Delay, defacto waiting period?

knoxy

NES Member
Got delayed for the 3rd time on a transfer via ffl.

Was told I could check back in 7 days.

I thought it was a 3 day max wait on a delay?

Did that change? Am I imagining shit?

It's bullshit since i have absolutely zero reason to be delayed.

It's mutherfukin infringement.

If it's company policy, so be it.

But it had to start with decisions made by govt tool bags.

How many recent mass shooters got delayed?

Dylann Roof got delayed. 3 days later he picked up his gun. Then he shot up a black church.

Just be glad it isn't wally world or any number of big box stores who's policy is to ONLY transfer on a "Proceed". If you get a delay you will never get a gun from them. Every BB store I have worked at here, except Academy Sports, is that way and has been since the Charleston shooting.

ETA: Academy still won't transfer after 3 days. They wait until they get a proceed or 30 days elapses. At which point you have to do a new 4473.

It's mutherfukin infringement.

Had an argument with an anti on reddit about this.

Is it infringement?

According to him, 2A only guarantees ownership, not the right to buy. Decent argument, but it's difficult to "keep and bear" unless someone knowledgeable can produce!

Had an argument with an anti on reddit about this.

Is it infringement?

According to him, 2A only guarantees ownership, not the right to buy. Decent argument, but it's difficult to "keep and bear" unless someone knowledgeable can produce!
I know its not your argument, BUT, it's a silly argument. It IS an infringement.

If .gov says this avenue is the only avenue for legal ownership, then they own the whole process. Any hiccup in the process to buy is an infringement on ownership.

Got delayed for the 3rd time on a transfer via ffl.
Was told I could check back in 7 days.
I thought it was a 3 day max wait on a delay?
Did that change? Am I imagining shit?

The FFL cannot count the day they received the delay response and there must be three full working days before they are allowed to complete the sale on the day following that period.

Here is a chart...
A NICS Delay — FBI

:emoji_tiger:

Sometimes they get a proceed in hours. Did they at least tell you they will notify you if they get the proceed. Sounds like a pissed off dealer because you did not buy the gun from them.

If you look anything like your avatar pic I wouldn’t sell you a gun either!!

Yeah, he'll call me with a proceed. They're good people, perhaps misinfomed.

This comes back to the same nonsense. If you are not going to do the standard thing (Sell the gun after the delay passes 3 working days) it should be posted all over the place. They can have whatever policy they like, but they should not be sneaky about it and hit you with it after they have your gun in their hands. If they make it clear, then you can choose to go somewhere that cares about the customer instead of someone who is so afraid of their own shadow they would hold on to your property until the government gets around to looking at the check and letting it proceed.

I'd say out the shop once you have the item in your possession (To avoid them trying to screw with you in retaliation) so that others know who has these policies in place.

I'd say out the shop once you have the item in your possession (To avoid them trying to screw with you in retaliation) so that others know who has these policies in place.

Sorry which "policies in place" is the FFL being "outed" for?

I ask because if @knoxy got delayed Friday 6/7 then Thursday 6/13 is the earliest the law allows the FFL to complete without a proceed.

That is the seventh day as in @knoxy saying "Was told I could check back in 7 days".

Just curious.

Sorry which "policies in place" is the FFL being "outed" for?

I ask because if @knoxy got delayed Friday 6/7 then Thursday 6/13 is the earliest the law allows the FFL to complete without a proceed.

That is the seventh day as in @knoxy saying "Was told I could check back in 7 days".

Just curious.

Well first that would be day 6, secondly that is not the situation as it was laid out. Situation "Was told I could check back in 7 days" is not the same as "If we get no response we will transfer your gun in 7 days" If that is the case, and that happens to be 7 days because that is the requirement then fine, but that isn't how it sounds at all. Any policy other than "We will transfer the gun as soon as the law allows on a delay" should be posted all over and the shop should be clear about it upfront.

But to point out it is working days for the FBI not the shop.

DSC_0339.jpg

Get a UPIN. Some bad guy has the same name as you. Likely you’ll be delayed every time.
How the hell this guy is not on Smoking Gun,
I'll never know.

A few things, first keep in mind if you get a delay you can cancel, try again later, or take your business elsewhere - nothing wrong with that.

The shop I do 100% of my business with today, who is mostly a custom AR shop, as a policy does not transfer upon default proceed - at least not after just 72 hours of it. Why? Well they have been burned by a denial later where they are behooved to start calling and trying to get the person to return the gun, ATF may get involved - looks bad if it goes public, not that they did anything wrong but some FFLs feel a responsibility if they sold a gun to an actual bad guy (not that most PPs are bad guys really but some are)..

Me personally, I own lots of guns - one more is just gravy. If I get a delay Id rather wait and send a lawyer off questioning the gun line folks for answers (ie during a NH pistol purchase) versus running the risk of taking the gun and having some mistake be made later where the ATF, or worse local cops, might try to sneak up on me and will end up taking all my guns, ammo, mags, who knows what. A delay can mean they think something isnt right - Id rather have confirmation Im good to go, or have them deny me knowing I didnt get the gun, versus leaving things to chance later.

Back
Top Bottom