Deals and steals

Nice stuff there!
Aaaaaand it’s about 2 minutes from my LGS. There goes my paychecks for the foreseeable future.
Can one of the moderators ban me until Tuesday so that I can’t read this thread and blow cash?
Tell me about it! @enbloc just cost me $450 for a survival course and unknown, but likely thousands in equipment.

Brownells M16 Nitride BCG $99.99

I do not have any experience with Brownells house brand BCG, but I have read were others said they were GTG. I have bought one of their house brand Glock 17 barrels and the machining was first class.

🐯
Just ordered this BCG... son of a b

I do not have any experience with Brownells house brand BCG, but I have read were others said they were GTG. I have bought one of their house brand Glock 17 barrels and the machining was first class.

🐯

Not asking about this BCG specifically, but what are the chances that a BCG not marked MPI was in fact inspected this way?

🐯
I have one on my 20". Works fine

Not asking about this BCG specifically, but what are the chances that a BCG not marked MPI was in fact inspected this way?
I'd say 10% or less. Often, they're batch tested, and they'll mark the whole batch as MPI. No stamp, very likely no test, even a batch test.

I picked up my .223 Axis today and installed the 3.5 lb trigger from the MCARBO kit. I don't have a trigger scale, but my calibrated finger tells me the break is just about identical to the one I installed the original (no choice) spring kit in a year and a half ago. Still very light, and breaks nice. I wouldn't really want to go any lighter though, so the 2.5 lb spring will go in the parts bin.

When I added the kit to my cart on MCARBO I didn't buy it right away. Later that day I received a 10% off email and saved most of the shipping charge. YMMV.

And a reminder, the Axis XP is on sale for $310 with a $50 rebate for a couple more days. If you buy one in the store and use your Cabela's credit card you will get an additional $25 back in points, plus the usual $6 or so. That's a great deal for a centerfire rifle plus scope that is surprisingly accurate! Common hunting calibers are available in most stores in the Northeast, while .223, .350, and .308 have been only available online, and very spotty at times.

IMG_1513.jpg

Last edited:
Guess many of the gun companies figured they didn't need to run any sales. Even midway didn't bother and they usually have a sale for every holiday.

Guess many of the gun companies figured they didn't need to run any sales. Even midway didn't bother and they usually have a sale for every holiday.

Midway is having a sale starting tomorrow.

Went ahead and order one of their 1-10x24 Arrowhead LPVOs just to see if it’s as good as the reviews claim. At max of 10X it’s hardly low power, but I have wanted to try one of these 10x LPVOs and at $457.58 with mount it was worth it. Certainly more affordable than the Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10 at $2k just for the scope. All the reviews were positive and it has nice features like an included throw lever, included flip up lens caps, locking exposed turrets with MOA turrets paired with the MOA reticles and MIL turrets paired with the MIL reticle, IPX7 rated and 1,100 G shock rating. I’m sure it won’t be near as good as the high end Vortex, but it’ll be interesting to see how it performs.

Went ahead and order one of their 1-10x24 Arrowhead LPVOs just to see if it’s as good as the reviews claim. At max of 10X it’s hardly low power, but I have wanted to try one of these 10x LPVOs and at $457.58 with mount it was worth it. Certainly more affordable than the Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10 at $2k just for the scope. All the reviews were positive and it has nice features like an included throw lever, included flip up lens caps, locking exposed turrets with MOA turrets paired with the MOA reticles and MIL turrets paired with the MIL reticle, IPX7 rated and 1,100 G shock rating. I’m sure it won’t be near as good as the high end Vortex, but it’ll be interesting to see how it performs.
I'm about to do the same thing. Seems I missed out on free shipping though...

I'm about to do the same thing. Seems I missed out on free shipping though...
i have one with BDC reticle - optic glass quality wise it is ok, reticle wise i now regret not getting their Guerrilla Dot MIL Long version.
the BDC notches they have are not aligning well with a 100yds zero on 68gr .223 i use. even with m193 they claim it was made for it was not aligning in my tests at 200/300, and i tried it with both 50/100 yds zero. dunno, ymmv.

ps. 'ok' i mean is an 'ok for the price ok' - do not expect razor quality contrast there. it is at a level of vortex diamondback, imho, a bit better than strike eagle but worse than pst2.

