"Disposable" AK-47s new threat in Florida

Orange County's latest murders reflect an alarming trend for law enforcement: urban firefights with dozens of shots fired.

The shooters in Tuesday night's double killing outside a Pine Hills apartment complex emptied two AK-47s into the victims and fled, discarding the assault rifles, two handguns and a shotgun.

"They just disposed of them like disposable cigarette lighters, I guess, because they're so easy to get," sheriff's homicide Detective Dave Clark said Friday. "I mean, it's really unusual for people to leave stuff like this behind."

Andre Patterson, 27, and Joshua Sharpe, 25, were shot repeatedly in the parking lot of Kensington Cottages apartments on Burroughs Drive off Hiawassee Road. Crime-scene technicians found 58 cartridges fired by the AK-47s and an undisclosed number from the other firearms.

One of the AK-47s had a 30-shot magazine. The other had a 40-shot magazine. Both had been fired until empty.

"We've come across something like this on three or four occasions this year with multiple weapons," said homicide Sgt. Allen Lee. "Just a couple of weeks ago when those [five] people got shot in Apopka, there were at least three different bursts of gunfire while we were there. And there were at least four to nine shots each time."

Crimes involving assault weapons have become so common that police officials across the nation are discussing how to contain the national problem, Sheriff Kevin Beary said this week. "We need to have a round-table with the Police Executive Research Foundation to get some answers," he said.

In the days since the double killing, detectives had learned that Patterson and Sharpe drove to the apartments to help a friend arguing with residents. The two groups clashed. Exactly why is still being investigated to identify the killers, Detective Brian Cross said.

The gunfight continued after deputies began arriving in patrol cars shortly after the 11:25 p.m. 911 call, according to interviews.

"They could have gotten hit," said Clark, noting patrol cars provide virtually no protection against assault rifles.

The victims' minivan and two other vehicles found in the parking lot had been hit by the gunfire. The bullets went through the doors, including a door post, and flattened a tire. The Sheriff's Office impounded the vehicles and confiscated the guns to examine them for clues.

Patterson had been arrested at least 13 times in Orange County on charges related to drugs, violence and firearms. Sharpe, known as "Booty," did not have a record in Orange County.

The killings -- the 55th and 56th in the unincorporated area of the county so far this year -- are being investigated with the help of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

So far, ATF agents based in Orlando discovered that one of the guns, a 9mm Sig-Sauer pistol, was stolen with 46 other firearms in a 2004 burglary of Shoot Straight- Casselberry, a Seminole County gun shop. One of the AK-47s shows likely signs of having been stolen because the serial number had been filed in an attempt to remove it, detectives said.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-shootout1108oct11,0,563660.story

Nice video with story.

Quote: Patterson had been arrested at least 13 times in Orange County on charges related to drugs, violence and firearms. Sharpe, known as "Booty," did not have a record in Orange County.

There's your problem in a nutshell....he should have only been arrested once.

"They just disposed of them like disposable cigarette lighters, I guess, because they're so easy to get," sheriff's homicide Detective Dave Clark said Friday. "I mean, it's really unusual for people to leave stuff like this behind."

Wait... so because they are so easy to get, they are throwing them away, but at the same time, this is really unusual?

YOUR SENTENCE MAKES NO SENSE, DETECTIVE! Jeez, and they pay you to think about stuff, too. Scary. If they were so easy to get that they are regularly throwing them away, it would not be unusual. The fact that it is unusual points to the fact that they are not all that easy to get. Stop drawing nonsensical conclusions.

Obviously an IQ test is not part of the screening process for detectives there.

This isn't good.
the video blames it all on the sunseting of the AWB.....I can see this on ABC nightly news once the bad guy is elected. [sad]

This isn't good.
the video blames it all on the sunseting of the AWB.....I can see this on ABC nightly news once the bad guy is elected. [sad]

Yeah, that's my take on it. They're already beating the drum for a new AWB (+P) in anticipation of an Obama victory.

We'll be seeing a lot more of those blasted-brick-wall videos in the weeks to come, I think.

Heck, I pulled two disposable AKs out of a trash can early this morning, downtown, and a bit of dumpster diving got me a whole box full of disposable mags.
I thought the guy who rides around on his bike and collects empty bottles was wasting his time but now that I know what he has really been getting out of those trash cans he has some serious competition.

We should call up the news paper and ask where we can buy one of these 'disposable' AKs, because all the ones I see are $500+

This isn't good.

Of course, the media will never tell people the guns available before and after the AWB are functionally equivalent, no, can't let facts get in the way of
anything.

-Mike

They aren't disposable...they are called community guns. They are "hidden" in a spot that has relatively easy access but is out of the way enough to not be seen by most people. Shitheads do this with stolen cars too. That way it can't be traced to any one person but it is there if they need it.

I went to the Manchester gun show and couldn't find anyone willing to sell me an AK for under $450 :(

They aren't disposable...they are called community guns. They are "hidden" in a spot that has relatively easy access but is out of the way enough to not be seen by most people. Shitheads do this with stolen cars too. That way it can't be traced to any one person but it is there if they need it.

Like in Grand Theft Auto? Sweet! Time to go exploring!

Back
Top Bottom