Does anyone use 3.5" for waterfowl?

pj150

NES Member
I used to have a Mossy 835 that I sold that took 3.5 shells. Now I have a Remmy 1100 Mag. I was thinking about the Rem 11-87 super mag since Dicks was having that sale but I wanted to solicit some opinions on it.

I've shot a Benelli SBE and one of those Russian made auto loaders that handled it. Benelli is too expensive and the Baikal seemed to lock up the bolt after a few rounds.

If you do shoot 12 gauge 3.5, let me know your experience.

For waterfowl I use a Beretta Xtrema2 with 3.5 shells. This will be my fourth season using the Beretta. I recently installed there kick-off system so I don't have much to say about that yet. As for the previous years I had trouble enduring the pain of shell after shell ponding my shoulder. I could go through about 30 to 40 rounds before I wanted to give up. As for reliability there were zero issues. I would recommend a shotgun that has some kind of recoil reducing system if you plan on doing a lot of shooting.

Thanks for the input, it's exactly what I wanted to know.

From what I remember two years ago, I took a hunting trip in CA and hunted consecutive days over a 11 day period shooting 30+rds of 3.5" each time out. Wasn't too bad but it was hard on the gear. I did have to clean and oil the gun everyday as it wouldn't lock back into battery. It performed ok otherwise but I wanted some real world experience on some models before I drop the dough on one.

It was hard convincing myself to spend that kind of money on shotgun. But i have not looked back since. In all honesty its the most fun to shot of all my firearms. Cleaning once a day should not be necessary in my opinion. I clean my shotgun 2-3 times a year. I only have about 4000 shells through it but not one problem. Good luck and happy hunting:)

I see no need for 3.5" shells for duck hunting. Unless you're sky busting birds over tree top levels, a decoying bird at 30 yards is more than vulnerable with 2.75" or 3" shell. Many people use a 3" 20ga for the early season to take teal, wood ducks and mallards. 3.5" might be more appropriate for goose season, but still overkill IMHO. There's a lot of guys out there on the river that I see take pokes at birds that are well beyond range and out of their shooting ability, but a 3.5" shell suddenly gives them super powers?? Most often, the birds just get educated or crippled. Once in a while they bring one down. To me, duck hunting is fooling the bird, calling them to your spread and making a close ethical shot.

Ive had a Super Black Eagle since they hit the market. Right away i bought some 3.5. Havent since. They have theyre purpose, but 90% of waterfowl i shoot are within 40 yds. I do fine with whatever i can afford. A good shot will knock down birds with most guns/loads...practice/experience.

I see no need for 3.5" shells for duck hunting. Unless you're sky busting birds over tree top levels, a decoying bird at 30 yards is more than vulnerable with 2.75" or 3" shell. Many people use a 3" 20ga for the early season to take teal, wood ducks and mallards. 3.5" might be more appropriate for goose season, but still overkill IMHO. There's a lot of guys out there on the river that I see take pokes at birds that are well beyond range and out of their shooting ability, but a 3.5" shell suddenly gives them super powers?? Most often, the birds just get educated or crippled. Once in a while they bring one down. To me, duck hunting is fooling the bird, calling them to your spread and making a close ethical shot.

This, mostly - even geese will fall to the 3" if you fool them in ;)

I always thought the 3.5 shells did not contain more gunpowder but more shot. The advantage of 3.5 is a denser pattern of shot not necessarily more distance or velocity.

There *may* be a bit more charge to propel the additional weight but the effective range should be the same.

I just bought an extrema2 and like it. Having the ability to shoot 3.5 is handy I think at the min. Like they say 'i'd shoot 4s if they made them'

Back
Top Bottom