Differences in 7.62X39 Wolf & opinions on alternatives

Twigg

NES Member
My SAR-1 is hungry so it's time to stock up.

Anybody know what the difference is between 7.62X39 Wolf black box & Military Classic ? Do they both have the polymer coating ?

My local source is out of the Wolf 7.63X39, all to be found there was TCW - Made in Russia, which I believe is lacquer coated (LCB on box).

Your opinions please on alternatives to Wolf; Brown/Silver Bear, Golden Tiger, Hotshot & Romanian manufactured in Spam cans.

From what I understand the classic military stuff is lacquer coating and the regular wolf is polymer, the lacquer was replaced with polymer to overcome the build up in the chamber. All I ever use in my AK is Bear and Wolf so I have never had any problems which come form switching back and forth between steel and brass casings. As for alternatives I will leave that to the experts.

the SAR1 will eat anything you can feed it. Use what is available.

I agree, especially what is cheapest.

As for the rest of 7.62x39 ammo... a few of my SKS rifles won't shoot the grey Wolf steel cased ammo that well. Found that out at the Spring member's shoot when I got a bunch of light primer hits in my Russian SKS while using it. Further testing days later using other SKS types had the same results so I know it was the ammo. Yet the stuff runs great in my SAR1 even when bump firing. It is probably the least accurate 7.62x39 ammo though that I've shot.

Golden Tiger 7.62x39 on the other hand has been the most reliable and most accurate military style ammo that I've ever used in all my rifles that shoot 7.62x39. When I see this stuff for $160 at shows I buy it up like a crackhead buying rocks.[laugh]

Only other type I've tried is surplus Romanian which is corrosive and was ok for accuracy. I have a few stripper clips full of some steel core Norinco ammo but am just saving it for collector value since its banned from importation now.

I was concerned about lacquer build-up, until recently all I've been able to get was either kind of the Wolf, now I'm finding all kinds of stiuff available except Wolf. [thinking]

Thanks and a Tip O'the Stetson™
yo.gif

Back
Top Bottom