• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dillon Powder Check System and or Powder Check Die

HarryPottar

NES Member
I have the Dillon 650XL ordered in 9mm with the powder check die. I purchased two XL 650 Quick Changes stations, so I get the toolhead and the Powder measure.

I want to make size changes as easy as possible. So those that have these do you order complete Powder Check system for each tool head/size change or can you order just the die and swap the head unit over.

Secondly anyone have the Dillon dust cover, does it fit the 650 and the case feeder, are there better options. Do they do covers for the Quick Change Station

Thanks
Harry

I got separate toolheads for each caliber myself. I have a powder check for I think 9mm, but I dont bother to switch it over when I change calibers. To be honest, I wish I saved a couple of bucks and went without the powder check altogether. I eyeball the powder level in the case when I set the bullet anyway, any wide variation from my intended charge will jump out at me. If you want to go with the powder check and want changes to be as smooth as possible, bite the bullet and go with a check for each toolhead.

Same goes for the primer check. There's a marked difference in the resistance felt between actually setting a primer and pulling the handle without a primer in place to be set. I dont remember if the primer check was an extra or if it comes with the press, but I could go without that as well. Im not trying to sound lackadaisical about safety, I just think after a short time running the press, anyone will get the feel of things and if youre paying attention, the extras arent necessary.

I use an old tablecloth to cover the press and bags from HD to cover the other toolheads. Ghetto, but does the job and you cant beat the price (free). [wink]

Same goes for the primer check. There's a marked difference in the resistance felt between actually setting a primer and pulling the handle without a primer in place to be set. I dont remember if the primer check was an extra or if it comes with the press, but I could go without that as well.

The low primer warning came with the press so figured I might as well use it. The press is set up but I don't have any components other than brass yet so not finished setting up the dies.

Still trying to locate the best place to buy primers,bullets and powder.

Hopefully I can buy just the powder check die for the other tool heads, the unit just comes off with one hex screw.

thanks
harry

The low primer warning came with the press so figured I might as well use it. The press is set up but I don't have any components other than brass yet so not finished setting up the dies.

Still trying to locate the best place to buy primers,bullets and powder.

Hopefully I can buy just the powder check die for the other tool heads, the unit just comes off with one hex screw.

thanks
harry

Powder die is $11.35 at Brian Enos. $10.25 for qty of 3 or more. Link below.

http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.conv.650.html

Not sure where youre located, (or why this text is hyperlinked), but Rileys and Shooter outpost in Hooksett NH have a good selection of components as does Glenns in North Reading MA. Kittery Trading post in ME, Cabelas, local gun shops, if youre new to reloading, dont spend forever looking to save a penny or two. Get some components and get started loading and gaining experience.

@headednorth,Thanks for the link, however I think that is for the powder dies, I have the full quick change kits that includes the tool head, powder measure and powder dies with stand. I'm looking for the powder "check" die. The powder check complete system comes with the die and the buzzer checker. I would like to get the die on it's own so I can leave it set in the tool head and just swap the buzzer over.btw, I'm based around Milford/Bellingham area. I think shooting Supplies in Westport is about my closest reloading supply or though he does not stock Dillon.Thanksharry

The low primer warning came with the press so figured I might as well use it.

Fair enough. I use it as well. The alarm goes off and I get sick of hearing it, so I take the plunger out and go by feel from there. Its obvious when theres no primer being loaded, so the whole thing for me is redundant. Not trying to change your mind about it.

thanks
harry

Dont forget, aside from removing it and re-installing it, you'll have to take the time to recalibrate it not only when youre changing calibers, but also when youre changing charges in the same caliber. (on top of adjusting the powder drop for the new weight) Too much b.s. for me. People have been loading for generations by checking the weight and then looking at the charge to confirm its where it should be. Setting the bullet is the perfect opportunity to eyeball the powder level in the case. The powder check isnt sensitive enough to tell you if youre off by a tenth or two, just if youre grossly over or under, which you can tell by eye anyway.

