• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dillon 650 Primers Seating Upside Down

It's been a couple of months since I've hit the reloading bench up, but since my 9mm inventory is running low, last night I sat down and started running 9mm through my Dillon 650. after reloading about 125~150 rounds, one of the rounds in the finished bin caught my eye. Primer was seated upside down.

IMG_0143.jpg

I finished up reloading the last 50 rounds and went through all the rounds. 14 of the 200 had upside down primers. FYI, I was using mixed range brass and CCI Small Pistol Primers.

Anyone run into this issue on a Dillon press? I checked the shellplate tightness, primers all went in the correct way, using the correct primer feed wheel, etc. I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds on this press and haven't run into this issue.

Plan is take apart the priming unit and give it a good cleaning, then run another 100 rounds and try to see what's causing this issue or if I can repeat it.

I will state the obvious, but I'm sure you have thought of these.

Did you double, triple check that the primers where all the right way before you picked them up?

Did you use the small primer tube and the small primer wheel, did you have the primer push rod in with the customary empty shell for extra weight?

The only issue I ever had with the primer wheel was jamming, I beveled the primer wheel very, very slightly on the top, just a kiss with the drill press and never had an issue since.

harry

Thanks for the feedback Harry. And the answer is yes to all your questions.

I'll do a deep clean of the primer unit, make sure everything is tightened, and see if I can reproduce the error.

But as for potentially beveling the wheel, I'll probably just contact Dillon before making any DIY mods.

Check your primer feed tube to make sure its actually clean. Back when I had a 550, over a long period of time some invisible gunk would build up in there and cause weird things (like that) to happen). I used a bore brush on a cleaning rod and made a couple passes on each tube I had, problem solved.

Hopefully EddieCoyle sees this I think he has at least one 650 in rotation, and he's probably one of two or three guys around here that has loaded a shitload of ammunition, so I bet he has an idea of the causes of this.

-Mike

make sure that the tube in the press is for "small primers"... I had the same thing happen when I had the large primer tube in the press - guess there is enough room to allow them to flip as they are moving down....

- - - Updated - - -

you are also lucky that none of these detonated on you when seating....

shellplate timing and loosening will cause primer upside down or sideways,to check the shellplate Push down on the edge of the shellplate at station 4. If it feels springy you need to tighten. I have same problem but I adjust the timing and tightened up the shellplate. Now there's no problem.

Last edited:
Hopefully EddieCoyle sees this I think he has at least one 650 in rotation, and he's probably one of two or three guys around here that has loaded a shitload of ammunition, so I bet he has an idea of the causes of this.

-Mike

I have no idea. I don't recall ever flipping a primer in my 650.

Make sure the shell plate is tight, the allen screws that hold in the primer tube assembly are tight, and pull out and clean the primer seating anvil.

You're not filling tubes with a Vibra-prime, are you?

I have the same problem with my 650. I called Dillon and they said to make sure the machine was secured well so I bolted it to the wall as well as to the bench. I still get an occasional upside down primer. It must go in the tube upside down because I can't see any way it could flip over once it's in the tube.

I get some flipped primers from time to time in my 1050.. if you use the vibratory primer tube filler they be sensitive to brand and even certain lots of primers... i often windup with 10 to 20 upside down out of 1000.

I also wind up with 10 to 20 case that failed to decap or not decapped sometimes....which leave the spent primer crush in the case.. they rarely go off even when put to this extreme.
Is easier cheaper to load them with the decaping pin removed so a powderspill wont cause a partial index posabilly bending the decapin stem.. this is only common in rifle rounds.

Just cleaning/inspecting your setup should help, and if you are using the vibratory filler.. adjust it and watch every primer drop into the tube a few times

Try different primers.. i prefer cci over tula

Last edited:
I get some flipped primers from time to time in my 1050.. if you use the vibratory primer tube filler they be sensitive to brand and even certain lots of primers... i often windup with 10 to 20 upside down out of 1000.

I also wind up with 10 to 20 case that failed to decap or not decapped sometimes....which leave the spent primer crush in the case.. they rarely go off even when put to this extreme.
Is easier cheaper to load them with the decaping pin removed so a powderspill wont cause a partial index posabilly bending the decapin stem.. this is only common in rifle rounds.

Just cleaning/inspecting your setup should help, and if you are using the vibratory filler.. adjust it and watch every primer drop into the tube a few times

Try different primers.. i prefer cci over tula

1-2% failure rate seems pretty high to me, doesn't that drive you crazy?

No......i find it acceptable to pretty good.
It does bother me when loading tracers because the projectile is the most expensive component and i dont pull anything down. when they are projectiles i make( which 90% of my reloads are) scapping them is not big deal

This is on my automated press. So a few bad rounds aren't a huge waste of time like if i was doing it on a single stage press.

I also think my rejects would be greatly reduced if i payed more attention.

How are the tubes being filled with primers? Do you do it yourself with a flip tray or a machine?

On my 550B I had problems with primers flipping over until I replaced the plastic noogie on the end of the primer feed tube.

On my 550B I had problems with primers flipping over until I replaced the plastic noogie on the end of the primer feed tube.
A bad "orifice" will cause all kinds of issues..i think its the 550 that uses a brass orifice. I bought one to try in my 1050..there is a safety notice on Dillons website not to use it in a 1050.
So needless to say im dieing to try it out.

Edit ..i meant to say 650 not 550

Last edited:
A bad "orifice" will cause all kinds of issues..i think its the 550 that uses a brass orifice. I bought one to try in my 1050..there is a safety notice on Dillons website not to use it in a 1050.
So needless to say im dieing to try it out.

Brass?

I'm not sure what an "oriface" is, 'cuz the only brass parts I can think of on my 550B are the buttons and maybe the tip of the set screw that holds the shellplate rod from turning.

What am I forgetting?

the dingus on the end of the primer tube is plastic on mine.

Maybe this is a terminology problem.

The 650 does indeed have a brass orifice dimensionally the same as a 1050 without slots cut in it.
I might give it a try.next time i change rhe orifice

Back
Top Bottom