• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dirty Reloads

I'm using WIN 231 and on a hot load about 5.5grs it appears ok. I just made a batch with 5.0grs and seems to smokey.It may just be me but it seems that way.I am using 200gr LSWC with federal primers any thoughts?

A lot of loads will not burn clean if wuss charges are used... just the way it works. This phenomenon is different with different powders.

5.5 under a 200 grainer isn't that hot, btw. (especially if the bullet is just lead... ) The load data around for W231 is very, very conservative. I've used up to 5.8 grs on a 230 FMJ with no ill effects, although I don't do it on a regular basis, as it -still- doesn't get me the velocities I want.

If you want to make fluff loads that burn clean get some Winchester WST. I find it burns very clean. The lead smeg from the bullets will be far worse
than whatever the powder leaves behind. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
A lot of loads will not burn clean if wuss charges are used... just the way it works. This phenomenon is different with different powders.

5.5 under a 200 grainer isn't that hot, btw. (especially if the bullet is just lead... ) The load data around for W231 is very, very conservative. I've used up to 5.8 grs on a 230 FMJ with no ill effects, although I don't do it on a regular basis, as it -still- doesn't get me the velocities I want.

If you want to make fluff loads that burn clean get some Winchester WST. I find it burns very clean. The lead smeg from the bullets will be far worse

-Mike

Mike,

Have you ever chronoed any loads with 231? If so what were they? Also what do you need for steel plate? Thanks in advance

Scott

Mike,

Have you ever chronoed any loads with 231? If so what were they?

I did, but sadly, I've lost the "bible" I had containing the exact chrono info. Most of the ones I used were all between the 5.5 and 5.7 gr range, they were low 800s with a 230 gr FMJ bullet out of a 5" 1911, OAL was 1.260 at the time. (that much I do remember). Some plated or lead bullets will go much faster with the same charge weight. (the .45s I typically use have either heavy plating or full jackets).

Also what do you need for steel plate? Thanks in advance

Scott

If the plates aren't calibrated for any one given power factor, and the organizer says "9mm or better" and there's no power factor testing, any -reliable- .45 wuss load will usually take them down no problem. Since I usually don't shoot plates with a .45, I'd have to work up a load for that, but it'd probably be a 200gr SWC
or LSWC of some sort with some WST behind it.

Another thing to watch for is crimp. May not be an issue with 231, but I know that with Titegroup in .45, a lot of people whine about it being dirty
if they don't crimp tight enough.

-Mike

Another thing to watch for is crimp. May not be an issue with 231, but I know that with Titegroup in .45, a lot of people whine about it being dirty
if they don't crimp tight enough.

-Mike[/QUOTE]

Funny you mention this since I just placed a tapper die in staon 5 in the 650 instead of using my crimp/seater in station 4 from RCBS.Perhaps I will try to adjust that and see.

Also I do like 5.4grs of 231 with a 200gr LSWC but people were tellng me thats too much. Hodgdon data mimics what I have heard but my Hornady book says 6 was ok.

i use 4.1 gr of hp38 under a 230 gr laser cast or cb bullet for my 45 lead plinking loads. According to the hodgdon chart it has the exact same specs as w231. this is a whimpy load with little recoil and cycles both my 45's consistently.

-Mike

Dug into my "stash" today to finish zeroing a Sig P220 Equinox that I put a strobe/laser on. Rounds were "Meister" brand that I bought a couple of years ago. Cases were all mix/match, nothing consistent. All rounds were 230 gr. lead.

Absolutely filthy. Smoke was so thick and reflected the strobe so much that it was like looking through thick fog....range lights off. After about 24-32 rds. the lens of the unit was so covered with soot that it looked like a window that had not been washed in 15 years.[grin] Have no idea what they used for powder. That's OK, good practice....but blowing my nose afterwards produced all black. That's how dirty it was.

Upside: Even with a filthy lens, the laser cut through through all the smoke and haze and was eventually able to get it zeroed. The Equinox produced, at 7-15 yd. ranges, a large hole in several different areas of the "Bad Guy" target...despite the lack of visibility due to smoke, and a filthy lens.

Don't know what their "standard" powder is, but I think reloaders would be wise to avoid it. [wink]

Most of the time when using cast it's the lube on the bullet which causes the smoke.

Try bullets from a different company.

Last edited:
Most of the time when using cast it's the lube on the bullet which causes the smoke.

Try bullets from a different company.

+1. I have used 231 in many different loads and never noticed any excessive smoke that could be attributed to the powder; it was always the lube from a cast bullet. Switching to jacketed or plated bullets would always cure the smoke problem.

231 is a smokey powder but when combined with lead bullets it's worse.

Worse because you are burning the lube form the bullet.

TiteGroup and lead bullets is worse. Not only are you burning the lube but the powder burns hot enough to melt the base of the bullet and can cause leading of the barrel.

I got away from using lead and went to plated bullets. Too smokey on an indoor range.

I use Titegroup for most of my handgun calibers. When I use lead bullets, I get alot of smoke but not with fmj bullets. I also think it's the bullet lube.

I'm loading a 200 gr round nose and a 200 gr gr.semi wadcutter right now and if you want to try a different bullet, I'll trade you 1 for 1. I have a few thousand of each. Most of my .45acp gets shot out of full autos so I don't mind the smoke. If you like these bullets, you can get them from the supplier in Stoneham for about $80.00 per thousand.

Back
Top Bottom