• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Detail included in background check for new and renewal of LTC

Hi all,

I am curious if anyone knows the detail and breadth of information that comes up on background checks when you go to renew or apply for a new LTC. is it only criminal and mental health history? Do they also track residency or which states you have lived in?

reason I ask, if I worked in another state for a few years but did not legally change or declare residency, does this show up on a background check and therefore need to be disclosed?

thanks!

The LTC application form asks for states you’ve resided in. It doesn’t ask dates of residency.

And, really, why should the LO or chief care that you chose to pay MA income tax when you could have paid it in another state? All they want to know is which states to do a criminal record check in.

So, unless your other state employment was “bank robber” and you got caught, I wouldn’t loose sleep on this. Don’t perjure yourself and don’t provide more details than the form asks for.

IANAL, etc., etc.

R

The LTC application form asks for states you’ve resided in. It doesn’t ask dates of residency.

And, really, why should the LO or chief care that you chose to pay MA income tax when you could have paid it in another state? All they want to know is which states to do a criminal record check in.

So, unless your other state employment was “bank robber” and you got caught, I wouldn’t loose sleep on this. Don’t perjure yourself and don’t provide more details than the form asks for.

IANAL, etc., etc.

R
That’s helpful. I guess the other question or concern comes from if you had an active LTC at the time from MA, worked in another state for a few years, and didn’t declare or notify anyone that you did this. I know within the state you need to notify the proper authorities almost immediately when you switch towns. Mind you, residency was never declared, drivers license never changed, etc. this would be a reason NOT to inform LO or the chief out of concern they may knock you for not notifying anyone of a “change of residence” even if you don’t consider it to be that.
Thanks!

IANAL, etc., etc.

R
Good advice.

That’s helpful. I guess the other question or concern comes from if you had an active LTC at the time from MA, worked in another state for a few years, and didn’t declare or notify anyone that you did this. I know within the state you need to notify the proper authorities almost immediately when you switch towns. Mind you, residency was never declared, drivers license never changed, etc. this would be a reason NOT to inform LO or the chief out of concern they may knock you for not notifying anyone of a “change of residence” even if you don’t consider it to be that.
Thanks!

Renewal is a slightly different story.

If you did NOT get a DL in the other state and did NOT register to vote in the other state, and KEPT your MA DL w/o changing address and KEPT your LTC and are renewing in the same town, my (IANAL and this is not legal advice) advice would be the same.

Don’t perjure by NOT listing the other state(s) and do Not supply dates the form doesn’t ask for.

Alternatively, consult a real lawyer rather than an internet forum :)

R

I don't think that the authorities really have a good handle on keeping the LTCs up to date. I had a MA LTC, moved to CT and officially changed residency etc. I sent all the required notification letters regarding my move and assumed my LTC was deactivated and no longer valid. A few years later I ended up moving back to MA and my local licensing officer decide to treat my application as a renewal. He ran into some problems with the state because my old license was still active. Now I live in NH and don't even worry about this crap anymore.

I don't think that the authorities really have a good handle on keeping the LTCs up to date. I had a MA LTC, moved to CT and officially changed residency etc. I sent all the required notification letters regarding my move and assumed my LTC was deactivated and no longer valid. A few years later I ended up moving back to MA and my local licensing officer decide to treat my application as a renewal. He ran into some problems with the state because my old license was still active. Now I live in NH and don't even worry about this crap anymore.
It's up to the issuing PD to cancel the LTC on notification, so if they are lazy, it never gets cancelled.

Back
Top Bottom