• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CZ-38: My latest milsurp pistol

USMA-82

NES Member
Picked this up from GB a few weeks ago and just got around to taking some photos. About 40,000 were made in the 1938-39 period. They were accepted for issue to the Czech armed forces, but before they could begin distribution, the Nazi's stepped in. They continued to produce the gun for a short time.

The lever on the left side of the receiver that looks like a slide stop is actually the take-down latch. Just push it forward, lift up the slide, pull it off the barrel and the gun is field-stripped. The barrel remains connected to the frame via a hinge at the muzzle end.

Double-action only, so it did not have a reputation as being particularly accurate. Also, if the soldier was not careful pulling the gun out of the holster, he could accidently push the take-down latch, and the gun would instantly self-disassemble! Not a great feature on the battlefield!

Here's a link with more:

http://www.freeexistence.org/vz38.html

This gun is in excellent shape, with a nearly perfect barrel, and no import marks. You'll see from the target at the end that it's not too bad in the accuracy department (2-handed, standing at 50-ft):

IMG_5616.jpg

IMG_5615.jpg

IMG_5614.jpg

IMG_5612.jpg

IMG_5610.jpg

IMG_5609.jpg

IMG_5608.jpg

IMG_5607.jpg

IMG_5604.jpg

IMG_5605.jpg

IMG_5603.jpg

IMG_5602.jpg

Ugly, under-powered, prone to flipping open at the wrong time - I love it.

Last edited:
Very Nice! I was tempted to get one to go with my CZ27, but I didn't want to have another caliber to feed!

MS

Ahh.... a very hard to find item and in great condition. Congrats. Now you need the P39(t) holster and an extra mag.

Fortunately, the gun came with a spare, original mag. But I think finding the holster is going to be an expensive proposition...

They are probably harder to find than the gun, but they are out there. It is a P38 holster with a leather insert sewn into the mag pouch and marked using the German model for the gun.

Back
Top Bottom