• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dafruck happened to 7.62x54r ammo?

That's nice, how much is hornady getting for that ammo? A max bullets do well in,many of my guns. I have not found any in anything larger than 308" lately though. Sucks they use steel cases.

I know one person who shoots a Morin sniper he loves the hornady stuff although he claims the match stuff with brass case the brass sucks? He also likes the Russian,match stuff that's brass cases.

if x54r continue to grow in popularity (and tens of thousands of rifles bought in the past decade should be conducive to that happening) eventually Hornady will come up with the load of their own and/or other bullet manufacturers will step in.

if nothing else, Ukraine will eventually establish their own production facilities either for NATO ammo in which case they will sell-off their stockpiles of commie ammo or
if they continue to use commie ammo for a decade or so then we will have reliable source of commercial ammo. it won't be cheap as surplus but it would be cheaper than brass cased S&B and PPU.

another thing i can not predict with 100% reliability, but i can see that as a possibility. CNC machines get cheaper and cheaper every year. right now mini-cnc lathes are already within a reach of most people. that means that one day CNC bullets from solid brass or copper or maybe even some completely diferent and inexpensive alloy may become a common place and affordable option for many reloaders. We might even see small portable bullet turning table top machines created for this explicit purpose. they will probably cost a few grand but precision shooters and wildcatter will gladly pay that for a chance to roll their own.

This could,be a strong possibility, the push to ban lead is not over.

Right now I can't find much for .312" bullets except Barnes and Sierra at 30-60 cents per bullet only worth it if your Morin shoots well....

Well, I ordered the Lee classic loader for the 7.62x54r. I just gotta find some bullets, powder and primers and we should be good to go.

My god that's torture, simple tool works well enough. I used to load 38spl for my dad with the WhackORound kit. I got to shoot every 4th loaded round....
Classic loader only neck sizes.

This could,be a strong possibility, the push to ban lead is not over.

Right now I can't find much for .312" bullets except Barnes and Sierra at 30-60 cents per bullet only worth it if your Morin shoots well....

Grab the pulled 180 grain Federal Powershoks from N__ __&__ __ for 21 cents before they go "out of stock"...

.312 diameter 180 grain soft points pulled from Federal's Powershok ammo. Very clean, almost no marks at all, perfect for any 303 british, 7.62 x 54 R, 7.7 Jap, ect. These projectiles make a great hunting bullet as they feature a jacket that is locked into its lead core for superior weight retention upon entering soft tissue. As always the pictures are an accurate representation of the entire lot.

They also have the .310" Hornady 123 grainers...

Last edited:
Grab the pulled 180 grain Federal Powershoks from N__ __&__ __ for 21 cents before they go "out of stock"...

.312 diameter 180 grain soft points pulled from Federal's Powershok ammo. Very clean, almost no marks at all, perfect for any 303 british, 7.62 x 54 R, 7.7 Jap, ect. These projectiles make a great hunting bullet as they feature a jacket that is locked into its lead core for superior weight retention upon entering soft tissue. As always the pictures are an accurate representation of the entire lot.

They also have the .310" Hornady 123 grainers...

Those are purrrty and at a really good price.

Remember, you can make your own JSWC with the 5.7x28 brass. I don't recall if they will size above .310", since I don't recall the diameter of the fired brass that I had used. My finished bullets are.310" diameter, but I don't remember if that was the maximum diameter or if it was because I only had a .310" sizer die.
The come out around 130 grains with shot core and about 200 grains with molten lead cores.

Remember, you can always get Norman's 200 grain coated bullet in .313" diameter, too (about 12 cents a pop!).

I was blown away at Collectible in Merrimack on Monday. Grabbed some more Golden tiger food for the AK and looked at the spam tins of x54r. $250!! Sweet Jesus it was only a few months ago I was seeing them at $130-$140 and saying, nah too high. Oh well, I guess I should have grabbed a few more tins 6 months ago.

i stopped buying surplus x54r once price mark went past $90/tin

Don't overlook some of the swap meets, tag sales at local gun clubs. Most of my bullets come from sources like this. Armslist and similar websites can be helpful, too. Recently I picked up some of the Albanian light ball for 25 cents a round (yes, expensive compared to years ago) and it is reloadable with the .217" berdan primers!

Back
Top Bottom