Did something I told myself I wouldn't: Clean my Glock

When I got this gun about 11 months ago I don't remember whether I even took it to the range for some break-in shots. I think I took it directly to an IDPA competition.

I told myself I'd do my own sort of torture test; not throwing into bricks or lighting farts at it, but just simply not cleaning it and running a lot of rounds through it. I shoot in the rain, have rolled around in the dirt with it (yes I know don't ask).

Test:
For the next 11 months I kept shooting and shooting. This was my primary range gun as well as competition gun.
I shoot IDPA on weekends when I can. I shoot maybe once a week. Sometimes twice a week. Hell, sometimes 3 or 4 times if I was feeling frisky. If I wasn't shooting IDPA I might find some steel to shoot.

Maintenance:
I would use a drop of break-free on the slide rails and then a drop on the barrel itself. I would wipe the exterior of the slide down so it wouldn't dirty my safe. It has never seen a patch down the barrel.

Reliability:
Never any issues ( I had a mag issue before but that was it)

Reason for Cleaning:
It finally ate away ate me: I couldn't bear to have the gun so dirty inside. I broke down and cleaned it yesterday.
At this point I wasn't too sure how many rounds have been down the pipe. My guess is maybe 4000-6000 rounds. Mostly FMJ but also some Copper Coated.
I've wiped the outside of it down so I wouldn't get my safe dirty.

Cleaning:
Upon inspection there seemed to be a light coat of crud everywhere except inside the barrel. I was wrong. It was a really heavy coat, especially on the feed ramp. I even found some remnants of Glock factory lubricant on the back end of the slide.

The barrel cleaned after 1 patch ran through it. I was pretty amazed. I ran a total of 4 patches before it was pretty damn clean. Rifling looked perfect.

I soaked the barrel in a small film canister of Hoppes for a few minutes to try and loosen up some of the dingleberries. Worked well.

I ended up detail stripping the slide and cleaned it.
I wiped the inside of the frame ever so slightly. Maybe I'll clean the frame in more detail next year or the the year after...or may never.

I really don't think I needed to clean this thing. It was much better than expected, even with a slide cutout that exposed the barrel and frame to the elements.

5b7ozq.jpg

24d5820.jpg

2j756v.jpg

2v7wkrd.jpg

2ez0ff4.jpg

23vxnrm.jpg

2hn04z6.jpg

29c1fvb.jpg

34y4kyr.jpg

24bnalj.jpg

2j4boy0.jpg

2zrgec4.jpg

2regwlg.jpg

1fzn1t.jpg

b3ty8j.jpg

bduq1x.jpg

Last edited:
before pics: looks like any of my guns after a box of UMC. [rofl]

About half of what has been through that gun was Remington UMC (Dick's Special)

The other half was Winchester White box

A small amount were my own reloads and some American Eagle.

of the three i like the american eagle the best.

overall i'm surprised the gun wasn't much dirtier (then again i also didn't see it in person). very nice piece might i add.

I just can't get over the habit of keeping my weapon clean at all possible times.

Yup. I carry Glocks, and it's nice to know they can survive a torture test, but I treat my Glocks better than I treat any of my other posessions (and I take care of my stuff).

Thanks for posting Underwhere.

of the three i like the american eagle the best.

Just for shits: Out of the G34, AE 115 grain chrono'd on average 1166fps and WWB chrono'd 1220fps so it seems WWB is a little hotter than AE.

Don't have any more UMC to test.

wow, really? i would have had it pegged the other way around.

i wonder what the PMC chronos at... it feels weak--my girlfriend loves it with the beretta though.

very nice, under!

this is why i love Glocks. like some have said here before;

"you could find a Glock that sunk with the titanic, bring it to the surface and fire the ammo in the mag!"

man they are great guns. ive never seen one as dirty as yours!

i would love to open that bad boy up and see where else the crud is hiding

very nice, under!

this is why i love Glocks. like some have said here before;

"you could find a Glock that sunk with the titanic, bring it to the surface and fire the ammo in the mag!"

man they are great guns. ive never seen one as dirty as yours!

i would love to open that bad boy up and see where else the crud is hiding

What I found was that the trigger itself had quite a lot of junk on it. The dust found its way down through the frame and deposited on the trigger.

It was caked on there as well. Never noticed it.

Back
Top Bottom