• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deer Butcher

Hello all- anyone know of butchers in MA who will do deer head to toe? Good cuts into steaks, average meat into stew meat and rest in sausage, etc.?

Used to be a guy out here in the west named Middleton. He's a butcher for a supermaret out here, and used to butcher deer to specification. I can inquire with him if you like.

There's a guy in Middleboro who's neighbors were complaining about a couple of years ago. Maybe Pilgrim or some other Middleite will know who he is.

I haven't seen their work but:
1) Scott Quimby, Middleton
2) There's a Lynn butcher shop that will do them, Eastern Ave or Western Ave (whichever runs between 107 and Lynn Shore Drive.

What's a ballpark price for turning a carcass into a bunch of stuff ready for the grill? Or does the butcher just keep a piece of it?

I never realized there was an option other than cutting up your own, but I'm also not a deer hunter, just curious. (I have taken cows to Blood Farms in Groton and they've done a nice job. That was a while back, but I want to say it was $150-200--much larger than a deer, though.)

Dan Strum, lower hampden Road monson Ma right near intersection with Zion rd
Big sign out front

Does a fantastic job.
Deer completely boned out, burger ground, packaged and vaccume packed 80 bucks.

Additives to burger (pork fat) and sausage can be made for extra charge.

I made a trip to Blood Farm in Groton and chatted with a very nice woman in the retail section. They'll do deer, bear and moose (although it's a long trip back to MA from anywhere you are allowed to shoot one- better hope it's cold outside during the drive!). The cost was, I think, $120. If you wanted to do a shoulder mount after there was an additional cost to keep the head/shoulders in good shape for the taxidermist.

I also ended up buying some flank steaks, calves liver, strip steaks, breakfast sausages, etc. while I was there....all butchered on the spot.

I'll let everyone know about the meat and the butchering....should I ever harvest a deer.

The cost was, I think, $120. If you wanted to do a shoulder mount after there was an additional cost to keep the head/shoulders in good shape for the taxidermist.

I'll let everyone know about the meat and the butchering....should I ever harvest a deer.

Holy crap that is highway robbery!!!! [shocked][shocked][shocked]

Holy crap that is highway robbery!!!! [shocked][shocked][shocked]

You may be right. But it was, by far, the closest place to me that was recommended by the members. I also did an internet search on them and discovered they sold the freshest cuts of meat you can find at very reasonable prices. With the reputation from hunters and regulars alike I'll pay the extra if need be...

Hello all- anyone know of butchers in MA who will do deer head to toe? Good cuts into steaks, average meat into stew meat and rest in sausage, etc.?

Get a few buddies together and do it yourself ....we pick a nite and cook some ,few beers, and alot of stories ...not many of them true but a good time ...it's easy ...check out a butcher dvd and find it'sa piece of cake ...good luck and feel free to ask questions ,alot of good guys will be glad to help out

Back
Top Bottom