Decisded on a Thpmpson Center Impact.......advice on loads please!

This is a terrible terrible idea. You sighted in with A, but you go hunting with B? This is completely illogical, and you are flying by the seat of your pants.

I totally agree.

Everyone I have talked to says the accuracy with 3 pellets is garbage, and no one hunts with 3, they just use 2. I have gone completely through the hips of a deer (was blocked by a tree from a good shot) with 2 grains and 250gr bonded, and it went in and out and the deer bled to death by the time I walked over. I have also hunted 250 lb+ wild boar with it,and it broke shoulder bone no problem.

I'd say go with two pellets if you want any accuracy, there is no real need for the extra power, you probably won't be able to apply it. Maybe if I were hunting moose...

Simply not true for everyone. There are lots of variables. With the right sabot and bullet most of the modern BP rifles are capable of very good accuracy with two or three 50g powder pellets. I know that mine is. It will shoot equally well IF I do my part.

Is it necessary to kill a deer. Nope.
It is not a load that I would want to shoot all day and you better not be recoil sensitive.

Bob

I totally agree.

Simply not true for everyone. There are lots of variables. With the right sabot and bullet most of the modern BP rifles are capable of very good accuracy with two or three 50g powder pellets. I know that mine is. It will shoot equally well IF I do my part.

Is it necessary to kill a deer. Nope.
It is not a load that I would want to shoot all day and you better not be recoil sensitive.

Bob

I think what you guys are saying is if you plan to load 3 pellets to hunt you better zero your gun with 3 pellets to see if it groups well. And as far as recoil......I used 250 grain over 3 pellets and it was significant enough that I was not going to load a 300 grain projo over 3 pellets.......not that day anyway!

I think what you guys are saying is if you plan to load 3 pellets to hunt you better zero your gun with 3 pellets to see if it groups well.

Yes.

And as far as recoil......I used 250 grain over 3 pellets and it was significant enough that I was not going to load a 300 grain projo over 3 pellets.......not that day anyway!

Yes it is significant and I think that is often the cause of the accuracy issues.

Bon

This is a terrible terrible idea. You sighted in with A, but you go hunting with B? This is completely illogical, and you are flying by the seat of your pants.

maybe to you. I used this load chart as a reference. https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/data/example_load_charts/loadchart_1362674909.pdf
It is showing that zeroed at 150 yds the difference is 0.5". that is what I am seeing in my rifle. the results that others are showing from their rifles are different.

maybe to you. I used this load chart as a reference. https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/data/example_load_charts/loadchart_1362674909.pdf
It is showing that zeroed at 150 yds the difference is 0.5". that is what I am seeing in my rifle. the results that others are showing from their rifles are different.

Your original post made it sound like you never shot a three pellet load and were hunting with an untested load.

I get similar performance out of my TC Impact most of my range time is spend shooting a two pellet load but always shoot some three pellet loads. I hunt with a three pellet load.

Bob

Great choice. I have an impact as well and love it. I use 100 grains or blackhorn 209 powder / 290 grain Barnes TEZ Solid Copper Sabots / CCI 209 primers. I am not sure you can go wrong with this combination. I practice at the range with 300 grain Hornady Sabots which are less expesive and can be had at Dicks. I am not familar with the lubricated bullets, but I am not sure how they would be an improvement over the Sabots.
Where did you find blackhorn 209 powder?

Thanks. I looked at a few LGS and none have any large amount of muzzle loader stuff out yet.......guess I'm a little early.

Nicks in Palmer might have it as well. I know that i can get Goex and Swiss there for my older BP rifles. They have to keep it out back in a fireproof locker due to storage regulations (town or state? IDK). I have also seen it at Cabelas in West Hartford.

Bob

Thanks. I looked at a few LGS and none have any large amount of muzzle loader stuff out yet.......guess I'm a little early.

Anytime I wait to pick up items, I seem to regret waiting. Once people start heading to the range, in preparation for deer season, those items sell quickly.

Guys.......here is the scenario.....

Mossberg 500 30 inch barrel.......I can hit a paper plate out to 75 yards after that its a bit sketchy
Thompson Center impact.........3 inch groups at 100 yards

Would you guys take the muzzle loader during deer season with the above abilities? The pros of the mossy 500 I think are more power and faster follow up shot the cons of the mossy 500 is that is heavier, ALOT longer and a little less accurate

With those stats would any of you guys go with the muzzle loader for shotgun and muzzle loader season"?

