• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do you need a rangefinder for deer hunting in MA?

They can be good for archery.however, you can also pace out to trees from your stand and get a good idea.

if yes, any recommendations on a rangefinder product?

Thanks a lot!
Zero your shotgun, using your favorite type/brand of slugs, to hit dead-on at 50 yards. You will be about an inch and a half high at 25 and maybe 2 inches low at 75, more than enough to ensure an accurate shot. In the unlikely event that you have to fire at 100 yards, expect to be about 6 inches low, so you will have to compensate for the drop. This is what I do, using 1 oz. rifled slugs from my iron-sighted Remington 870 12 gauge.

As others have said no, pacing it out works well with the distances you typically encounter in NE unless shooting across ridge lines. That said a range finder is a lot faster than pacing.

I use one...When I'm sitting in the stand I'll guess how far away a tree or rock or stump is and then double check with the range finder to see how close I was. It s a good teaching tool. But no you done NEED one...I mostly bow hunt and don't take shots passed 35 yards.

I don't use one. But I often think about the size of a football field for reference that's 100 yards. Poor mans rangefinder but its worked for me. Doesn't need any batteries either.

I don't use one. But I often think about the size of a football field for reference that's 100 yards. Poor mans rangefinder but its worked for me. Doesn't need any batteries either.

Isn't it 120 yards?

One thing I do, is use the rangefinder to tell me what geographic feature is at the outside limit of my weapon. So If I know my personal skill with a bow is 40 yards, I try to determine which trees, for example, are at the 40 yard range. So If I am awaiting a deer walking to me, I don't try to shoot it at 45 yards. I am also keeping my movement to a minimum as the deer gets closer by knowing the distance ahead of time. Similarly, when hunting a large clearing or corn field etc, I can use it to pick out the feature (tree/rock etc) that is the outer limit of my rifle's/shotgun's range. Last, but least important, I use it to confirm my guesstimate about the range of things in the woods. It helps me kill a little time and helps me develop my estimation skills.

Dave

I use a range finder to see if I am at a legal spot for ducks and goose hunting... 150 from a road 500 from a house.... Its also fum to pass time in the tree stand

I think a rangefinder is a good tool to have for bowhunting. Mine does not have the arch, at the time those were about a hundred bucks more... Ive ranged from my stands with both, the difference in yardage is minimal at best.

Ive never used one I can easily judge out to my comfortable yardage with my bow. Ive never bee able to hunt a spot with my shotgun or bp that I could shoot more the 75 100 yards.

I think a rangefinder is a good tool to have for bowhunting. Mine does not have the arch, at the time those were about a hundred bucks more... Ive ranged from my stands with both, the difference in yardage is minimal at best.

This. When I range trees from my climber I range them at the same height as my stand. This virtually eliminates the small error when ranging to the ground.

Practice estimating then verify the range with the range finder. You will get much more accurate over time. This will come in handy when you have a quick opportunity where you haven't Pre-ranged the distance. Think walking in to your stand.

As others have said; with the shotgun it doesn't matter much. I only carry my rangefinder when I bow hunt.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom