does a shooters saftey cert expire

qwik88

NES Member
about to go get my ltc and i was wondering if my shooters saftey coarse cert expires took it a while ago but wasnt ready to go for my licence at that point
thanks
dan

This question gets asked an average of 2-3 times/month.

Per MGLs, no it doesn't.

Per "suitability" and "chief's discretion", it expires whenever your chief says that it does! Meaning he can refuse to accept it at any time and your only recourse is to fight it in court (and likely lose) . . . it would probably take 3-4 years and many thousands of $$ to fight that issue.

When I applied for my LTC, the chief and I got into a discussion about this. The week before he had someone come in who took the class 10 years earlier.

I probably should have researched this myself, as I was in a similar situation. I had taken the class probably 15 years ago, and never bothered to put the paperwork through because of the ridiculous demands on the paperwork at my local PD at the time. They wanted 3 handwritten reference letters from non-family member stating your suitability to possess firearms. Thankfully that requirement was dropped with the new standard forms they now use, because there is no way that most people would feel comfortable putting themselves on the line for something like that, and I would feel like a heel even asking for something like that! I recently retook the course back in October, because I didn't know that there was not an expiration date, but even if I had known, I probably would have taken it again anyway. Never a bad thing to review fundamentals of safety, and things like that when dealing with firearms. It was nice to get a fresh review of relevant, and current laws too. If what they told me was accurate, my LTC A should be ready for pickup the first, or second week of December, and I can't wait!

Had a similar situation. Took the course in 93, for no good reason did not apply. Went to apply a few years ago and was told I needed to take one again. Not a big deal in the end either a missunderstanding of the law, or a power trip. Don't really care either way the process was a fairly straight forward process from there.

Had a similar situation. Took the course in 93, for no good reason did not apply. Went to apply a few years ago and was told I needed to take one again.

Please NOTE: In this case the PD was correct.

MGLs says that you need a MA SP Cert to turn in, NOT the NRA Cert. There was no such thing as a MA SP Cert until 10/21/1998 and therefore any course (for 1st time MA LTC/FID holders) had to have been taken on/after that date.

MGLs says that you need a MA SP Cert to turn in, NOT the NRA Cert. There was no such thing as a MA SP Cert until 10/21/1998 and therefore any course (for 1st time MA LTC/FID holders) had to have been taken on/after that date.

Oh, that is interesting info right there. I believe the old cert. that I had was just the NRA one. Either way, as I said, I had no issues with retaking the class, and found it interesting anyway.[wink]

Land of the free?

Back
Top Bottom