE pre ban (the last amnesty was 1986) they may have short barrels and coll. stocks but that's the way they came and do fall under the NFA.
A new gun is just that, a new gun...and 200 bucks will get you a short barrel.

Short answer, no it would NOT be exempt from MA ban laws.
The tax stamp allows you to use a short barrel and that's about it.
If the gun is a pre ban to start with, yes you can use a folder/ coll. stock.
If it is not then you can't.
I have registered my machine guns and they have pre ban features because they ARE pre ban (the last amnesty was 1986) they may have short barrels and coll. stocks but that's the way they came and do fall under the NFA.
A new gun is just that, a new gun...and 200 bucks will get you a short barrel.

Just to clarify, machine guns where never subject to any of the provisions of the '94 AWB, or the matching Massachusetts AWB.

Also, the last, and only, NFA amnesty was in 1968. May 19 1986 was the cut off date to register a transferrable machine gun.

--EasyD

Back
Top Bottom