With those stats would any of you guys go with the muzzle loader for shotgun and muzzle loader season"?

ML.

I have a 535 w/short slug barrel, and I'm thinking of using the ML for shotgun season. I've already moved my scope from the shotgun to the ML.

ML.

I have a 535 w/short slug barrel, and I'm thinking of using the ML for shotgun season. I've already moved my scope from the shotgun to the ML.

Im definately leanimg toward the muzzle loader but want some opinions first. A buddy of mine told me I'm crazy......but after shooting this muzzle loader a coupe times it just feels like a deer taking machine.

I will be taking my MZ. Scope should be arriving tomorrow so hopefully I can get it sighted in within a week or two.

I may take my shotgun out once or twice since I would love to take a deer with it since it was my dads and I would like to tell him I got a deer with it.

OK so sounds like I'm not the only guy in Massachusetts that would bring a ML out during shotgun season...........

Im definately leanimg toward the muzzle loader but want some opinions first. A buddy of mine told me I'm crazy......but after shooting this muzzle loader a coupe times it just feels like a deer taking machine.

You have to decide what the likelihood of having multiple targets is. I have been hunting 30 some odd years and I have shot one deer that was about 85 yards or so. All the others have been less than 60 yards; most were under 40 yards.

Bob

MY Remmy 11-87 send accutip sabot slugs through the same hole out to 75 yards. So I use it every day I'm out during shotgun. Outside of shotgun season I use my bow - including muzzle loader season.

I've been thinking about getting a smoke pole though... They're cheap enough...

Interesting........

Last edited:
MY Remmy 11-87 send accutip sabot slugs through the same hole out to 75 yards. So I use it every day I'm out during shotgun. Outside of shotgun season I use my bow - including muzzle loader season.

I've been thinking about getting a smoke pole though... They're cheap enough...

Interesting........
if I had a shotgun that could do what your 11-87 is doing I wouldn't even be asking. I have to hunt with what I currently have.......and my mossy 500 with the 30 inch barrel is only minute of paper plate at 75 yards where the tc impact is inside of 3 inches with the iron sights that came with the gun .......that's why I'm asking. The ML is more accurate but the shotgun probably has more "horsepower".

And if you are thinking of a ML I love this impact I picked up.......I've shot a black diamond and a triumph......both more $ than this gun and I like thisbone better.......highly recommend it and for $239.......its a bargain.

if I had a shotgun that could do what your 11-87 is doing I wouldn't even be asking. I have to hunt with what I currently have.......and my mossy 500 with the 30 inch barrel is only minute of paper plate at 75 yards where the tc impact is inside of 3 inches with the iron sights that came with the gun .......that's why I'm asking. The ML is more accurate but the shotgun probably has more "horsepower".

And if you are thinking of a ML I love this impact I picked up.......I've shot a black diamond and a triumph......both more $ than this gun and I like thisbone better.......highly recommend it and for $239.......its a bargain.

Keep in mind, the shotgun slugs have a fairly low velocity. When shooting off a bench to sight it in, if I hold it like a typical rifle, the groups open up. If I use a more solid push/pull hold on it, 3" groups come easy @ 100 yards with Hornady SST slugs (rifled barrel).

Keep in mind, the shotgun slugs have a fairly low velocity. When shooting off a bench to sight it in, if I hold it like a typical rifle, the groups open up. If I use a more solid push/pull hold on it, 3" groups come easy @ 100 yards with Hornady SST slugs (rifled barrel).
I wish I had a shotty that could do that. Unfortunately my current 12G has a bird barrel (no rear sight and not rifled) so the best I can get is a paper plate at 75.......which really is not that bad considering the equipment........and if I had not recently acquired the ML would have no problem taking it deer hunting........I'm jsut trying to select the best tool for the job between the two.

I'm still leaning toward using the muzzle loader........as it is way more accurate.

What kind of choke does your shotgun have, if it is not a full choke you can get rifled slugs for it. Mine has a full choke and I have read and been told not to use slugs in it so I would have to use buckshot.

What kind of choke does your shotgun have, if it is not a full choke you can get rifled slugs for it. Mine has a full choke and I have read and been told not to use slugs in it so I would have to use buckshot.
It is a fixed full choke........I check every box of foster (rifled) slugs I buy before firng them through that shotgun and have never seen one say "not for use in full choke". I have fired about 50 slugs through that shotgun with fuxed full choke and never had a problem. Rifled slugs are what I use to get my "minute of paper plate" accuracy at 75 yards I speak of.