Again, not trying to tell you what to do, just sharing a little experience. (unsolicited as it may be[wink])

@headednorth,Thanks for the link, however I think that is for the powder dies, I have the full quick change kits that includes the tool head, powder measure and powder dies with stand. I'm looking for the powder "check" die. The powder check complete system comes with the die and the buzzer checker. I would like to get the die on it's own so I can leave it set in the tool head and just swap the buzzer over.btw, I'm based around Milford/Bellingham area. I think shooting Supplies in Westport is about my closest reloading supply or though he does not stock Dillon.Thanksharry

theyre the same.

[h=2]Die Body[/h] The die body is the same unit that is used with the powder measure. It screws into the press toolhead and allows the powder check assembly to be swapped from one toolhead easily.

http://ultimatereloader.com/2010/09/05/dillon-xl-650-1050-powder-check-system/

I have 5x tool heads with the dies all configured. I only have the one powder check and I swap it out whenever I do a caliber change. I then re-calibrate it for the powder charge. This isn't too difficult and a Powder check system is approximately $68.00 per setup so I am saving a substantial amount of cash. I like having an alarm notify me if something is off. I can get cruising on the XL650 and having a primer and powder alarm adds some oversight along with being attentive (everyone has an opinion on this, your experience will dictate if you want a setup for each caliber).
I do have the Dillon dust cover and it does cover the case feeder and the whole unit. Looks nice.
Good choice on 650....

They also have something called a powder check conversion, which I have no experience with. You'd have to check it out and see if its something you could use.

Powder Check Conversion (only available on BrianEnos.com)As purchased initially,The Powder Check System includes a: Powder Die, the electronic warning assembly, and three different sizes of Check Rod/Sleve Assemblies: .22-.29; .30-.41; & .44-.45 Caliber. (The 3 sizes of Check Rod/Sleve Assemblies will check the powder charge for every caliber there is.)
If you plan to load more than one caliber on your 650 or 1050 - you can buy the individual parts required to leave the caliber specific adjustments intact in each Toolhead (Powder Check Conversion). Which is a Powder Die and the caliber-specific Check Rod/Sleve Assembly. Then, by removing one pin, you can easily move the electronic warning assembly from Toolhead to Toolhead (or, technically, from Powder Die to Powder Die) when changing calibers.
Note: If you buy a Powder Check Conversion from my Online Store ("Cal Conv: 650 Page"), you will actually get a Powder Die and a (caliber specific) Check Rod/Sleve Assmebly. (Dillon does not catalog anything called a "Powder Check Conversion.")

I got separate toolheads for each caliber myself. I have a powder check for I think 9mm, but I dont bother to switch it over when I change calibers. To be honest, I wish I saved a couple of bucks and went without the powder check altogether. I eyeball the powder level in the case when I set the bullet anyway, any wide variation from my intended charge will jump out at me. If you want to go with the powder check and want changes to be as smooth as possible, bite the bullet and go with a check for each toolhead.

Same goes for the primer check. There's a marked difference in the resistance felt between actually setting a primer and pulling the handle without a primer in place to be set. I dont remember if the primer check was an extra or if it comes with the press, but I could go without that as well. Im not trying to sound lackadaisical about safety, I just think after a short time running the press, anyone will get the feel of things and if youre paying attention, the extras arent necessary.

I use an old tablecloth to cover the press and bags from HD to cover the other toolheads. Ghetto, but does the job and you cant beat the price (free). [wink]

I run the primer alarm because of the way the Dillon primer feed works, if run dry then I have to fiddle with stuff after refilling the primer tube. Sure it's just hand cycling the primer feed thing 7-8 times but why bother when I have the alarm already? Not having to look at the weight/indicator rod means I keep looking where I need to - into the case to check the powder. Alarm goes off I run a couple more rounds, refill the tube and never miss a beat.

I have the powder alarm on for 9mm but I look in the case anyway. I don't run it for 38Super because it's obvious when the right charge is in there. I might get another die body and change over the alarm itself when I start loading fo-tay on this press, especially if I'm loading clays for minor because it's a small charge and not the easiest to see. The alarm won't tell you if you're a little off, just when something is drastically wrong. If you don't keep it clean and adjusted it will also false alarm on you.

Back
Top Bottom