Defensive Carbine Match April 16, 2011 - Pioneer Sportsmen Club, Dunbarton, NH

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!!! [smile]

Pioneer Sportsmen Club in Dunbarton, NH is please to announce that a Defensive Carbine Match on April 16 will be the first match of the 2011 Season.

This will be an IDPA style defensive shooting match with carbines in .223, 7.62x39, or pistol calibers (sorry we do not permit .308). There will also be a Rimfire Division and competitors will be organized into "Optics" or "Iron Sights" divisions.

• Competitiors will be run through 5 stages using IDPA-like targets, scoring, and rules.
• Plan to bring at least 3 magazines and at least 150 rounds of ammunition for your rifle.
• You will need a sling or case to carry your rifle when not shooting.
• You may also bring a pistol (.38sp or 9mm minimal) for a $5.00 Pistol Side Match. Your holster should fully enclose the trigger guard and be worn strong side on hip or thigh. Bring 25 rounds for the Pistol Side Match.
• Registration and squad assignments begin at 8:45 AM; safety brief at 9:15 AM and shooting will begin promptly at 9:30 AM. We will shoot RAIN or SHINE.
• Bring plenty of water and a bagged lunch.

Entry Fee is $30 and the match is limited to 50 competitors, so you may want to reserve your slot now via e-mail to Chris Currier, Match Director [email protected], rather than wait to register the morning of the match. In your e-mail please include your name, address, and phone number. On the day of the match, registration will close promptly at 9:15 AM.
(Unfortunately, we will not be able to accomodate 2nd run throughs at this match. )

Driving Directions are here

Pioneer Sportsmen Club always has very creative stages which utilize our "Shoot House", "The Wall" and often vehicles. Come find out what our diabolical team has dreamed up for this match! What better way to start off the 2011 shooting season! Hope to see you there!!

Last edited:
buickgn72,

I'm assuming you must have some experience shooting a rifle, but probably not shooting in a match. We all were once in your position. Shooting in a carbine match can, in many ways, be a good environment to be exposed to defensive type shooting. Muzzle control is better with a rifle and you don't have to worry about an inexperienced shooter drawing from a holster. Obviously, you will need to be familiar with your firearm, and demonstrate safe handling skills.

We all have egos to some extent, but don't be embarassed when you identify yourself to the Safety Officer as a NEW match shooter. He/she will respect you for your honesty and this will allow him/her to be more alert to your inexperience and help guide you.

Approach the match with the mindset that this is an opportunity for you to learn and DON'T RUSH! If this is your first match, you are not going win. No one is going to remember next week or next month how well you shot, but I GUARANTEE they WILL remember you if you muzzle them, forget to keep your finger out of the trigger guard, forget to place the safety on, or you have a negligent discharge.

Take sometime in the next week to practice mag changes, clearing jams, proper loading and charging, and make sure you are in the habit of verifying the position of the safety. Be aware of the muzzle during all these drills. Practice these drills without live ammo till it feels almost second nature. Just manipulating the firearm empty will make you more comfortable with it. If you have access to a range, by all means, get out and shoot. Load the mags with 1-2 rds and shoot to slide lock, do a mag change, and repeat. Always, always, always keep your finger out of the trigger till you're on target and keep the muzzle pointed downrage at the berm.

For some reason the word, "Match" seems to automatically elevate our blood pressure and intimidate those who have never shot a match, but in actuallity these local matches are more like, "Hey, we're setting up some scenarios to practice with, why don't you come on over and shoot with us?" You will not meet a nicer, more helpful, more friendly group of people than you will at a shooting match. We welcome all who want to shoot safely! We are truly a high caliber breed of humans!

Ok thanks for the info...I have shot at an appleseed before..and have been handling fire arms for most my life..so im I guess I'll be a beginner at a competition. can't wait to meet you guys see you in a week or so ...

These carbine matches are really a lot of fun. I'd like to say I won't be competing because I wanted to open up a slot for you others, but in actuality it's just because I'll be out of town that weekend. :( I hope all who attend will have a great time and tell your friends how much you enjoyed it. The group at PSC puts a considerable amount of time and effort into these matches, with the intent to make them challenging and enjoyable. If we fall short of expectations, we'd like to know and can accept contructive criticism. Better yet, volunteer to help participate setting up the next match. We can't improve if we don't know what we're doing wrong. Have a great shoot!

Just a couple more days till the match. We have had several pre-registrations and the workcrews have been busy designing and creating the stages. Still plenty of slots for showing up on the day of the match. This is going to be a great time!! :)

Some crappy cell phone pics...

Well, this was a ton of fun for me and a bit of a learning experience as well.
Thanks and a Tip O'the Stetson™
yo.gif
to the folks at Pioneer for running this !

Lesson learned: Lube the dang rifle before the match.
I'm still breaking in the new upper and while I remembered to clean it I forgot to oil the upper and it locked up on me. [rolleyes]

In no particular order here's a hint of what 'cha missed:
f341b5d0.jpg

5fb65284.jpg

26793e26.jpg

e7f24edf.jpg

0204895a.jpg

On this stage, in addition to the IDPA targets there were some steel plates, one at the little side berm and then four 8" plates waaaaay down on the 100 yard berm (the little orange dots). They looked just as small in person too. [laugh]

Thanks again guys !

Last edited:
scores were emailed to your email address you entered on the signup sheet - didn't get yours?

With the Flame Thrower?

It would have been with the flame thrower. I was thinking of also shooting my 9mm AR as the pits are perfect size for it.... but it is all for not because I have to take the moms, and the mom to be, to breakfast Saturday morning so I can shoot Harvard on Sunday. Its all about balance if you know what I mean... [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom