• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deals and steals

Would this be a good match for a SPR/DMR style AR? Shooting 300yds max. MRAD vs MOA?
MRAD v MOA is a personal preference thing. It's really a question of Metric v. Imperial. If you don't own anything else, it seems the prevailing guidance is to learn on MRAD because powers of 10 are simpler, and all that. If you grew up with MOA, they both really do the same thing; there's no need to switch.

24X is a ton of magnification. (Like approximately makes your 300 yd target look like it's 12.5 yards away, ton) You'll probably end up keeping it on 6x 99% of the time. That's not necessarily a bad thing (you can check your hits from your bench) assuming the glass is any good. Your biggest risk might be trying to use it at distances closer than that..

MRAD v MOA is a personal preference thing. It's really a question of Metric v. Imperial. If you don't own anything else, it seems the prevailing guidance is to learn on MRAD because powers of 10 are simpler, and all that. If you grew up with MOA, they both really do the same thing; there's no need to switch.

24X is a ton of magnification. (Like approximately makes your 300 yd target look like it's 12.5 yards away, ton) You'll probably end up keeping it on 6x 99% of the time. That's not necessarily a bad thing (you can check your hits from your bench) assuming the glass is any good. Your biggest risk might be trying to use it at distances closer than that..
Is there a reason I wouldn't want my target to be as big as possible? Target shooting of course.

Is there a reason I wouldn't want my target to be as big as possible? Target shooting of course.
The more you zoom, the smaller your field of view. If a target is moving, it may become very difficult to keep the target in sight. According to a former Army Ranger sniper, trainer, and best-selling author Ryan Cleckner(Long Range Shooting Handbook is #1 on Amazon), x16-x18 is about as much as he ever zooms in.

The high end of magnification comes in handy when you are trying to shoot a tiny group at 100 yards. Other than that, you'll find yourself using 10-12x more often.

If you are looking at inexpensive scopes, check out swampfox. Same warranty as vortex. Only difference, I haven't had to use the warranty yet.

In addition to what @Sammy and @Tallahassee said, the more you zoom in, the more you'll see your own imperfections. Your body is never perfectly still. While you're trying to look at that tiny spot on the target, the optic is bouncing around all the time...so you can't actually see anything. Also, at high magnification, you're looking at the world through a paper towel tube - if you have too small of a field of view, you have to fight to figure out where you're pointed WRT your target, i.e. "lost" in your optics.

Edit to add:
Here's Ryan Cleckner discussing it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUdSk1bZDB4

Last edited:
If you plan on taking training courses, most prefer to teach MRAD (mils) now and move away from MOA. My primary has Leupold MRT2 with a mil reticle and MOA adjustments. My instructor at Ridgeline loved that 🤣 I've kind of "grown up with it" over the last 10 years so I use mostly the reticle without turret adjustments.

My future scopes will all be mils. The quick head calcs are easier.

I took it to the range today to play for a bit.. As a bolt-action 30-06, yeah.. it kicks like a freakin mule.. Trigger was heavy.. I don't have a pull scale yet, but I'll edit when it comes in.

had this set up at 25 yds. 1st 4 right out of the box were about 1" right...so at 100, probably 4" right.. but I had all 4 touching. scope was supposed to be boresighted at the factory. After 16 clicks left, next 8 shots were better... another 4 clicks right, and the last 4 were good enough for today..

I just ordered the mcarbo trigger spring kit... for $27 total.

so.. considering that the rifle cost me $310 in points (ie, free. $0 out of pocket), and I'm getting $74 back in rebates, I'm satisfied so far.

View attachment 514834
so got the mcarbo kit in the mail yesterday. Installed this morning with the 3.5# spring. Easy to install, shims helped...

Original pull out of the box was 6.5#. After putting the kit in, down to 2#. They advertised a 40% decrease.. that's like 70%!! Not sure why it's so low, but I emailed MCarbo to see if there's any solution. I didn't even try to see what the 2.5# spring would give me. Not sure I want a hunting rifle with that low a pull.

so got the mcarbo kit in the mail yesterday. Installed this morning with the 3.5# spring. Easy to install, shims helped...

Original pull out of the box was 6.5#. After putting the kit in, down to 2#. They advertised a 40% decrease.. that's like 70%!! Not sure why it's so low, but I emailed MCarbo to see if there's any solution. I didn't even try to see what the 2.5# spring would give me. Not sure I want a hunting rifle with that low a pull.
Maybe the springs were mislabeled

The high end of magnification comes in handy when you are trying to shoot a tiny group at 100 yards. Other than that, you'll find yourself using 10-12x more often.

If you are looking at inexpensive scopes, check out swampfox. Same warranty as vortex. Only difference, I haven't had to use the warranty yet.
Speaking of swampfox, I got this email today.

1630094734128.png

I have the SF liberty RMR on my P80-G19 and I love it.

I installed the original MCARBO kit (available before the pro version), and the trigger is super light. I don't have a spring, but I'd say it's around 2lb. After I installed it, I bounced it on the floor a few times to make sure it wouldn't go click without a pull of the trigger. I only shoot steel with it, so I actually like the low pull weight.

By the way, the .223 Axis XP is in stock online right now. Hasn't been available online much at all, and never was available in store around here. I plan to install another MCARBO trigger in the one I just ordered, so I'm looking forward to hearing the response you get from them.

Last edited:
Complete BCG for $80 for those interested. Free shipping.

Complete BCG for $80 for those interested. Free shipping.

Can anyone speak about the quality on this? Do not care about "blemishes".

Can anyone speak about the quality on this? Do not care about "blemishes".
99% of the time, the "blem" items are either open box or literally have a hair-sized nick on it. Always go for blem.
I was gonna post the same deal. For $80, definitely get this backup. Quality is fine. I ran a PSA 556 BCG with over 2k rounds of steel ammo. Not one hiccup.

Back
Top Bottom