Last edited:
i have one with BDC reticle - optic glass quality wise it is ok, reticle wise i now regret not getting their Guerrilla Dot MIL Long version.
the BDC notches they have are not aligning well with a 100yds zero on 68gr .223 i use. even with m193 they claim it was made for it was not aligning in my tests at 200/300, and i tried it with both 50/100 yds zero. dunno, ymmv.

ps. 'ok' i mean is an 'ok for the price ok' - do not expect razor quality contrast there. it is at a level of vortex diamondback, imho, a bit better than strike eagle but worse than pst2.
Great feedback. I was going back and forth on reticles. I have very limited experience so not sure if MIL would have been over my head. I'm building a kinda Gucci AR so maybe I should just buckup on the glass ...

Great feedback. I was going back and forth on reticles. I have very limited experience so not sure if MIL would have been over my head. I'm building a kinda Gucci AR so maybe I should just buckup on the glass ...
i use that scope on the larue carbine - 16" pencil predatAr barrel - it is accurate enough - first several shots on cold barrel are subMOA but then it opens up, and i do not expect to fire it often beyond 100yds, so it works ok for that application, more or less. a heavy 20" subMOA AR i did set on a 5-25x scope.

the arrowhead is a good compromise glass as at 10x you can still hit a squirrel at 100yds, and clarity at 1x is also acceptable. they are now in stock at opticsplanet in all combinations for $459.
Swampfox Arrowhead 1-10X24 Riflescope, Color: Black, Tube Diameter: 30 mm, Up to 15% Off — Free 2 Day Shipping w/ code 2DAYAIR — 4 models

as returns to opticsplanet are possible also, with some pita.

I ordered mine with the MIL reticle, since I’m trying to do everything in MIL. From what I’ve read, this is good lower priced glass, but certainly not “Gucci” level. I would barely even consider my Stiener T5Xi a Gucci level scope. To me Gucci level would be something like a Schmidt Bender.

As far as MIL being “over your head”, it’s no more difficult than MOA, it’s just different. In fact, if you're willing to do everything in meters (i.e. metric) it’s actually a lot easier than MOA. Thats because 1 MOA is actually 1.047 inches at 100 yards, a bit more than the assumed 1 inch. Not a big deal under 300 yards but go out to 1000 and it starts to make a difference. In MIL, 1 MIL is pretty much exactly 0.1 meter at 100 yards and 0.1 MIL will be 1 cm. At 1000 meters 1 MIL will be a meter and 0.1 MIL will be 0.1 meters. Even if you use Imperial (inches /yards) MIL is not that hard, 1 MIL will always be 1/1000 th of your range to target, so at 100 yards, 1 MIL will be 0.1 yards or 3.6 inches and 0.1 MIL (the click value on most MIL turrets) will be 0.36 inches, a bit bigger than 1/4 MOA, which would actually be a bit over 0.26 inch. That’s why folks like S-B make 0.025 MIL per click turrets giving you the equivalent of 0.09 inches per click at 100 yards.

It gets messy when you have a MIL reticle with MOA turret adjustments (or vice versa), that’s why I commented that I liked the fact that Swamp Fox uses MIL turrets with their MIL reticles.

I ordered mine with the MIL reticle, since I’m trying to do everything in MIL. From what I’ve read, this is good lower priced glass, but certainly not “Gucci” level. I would barely even consider my Stiener T5Xi a Gucci level scope. To me Gucci level would be something like a Schmidt Bender.

As far as MIL being “over your head”, it’s no more difficult than MOA, it’s just different. In fact, if you're willing to do everything in meters (i.e. metric) it’s actually a lot easier than MOA. Thats because 1 MOA is actually 1.047 inches at 100 yards, a bit more than the assumed 1 inch. Not a big deal under 300 yards but go out to 1000 and it starts to make a difference. In MIL, 1 MIL is pretty much exactly 0.1 meter at 100 yards and 0.1 MIL will be 1 cm. At 1000 meters 1 MIL will be a meter and 0.1 MIL will be 0.1 meters. Even if you use Imperial (inches /yards) MIL is not that hard, 1 MIL will always be 1/1000 th of your range to target, so at 100 yards, 1 MIL will be 0.1 yards or 3.6 inches and 0.1 MIL (the click value on most MIL turrets) will be 0.36 inches, a bit bigger than 1/4 MOA, which would actually be a bit over 0.26 inch. That’s why folks like S-B make 0.025 MIL per click turrets giving you the equivalent of 0.09 inches per click at 100 yards.

It gets messy when you have a MIL reticle with MOA turret adjustments (or vice versa), that’s why I commented that I liked the fact that Swamp Fox uses MIL turrets with their MIL reticles.
I will not be shooting over 300yds any time soon. I didn't mean I'd look at Gucci glass but maybe a little nicer than swampfox, vortex etc.

