• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dillon XL650 powder measure bar movement...

Paleoman

NES Member
Hi,

as as I mentioned in my other thread on press setup, I was wondering about the proper movement of the powder measure's bar.

When I start, the bar appears to be all the way back (the connector is about 1/4" from the end. As I pull down the handle, the bar moves across and reaches the end, when I have another 2" to go still.

after reaching the stop, I pull the arm up, and the bar moves backwards, as expected. When I get all the way back, the bar is maybe 1/2" from the end. When I push the handle forward, as part of the priming process, the bar moves the remain distance, and is back where I started.

Is that expected?

Will I get a full load, if I don't push the handle all the way back to the primer seating position? I was wondering, as when I'm trying to get the load right, I want to keep the case at the second station, and keep dropping powder, as I adjust (and do extra drops to stabilize the drop).

For now, I've been going the full distance of travel to ensure the drop is the same, replacing the case into station two, after it has cycled to station three.

Here is a quick video of the movement and some photos of the position when the bar is up, and then after it was pushed further to the priming position.

https://vimeo.com/182234223

8398822203a4c948f351eeb320279273.jpg

552462ab67812da265f964c8805902e7.jpg

sent from my phone.

Hard to see completely but you don't have the blue wingnut tight enough, the spring in the bottom of the rod should be compressed enough to just fit a business card, this would shorten the pull and move the powder bar further without priming. You should not need to prime to finish the travel of the powder bar. Also the brass slides on the measure, recommend some Teflon dry lube between them, remove the sticking on the down stroke.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Here's a close up of the wing nut. Instructions said to make even with the end of the rod, and then turn nut until spring just touches the underside of the bracket.
d9e54b24b5fd793efbb9050b91828685.jpg

sent from my phone.

Back
Top Bottom