It is a fixed full choke........I check every box of foster (rifled) slugs I buy before firng them through that shotgun and have never seen one say "not for use in full choke". I have fired about 50 slugs through that shotgun with fuxed full choke and never had a problem. Rifled slugs are what I use to get my "minute of paper plate" accuracy at 75 yards I speak of.

I agree it does not say that on the boxes I have either.

If you do a search it comes up with about a 50-50 mix on it you should or should not use them. I rather error on the safer side and not use them.

I was also never able to get them on target in a good enough group to feel comfortable going after deer with them. I tried about 4-5 brands and they all shot different and never in the bullseye. I even had someone else try it and they got the same results as I did.

Last edited:
I agree it does not say that on the boxes I have either.

If you do a search it comes up with about a 50-50 mix on it you should or should not use them. I rather error on the safer side and not use them.

I was also never able to get them on target in a good enough group to feel comfortable going after deer with them. I tried about 4-5 brands and they all shot different and never in the bullseye. I even had someone else try it and they got the same results as I did.

I only pay attention to the actual manufactures instructions......plenty of internet commandos out there telling you this and that.......but this is straight from the mossberg website FAQ page......it only mentions xfull turkey chokes not full. Also as my shotgun was marketed in 1995 as an "all purpose" shotgun I find it hard to believe it would be manufactured and NOT be able to fire slugs.....anyway see below:

"Slugs, buckshot and steel shot loads are not recommended for use with an extra full "turkey tube" installed, due to the tube's tight constriction."

Everyone should operate to their own level of "safety" conciousness.......but for me as the manufacturer seems to have no problem with a full choke and slugs......I'm going to fire away.

I wish I had a shotty that could do that. Unfortunately my current 12G has a bird barrel (no rear sight and not rifled) so the best I can get is a paper plate at 75.......which really is not that bad considering the equipment........and if I had not recently acquired the ML would have no problem taking it deer hunting........I'm jsut trying to select the best tool for the job between the two.

I'm still leaning toward using the muzzle loader........as it is way more accurate.

Honestly I would still use the shotgun and just load up with 00 buckshot. If it can take it in 3" magnum - even better.

There you go.... Average shot distance in MA is pretty short. Our woods are very thick with scrub on the forest floor. So Buckshot should be fine. Preferable even if you're hunting on the ground and shooting through the scrub...

I considered that last year. I am a deer huntung nooooob. I've met and talked with quite a few hunters that take offense to buckshot.......say it is not a guaranteed "clean" kill and you take a chance on a "gut shot". Would you say up to 50 yards that a 3 inch buckshot load would be good? I've shot 3 inch loads out to 50 yards and the group opens up quite a bit even in my full choke gun.

if I had a shotgun that could do what your 11-87 is doing I wouldn't even be asking. I have to hunt with what I currently have.......and my mossy 500 with the 30 inch barrel is only minute of paper plate at 75 yards where the tc impact is inside of 3 inches with the iron sights that came with the gun ........

Have you considered picking up a rifled slug barrel for the Mossberg? My dad has one for his and it is pretty accurate with SST's. It is heavy though. Kinda like walking around with a crowbar[laugh]

I considered that last year. I am a deer huntung nooooob. I've met and talked with quite a few hunters that take offense to buckshot.......say it is not a guaranteed "clean" kill and you take a chance on a "gut shot". Would you say up to 50 yards that a 3 inch buckshot load would be good? I've shot 3 inch loads out to 50 yards and the group opens up quite a bit even in my full choke gun.

You must pattern buckshot out of you gun before hunting with it. As Whacko said, it opens up a lot faster than most people realize.

Buckshot is just another tool in the tool box and has its place. I hunt with slugs and I don't personally have a use for buckshot for hunting.

Bob

You must pattern buckshot out of you gun before hunting with it. As Whacko said, it opens up a lot faster than most people realize. Buckshot is just another tool in the tool box and has its place. I hunt with slugs and I don't personally have a use for buckshot for hunting.

Bob

The advice on patterning the gun is right on. You won't know the real effective range until you do that. Every gun is different. But with a long barrel and a full choke it will hold tight enough to be effective in our woods. Go to the range - get to know your gun and don't take shots that are unethical and/or your not confident in. You'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom