• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do I need to pin the muzzle device on my registered SBR?

stacarter

NES Member
Hi, I read through the sticky and this isn't covered. It seems pretty simple and logical to me, but I want to get other opinions about this. I have a registered SBR with a 10.5 inch barrel (Micro Galil). I want to replace the Yankee Hill muzzle brake with a compensator. No flash hider, not sure about those in general in MA so I just avoided that issue and bought a compensator. However, I am assuming that because I have a registered SBR, I do not need to pin my muzzle device or braze it on. I believe that is strictly for people who are using the muzzle device to get to the 16 inch minimum barrel length for MA and Federal compliance

. Am I correct in that assumption?

With that said, does that mean that if you have a 16.5 inch barreled rifle, you can have a "removable" muzzle device and not worry about it being permanently attached?

Take my .338 Lapua, that has a 24 inch barrel and a 2 or 3 inch muzzle brake, I'd expect that I don't have to have that muzzle brake permanently attached...is that a correct assumption?

Thanks for your help in advance. If this was somewhere in the NFA sub forum, I also apologize in advance.

Cheers

STAC

For title I firearms, access to the threads on any barrel are a no-no unless it is pre-ban. Barrel length means nothing except on a Fed level it must be pinned to 16".

It gets murky in SBR territory. Read the NFA FAQ and decide for yourself.

Edit: your 24" barrel still needs a pinned muzzle device if it is semi-auto. If it is bolt action, then it may be unpinned.

As was said yiu sort of need to draw your own conclusion. Pinning it would be the way to play it safe. But its open to interpretation.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

But its open to interpretation.

It would be great if MA could establish a clear set of rules that define exactly what is legal and what isn't.

I think states in America have these things called laws that cover just that.

It would be great if MA could establish a clear set of rules that define exactly what is legal and what isn't.

I think states in America have these things called laws that cover just that.

Be careful what you wish for. Any new state gun laws are likely to leave you longing for the gray areas.

It's often better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

A guns status as a registered SBR has noting to do with how it applies to the state's AWB.

If its pre-ban it doesn't need to be pinned.

If its post-ban, it needs to be pinned.

Massachusetts law defines a rifle as having a barrel of 16 inches or greater. In order for a rifle to be eligible to be an assault rifle, it must be a rifle. Normally you could say sure but an SBR is a rifle obviously, but MA decided to provide their own definition.

It is a gray area at best, but it seems to me a solid argument could be made.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Thats interesting.

Does the law say "a rifle must be 16inches". Or does it say "anything under 16 inches is a handgun".

I ask because CT has a similar law. It says that any firearm with a bbl less than 12" is considered to be a handgun. This brings up all kinds of issues.

Most importantly, a 10" SBR is going to be over the max weight for it not to beconsidered an AW.

On the plus side, you can't carry rifles loaded in your car. But a 10" sbr is considered to be a handgun, so you can carry it loaded. Technically.

Don

p.s. if you can provide a citation, I'd appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom