Death of NYC licensee

Question: if a NYC pistol license (target only) who owns one or more pistols dies, will someone come looking for the pistols?

Thanks

THE POLICE WILL BE LOOKING FOR YOU!!!

The answer to your question is... Absolutely yes. The police will come looking for all firearms registered to a deceased licensee. Detectives from NYPD and/or The New York State police will investigate why the firearms weren't returned by a relative or friend of the deceased licensee. The police will conduct a full investigation and will not close the case until the firearms are accounted for and in police custody. If the firearms are not voluntarily surrendered within 30 days of the passing of a licensee the police will show up at the deceased person's residence and/or business address possibly with a search warrant. The police will make arrests of any person(s) that is in illegal possession of a deceased licensee's firearms. Be guided accordingly.

gungrabbing

The answer to your question is... Absolutely yes. The police will come looking for all firearms registered to a deceased licensee. Detectives from NYPD and/or The New York State police will investigate why the firearms weren't returned by a relative or friend of the deceased licensee. The police will conduct a full investigation and will not close the case until the firearms are accounted for and in police custody. If the firearms are not voluntarily surrendered within 30 days of the passing of a licensee the police will show up at the deceased person's residence and/or business address possibly with a search warrant. The police will make arrests of any person(s) that is in illegal possession of a deceased licensee's firearms. Be guided accordingly.

So when you die,the NYPD can steal from the deceased?Again,why would anyone want to live there?

XL4U,

I hope your post was strictly in jest. If not, WOW!! is all that I can say.

The OP should get in touch with the NY pro-gun assn (I think there may be a link here in the sub-forum on state associations) and direct his/her query on those with expertise to answer and direct a legal course of action.

If it isn't illegal to do so, I would recommend getting the guns OUT OF DODGE before the deceased is buried!! Put them in the hands of a trusted relative in a free state prior to the will being dealt with. AGAIN, I DON'T KNOW THAT THIS WOULD BE LEGAL, SO CHECK FIRST.

Glad that I'd never consider living in NYC, can't stand to even visit that place!

Bloomberg? Is that you?

Thanks for the replies so far. Would this apply to long arms, too?

Probably not. There is no license for long arms in NY, at least there wasn't when I was there. Although keep in mind that it may be illegal to possess if you are a prohibited person, so if you are a felon, wanted by the law, blah, blah then those need to go too.

There is no license for long arms in NY,There is no license for long arms in NY,
He asked about NYC, not NY State - and I believe there is a license required for long arms in the city as well.

He asked about NYC, not NY State - and I believe there is a license required for long arms in the city as well.

Oh yeah, good catch. I missed that with all of the talk about the state police. Yup, NYC does so what I said was inaccurate for this circumstance.

Back
Top Bottom