I will not be shooting over 300yds any time soon. I didn't mean I'd look at Gucci glass but maybe a little nicer than swampfox, vortex etc.
the thing is - on good clean bright sunny day conditions the difference between modern gucci and good and mediocre scopes is close to negligent. almost anything above $400 will work.
like to see a difference between pst2 and razor vortexes now you need to get them into much less than ideal conditions, low contrast situations, etc. on a sunny day you will not see much/anything different there.
if you do not plan, ever, on going to the range on a dreary cloudy rainy days and shooting gray targets against grey backgrounds - you figure the idea. you can always pay extra for the quality, but you need to be realistic of how much quality you can actually utilize.

the thing is - on good clean bright sunny day conditions the difference between modern gucci and good and mediocre scopes is close to negligent. almost anything above $400 will work.
like to see a difference between pst2 and razor vortexes now you need to get them into much less than ideal conditions, low contrast situations, etc. on a sunny day you will not see much/anything different there.
if you do not plan, ever, on going to the range on a dreary cloudy rainy days and shooting gray targets against grey backgrounds - you figure the idea. you can always pay extra for the quality, but you need to be realistic of how much quality you can actually utilize.
So you're saying get the swamp fox lol

So you're saying get the swamp fox lol
i say - try it, and return it if it will not be good enough for what you want.
1-10x scopes are still rare and in between. 1-8x are more common now, you can also look at comparable ones:

it really would be great to look at them at some store - as you will see how prices differ compared to what glass diff you actually can see/detect visually.

I’m very happy with my Leupold VX6 3-18X. Paid $950 on closeout sale (they were being replaced by the VX6-HD) back in 2016. And Leupolds are 100% made in the USA.

I also have a Trijicon 1-8x28 AccuPower Riflescope which is the predecessor of the Credo (only difference is the Credo has switchable red/green illumination instead of just red). I have it on my SCAR 17. I plan on comparing the 1-10x24 Arrowhead to it. Not really fair since the Trijicon cost almost 3 times what the Swap Fox is costing, but I’m thinking the Trijicon won’t be three times better than the Arrowhead.

I plan on comparing the 1-10x24 Arrowhead to it
it will be very curious to read about it for sure. if you can, try to check how it will fare at longer distances too, 300-500yds.
i wonder at what distance its (relative) lack of contrast will become a deal breaker.

i say - try it, and return it if it will not be good enough for what you want.
1-10x scopes are still rare and in between. 1-8x are more common now, you can also look at comparable ones:

it really would be great to look at them at some store - as you will see how prices differ compared to what glass diff you actually can see/detect visually.
I'm looking hard at the trijicon credo and accupoint. Reviews seem mixed and there are complaints about daylight visibility. I like the illuminated reticle and possibility of no batteries.

it will be very curious to read about it for sure. if you can, try to check how it will fare at longer distances too, 300-500yds.
i wonder at what distance its (relative) lack of contrast will become a deal breaker.
It will be awhile before I can give a legitimate review on their contrast. I’m having my cataracts done next month and until then my eyes will be the limiting factor and not the scopes.

I'm looking hard at the trijicon credo and accupoint. Reviews seem mixed and there are complaints about daylight visibility. I like the illuminated reticle and possibility of no batteries.
Even with my cataracts I have no problem with the Trijicon in bright daylight. I do have to crank it up to 11 on 1x, but even with my eyes it’s easily visible. I will say that it has been solid on my SCAR 17 which, due to its massive BCG, is known to eat scopes.

I’m very happy with my Leupold VX6 3-18X. Paid $950 on closeout sale (they were being replaced by the VX6-HD) back in 2016. And Leupolds are 100% made in the USA.

I also have a Trijicon 1-8x28 AccuPower Riflescope which is the predecessor of the Credo (only difference is the Credo has switchable red/green illumination instead of just red). I have it on my SCAR 17. I plan on comparing the 1-10x24 Arrowhead to it. Not really fair since the Trijicon cost almost 3 times what the Swap Fox is costing, but I’m thinking the Trijicon won’t be three times better than the Arrowhead.
Higher end Leupolds have Japanese glass and most internals are made in the US. Lower end have chinese glass. But, unfortunately, they are not 100% US made anymore. That's why their boxes usually say "designed, machined, and assembled in the US". Hardly any optics are 100% made in the US.

I don't have any problems with visibility during the day with either of those. If you are in a dimly lit room, and scope outside with an accupoint, there may be some washout. But, I'm assuming you will be outside most of the time, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom