• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deleting your own postings

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
I know this feature is disabled but I guess I have to ask why. Seems like it would be very handy to delete your own stuff if you decide that it's prudent to do after you type before you think.

What's the logic for suppressing this ability? I know there is probably a very good reason, but it eludes me.

Thanks

The logic comes from people posting stuff they shouldnt and removing it before being banned.

...t would be very handy to delete your own stuff if you decide that it's prudent to do after you type before you think.

It would come in handy for when you reply to something, then after scrolling down, or flipping to the next page see the same answer was already posted or your answer is no longer needed. I run into this periodically here. This is one of the few forums where one can't delete one's own posts. Oh well. That said, it's not my forum.

One may always edit one's post and delete the words. The posting will still show, but there won't be any words there. You could also simply type "Please delete." and one of us will do that for you. [smile]

You could also simply type "Please delete." and one of us will do that for you. [smile]

Not always. Nobody should count on that.

Folks regularly ask for sold items to be deleted and that is not our policy so we don't do that, we move them to Sold.

There may be other reasons not to delete a response or a thread in some cases. Can't think of anything particular right now, just don't want to set "wholesale expectations" on something that might not be the case.

Best to read thoroughly and think twice before clicking that "Submit Reply" button.

Not always. Nobody should count on that.

Folks regularly ask for sold items to be deleted and that is not our policy so we don't do that, we move them to Sold.

There may be other reasons not to delete a response or a thread in some cases. Can't think of anything particular right now, just don't want to set "wholesale expectations" on something that might not be the case.

Best to read thoroughly and think twice before clicking that "Submit Reply" button.

While I agree with the highlighted part Len, if they've edited the post to remove what was there and then typed "please delete" in it's space, and that's all there was in the post, would we leave it? Probably not dear one. [smile]

I see no reason at all for leaving a post marked "Please Delete". I remove them all the time on the forums I moderate, they serve no useful purpose and irritate the OP - why? Regular members should be treated with the same respect you want them to treat the forum with.

Back
Top Bottom