Dead Bear on property

Some idiot didnt track a bear after he shot it. Is there anything I should do as far as alerting game department? I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow or monday. Seems to be a young bear no longer than 4-4.5 feet. The animals already did a number on all the good stuff. When my dog found it there was a bunch of vultures picking at it. How long does it take for the smell to get bad? The day before yesterday I didnt smell anything, then yesterday you couldnt mistake the smell of death from about 150 yards.

I dont know if they will really want to deal with it .
I say cover it up with a good layer of dirt and let it go "back to nature", so to speak.
Otherwise let the buzzards and other critters have at it. There wont be much left in a few days.

Bears don't go far with a lung shot. Season opened last week on Tues. Maybe two were shot & bigger bear tagged. Or it was shot out the back window raiding the feeder & dumped. Real sad to see one go to waste.

That's a shame. I've been bear hunting the berkshires for bear for three years and only have seen bear once and they were to small to shoot. I was hunting there on saterday and heard no shoots except some target shooters all day. Don't know where your located though.

Went back with the dog yesterday morning and someone/something did the job of dragging it away. There's still the lingering dead smell but no bear carcass.

Yotes may have found it and finished it off. The more it smells the easier it is to find. Vultures also find their food by smell believe it or not. So as it got ranker and ranker more and more vultures may have found it. Get enough of them and they can strip the bones pretty quick. Once the bones are stripped the yotes run off with them.

Back
Top Bottom