Defense in Japan

I got the best possible solution......DON"T GO TO JAPAN,if it's business no choice but that's what video conference is for. Small rant here,as much as I would like to "see the world" as an American,I can't see why I should. Most of the world hates "us" except when they have their had out for aid etc. As far as I'm concerned they can all starve cause they ain't getting my tourist dollars any time soon.

[thinking]

Yay for xenophobia.

I've been through a lot of Europe and had no problems. Even the Parisians were more friendly than a lot of what I've encountered in the US.

I don't plan on visiting Egypt or Iran anytime soon though.

+1

+1 for going to Japan and enjoying it.

Been there several times and the only thing that sucks is the flight.

I don't care what kind of food you want to get, Japan has the best of it! I enjoy Japan, but be prepared to spend some $$ on meals.

I carry a small folder when I go - just put it in your checked luggage. (buying a knife over there is an idea, IF you can get around well enough to find one, ) . Surefire is a good idea too. Very unlikely you'll need 'em, but better safe than sorry. I'd rather explain why I had to stab someone than look down from above at someone telling my wife and daughter I wasn't coming home... You can't take pepper spray on the plane, that that's out (I'd be surprised if it was legal there anyway).

They are a refreshingly unapologetic about being a xenophobic culture over there. When we were living there, the governor of Tokyo was quoted in the paper as saying that in the event of an earthquake, that people had to watch out for foreigners who would be looting and breaking the law. He was referring to 3rd generation Koreans, amongst others. Nobody seemed to care, except for the English language paper where somebody wrote a letter to the editor. Contrast that to how such a statement would go over in LA...

I was going to argue and say they stopped that in 2000... but then I went and looked it up. Apparently it's back as of last November. Wonderful.

A lot of countries have done the spanish inquisition on entry pet trick in response to what we did after 9/11. It's the old "Well, if you're going to make OUR people do it, then we'll make YOUR people do it too" spiel.

-Mike

They are a refreshingly unapologetic about being a xenophobic culture over there. When we were living there, the governor of Tokyo was quoted in the paper as saying that in the event of an earthquake, that people had to watch out for foreigners who would be looting and breaking the law. He was referring to 3rd generation Koreans, amongst others. Nobody seemed to care, except for the English language paper where somebody wrote a letter to the editor. Contrast that to how such a statement would go over in LA...

A co-worker related this conversation to me:

Japanese - "we don't have homeless people like you do in the US"

Co-Worker - "but I've seen them..."

Japanse - "Oh, they're Korean"

matt;409269I carry a small folder when I go - just put it in your checked luggage. (buying a knife over there is an idea said:
You can get a knife from a Circle K, but definitely from any airsoft shop. You'd be surprised that you will be able to find one relatively easily. I do believe that pepper spray is illegal there. It's a pretty safe bet that you would'nt be murdered in Japan as the hard criminals tend to stay away from foreigners. your biggest "threat" would be late night drunks or maybe a small gang of young punks...still not worth it spending time in Japanese police holding. 60 or 120 lumens in the eyes works really well and enough to get yourself out of any minor trouble. The Japanese culture is really 2-sided and it is pretty invisible to outsiders unless someone "helps" bring it to light. The Japanese & Koreans really don't get along very well and the Jap gov't takes care of the homeless by tossing them in jail or running them out of the city limits. Even the permanent residents are treated to the "papers please" and other indignities and worse yet the naturalized citizens are still treated like foreign garbage. A friend www.debito.org has a really eye opening site not only about his experiences but other perm residents & ex-pats.

Back
Top Bottom