• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deer relocating.

That ranger is full of crap. Talk to another one and you will get a different answer.
I think there was discussion about this in one of the hunting threads.

It's illegal to feed wildlife. I'll try and find the law in print.

ETA. Oh crap. I can't find anything to backup my statement. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

ETA. Oh crap. I can't find anything to backup my statement. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

It really isn't a good idea to feed the wildlife in general. That I agree to!
But then bird feeders would be illegal too. [wink]

How about a trebuchet baited with fruit tree scraps?
Maybe just a simple catapult or tiger pit.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

In all seriousness, This past winter I had a heard of deer living in the woods around my house and every morning or evening they would come into my yard and browse on the trees and dig around throught the snow for nuts so I started throwing out stuff for them to eat. apples or fruits etc since this was a bad winter for them.
Long story short, I was talking to a MA wildlife ranger and the subject came up about the deer and that I would put out apples for them and he stopped me, mid sentence, to tell me that it was illegal in MA since that is considered baiting. I explained to him that I was not hunting, nor was anyone else, and he said it did not matter that in MA it was still considered baiting reguardless. Now I dont think you would have a problem putting out a lick or what have you to move deer but I wouldnt advertise it to any authorities...
Just wanted to share my story on how the rangers look at it, wheather its true or not, just be cautious

Bullshit. Ask Deb and she will enlighten you.

I know for a fact that you can feed them until two weeks before hunting season.

BTW, the deer can't just go from one food to another overnight. While it was a nice gesture, unless they were eating apples etc for a while you are doing them more harm than good.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

You can feed up to ten days before hunting season begins.........after that the bait must be removed. That was stated by a game warden in my son's hunting course a few months ago.

Down where I hunt in CT....people pretty much put a cage around everything they want to grow. That's about the only thing that really works. Looks like shit, and when the plant grows out of the cage the deer nip the ends off anyway.

Then they call me and tell me to kill every deer I see....some of them wouldn't care if I used a machine gun as long as it resulted in a deer carcass. They prefer I bait because it actually keeps some of the deer,(not all)off of their plants and out of the yard.

Coyote piss, special sprays, etc....is all a joke, half ass band aid. The deer will get used to it over time.......they will also just come around at night if your bugging them durning the day.

Eastern MA will find themselves in a worse boat than southern CT in ten years.....unless they relax the laws as far as discharge of an arrow goes.......... Right now people are all happy to see the "pretty deer"....wait til all their kids get Lyme disease, killed by deer striking cars, and that 500 dollar shrub they planted mowed down in one night. Then we'll see how they feel about the "pretty deer".

Last edited:
BTW, the deer can't just go from one food to another overnight. While it was a nice gesture, unless they were eating apples etc for a while you are doing them more harm than good.

What? Can't change foods???.....I've seen them go from twigs, acorns, shrubs, apples, and corn within ten minutes of sitting on stand. They prefer certain foods at certain times of the year....but will pretty much eat anything. The only thing that happens in winter is their metabolism slows down and they need less food. However, in the winter, they will eat anything they can get.......in good acorn years, I've seen them let apples sit all year long....then in January paw them frozen up out of the ground and eat them.

Last edited:
You can feed up to ten days before hunting season begins.........after that the bait must be removed. That was stated by a game warden in my son's hunting course a few months ago.
You are correct Mark from MA, page 23, 2011 Hunt_Fish_Abstracts Masswildlife.

• Baiting migratory game birds, wild turkey, bear or deer any time within 10 days prior to, or during, the hunting season. This does not apply to the hunting of crows.

Back
Top Bottom