Custom molded ear plugs

The gun show in marlboro I didn't want to wait to get them made. But kind of regretted it since. Probably get them at the gun show in march

But want to hear how they work for others. Better or worse the the foam plugs. Price you paid. Any info on them. Or if you know of the sellers site

Thanks

I am no expert, I got a set made at Laconia Bike week years ago, and was not impressed with the amount of protection they offered, I found that the normal Foam plugs worked much better, and you can throw them away after each use.

I have a set made by Steve Brown from Ear Safety Systems. I love them for rifle shooting, very comfortable with great NRR (better than any "foamies" I've ever used.) I think I paid something like $60 for them (I don't remember exactly.)

If you do get them I'd recommend Steve. Great guy.

Had some made by the guy at the gun show (next to the beef jerky guy). They are amazing.

I have trouble shooting rifle with regular ear protection. These work really well. I also use them trap shooting.

I think I paid around $65 two years ago.

I got mine at the Marloboro show last year from the HEARSafe booth. Honestly worth the wait, I debated on getting them at the Holbrook show 2 years ago when my girl got a pair, then she said how much she enjoyed them,(she has sensitive ears) I had to get a pair. They form fit in my ears, and with the baby oil, seal it quiet. I would have to say they are more comfortable than foam. I used to have wear foam and triple flange ear-pro on the range constantly, and after a while with sweat and daily wear, they would start to be uncomfortable. I can say with the custom molded one that I got, this does not happen. I shoot indoor/outdoor/pistol/trap/US Rifle. And for shooting trap/rifle the ear molds do not get in the way.
The only improvement I would make is to install a noise cancelling device like my peltor ear muffs, because sometimes I miss things because they are that quiet, but that would probably be expensive.

They do have a reputation for having the best custom fit for active CT Swat, as well as many other police departments.

Adam and i have pairs made ny Michael Maal (hearsafe) who is at many of the gun shows. Comfy and work great. I also have a set that are earbuds for my ipod. GREAT quality and much gentler on my ears. The only time I need more protection is if I'm going to be next to the Barrett all day on the range.

The only improvement I would make is to install a noise cancelling device like my peltor ear muffs, because sometimes I miss things because they are that quiet, but that would probably be expensive.

They make little "valves" (for lack of a better word) that can be installed in the plugs that does that. They can be retrofitted into an existing pair of plugs, but they are a bit steep in price though.

(I know this because when I heard the price I opted not to get them and Steve told me I could always add them later if I wanted.)

I also have a set that are earbuds for my ipod. GREAT quality and much gentler on my ears. The only time I need more protection is if I'm going to be next to the Barrett all day on the range.

Do you have the manufacturer/brand by chance?

I got mine at the Marloboro show last year from the HEARSafe booth. Honestly worth the wait, I debated on getting them at the Holbrook show 2 years ago when my girl got a pair, then she said how much she enjoyed them,(she has sensitive ears) I had to get a pair. They form fit in my ears, and with the baby oil, seal it quiet. I would have to say they are more comfortable than foam. I used to have wear foam and triple flange ear-pro on the range constantly, and after a while with sweat and daily wear, they would start to be uncomfortable. I can say with the custom molded one that I got, this does not happen. I shoot indoor/outdoor/pistol/trap/US Rifle. And for shooting trap/rifle the ear molds do not get in the way.

They do have a reputation for having the best custom fit for active CT Swat, as well as many other police departments.

I think they are based in NH. They have a facebook, but I don't think it is updated regularly.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=hpskip#!/pages/HEARSafe-Custom-Earmolds/113978801967073

Last edited:
Another nice thing about Steve is he lives in Eastern MA and does the plugs at local matches while you wait for your relay to be called. Very convenient.

[email protected]

Michael Maal makes them
http://www.hearsafe-usa.com/about_us
his contact info is

Michael Maal
HEARSafe, an EAR Inc. Partner
Distributor/Manufacturer of Insta-Mold Custom Fit Earplugs
Custom fitted earplugs, hearing protection and communications devices for any environment
Mobile: (508) 816-3734
[email protected]

He does this part time

Very good I just put in a request on his website so I will be getting a pair and report back.

Also looking for what ipod earbuds Nicole was speaking of.

I used to use them all the time in my competitive skeet shooting days, and I love them unconditionally. Favorite feature is that you can leave them in your ear but give them about a 1/4 turn twist so that they break the seal and you can hear at a close to normal level if you need to talk to someone next to you. Touch them with your finger and they're back in.

Beware: they don't block quite as much muzzle blast as the foam ones, at least in my experience. Not the best idea when you're sighting in the 45-70 before bear season, but for shotguns they're fine.

My uncle sat through it at Marlboro and got a pair, haven't heard of how they work for him yet. A guy who was waiting in line for a pair couldn't say enough good things about them, it was going to be his second pair. The first one he got 10 years ago and he said they were the most comfortable and worked great.

Another nice thing about Steve is he lives in Eastern MA and does the plugs at local matches while you wait for your relay to be called. Very convenient.

[email protected]

A few people at my club were interested in them so Steve came out and made them. Give him a call. If you get enough people (>= 3 or 4) he may come to you and you may get a little discount!

Are these significantly better than the $10 DIY radians?

The main issue is the fit and getting them deep enough into the ear. I made a set of the Radians and they didn't go in far enough to get a good seal. Steve puts some sort of sealer on them. My Radians have a bubbly porous texture which doesn't help with the seal.

Michael Maal makes them
http://www.hearsafe-usa.com/about_us
his contact info is

Michael Maal
HEARSafe, an EAR Inc. Partner
Distributor/Manufacturer of Insta-Mold Custom Fit Earplugs
Custom fitted earplugs, hearing protection and communications devices for any environment
Mobile: (508) 816-3734
[email protected]

He does this part time

I can't say enough good things about the quality of ear plugs that Mike makes. I have been using them for over 8 years with great comfort and satisfaction.
They are the ONLY hearing protection I need for either shooting (Any caliber), working the line at the Hanson MG shoots, being at a NES shoot, using gas two cycle engines, etc. I got two pairs, one stays in the range bag and one for around the house.

Mike made mine at the Marlboro guns show. Takes a little getting use to but a very good investment for $60.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

As I mentioned in the past I've had to get hearing aids and I asked the the fitter if she could make custom ear plugs and she said she could so I'm guessing any hearing aid vendor could make them. The cost per pair is the next question.

Another +1. I think I paid $60 for mine. Absolutely love them. Very comfortable and they do a great job.

Another happy customer of Mike (HEARsafe) here. Very comfortable, blocks out noise very well in my opinion, and a lot easier to shoot a rifle with them than with a headset.

I got mine from Michael at Hearsafe, they are outstanding!

When they were first made I had them done solid. They were too good, I was stone cold deaf wearing them. I brought them back to him at the next show and had the little valve thingies put in them. Now they are perfect.

I've been using them for almost two years now. Great product, worth every penny.

I was also debating which type of hearing protection to get. After all the positive words I may have to just get a pair of molded plugs. Anyone in the North Shore interested in getting them done? Maybe we can get one of the guys to come by and do a bunch at once

Adam and i have pairs made ny Michael Maal (hearsafe) who is at many of the gun shows. Comfy and work great. I also have a set that are earbuds for my ipod. GREAT quality and much gentler on my ears. The only time I need more protection is if I'm going to be next to the Barrett all day on the range.

+1 to Michael. I have 2 sets from him. One regular and a second set with valves that are designed to be worn under electronic muffs allowing you to hear conversation

The best set I have were made by another EAR vendor who no longer makes them. They go a little deeper into the ear canal and seal better.

Back
Top Bottom