Custom 1911 (anything other than Caspian parts?)

I am trying to figure out what guns I may want to purchase this year. Really on my list are a 1911, AR15, and AK47.

Since the AR's and AK's are through the roof right now I really don't know if I can justify spending the money on them right now. Not to mention I don't have many places I could shoot them.

I was talking with Jimmy at FS about possibly buying a 1911 and he suggested I build one. I have poked around here a bit and I think i might give it a shot. First I need a slide and frame. I know i need to transfer the frame via FFL. I also see some people like to get caspian frames and slides.

Are they any other reputable companies out there people have used for custom builds? I really kinda like the front and rear slide corrugations.

I'm going to throw something together on paper, then decided what I want to do. if the cost is to much I might scrap the idea of a project but if its the same money as buying off the shelf or close, I think it would be a fun project.

Check out the 1911 group-by thread. You are too late to join, but it may give you some worthwhile reading. Also, be aware that you can't just buy the parts and put it together. 1911 parts need to be hand fit. If you are thinking this is a budget way to do it, you are mistaken. You can buy a S&W 1911 for less. But with a custom gun you can have it your way.

Check out the 1911 group-by thread. You are too late to join, but it may give you some worthwhile reading. Also, be aware that you can't just buy the parts and put it together. 1911 parts need to be hand fit. If you are thinking this is a budget way to do it, you are mistaken. You can buy a S&W 1911 for less. But with a custom gun you can have it your way.

I wasn't really sure how they paired up. I was thinking if it was in the $800-1000 range I might go for it. Any more than that i'll buy an AR15 i think. This may very well be more money than i thought.

I wasn't really sure how they paired up. I was thinking if it was in the $800-1000 range I might go for it. Any more than that i'll buy an AR15 i think. This may very well be more money than i thought.

It's one of those "how much money do you want to spend" kind of things.

Unfortunately M1911 is spot on. This route does NOT save money. It simply allows you to build a one of a kind custom gun. That doesn't come cheap.
I have over $1200 into my Caspian .45 and that cost does not include a slide/barrel set that were free. (Match prize)

Check out Fusion Firearms www.fusionfirearms.com.I used their frame and a few other parts.They also applied the Black Oxide finish. They will help you with any questions you have and are very patient. Also check Foster Ind. They are Caspian mother Company and have over runs on parts. My build cost me about $1200. I'm sure you can buy a nice one for that price, but it's nice to have one you built. I'm in the middle of building another, so let me know if you have any questions about the process or parts.
[/URL]
th_DSC03108_edited.jpg

Be wary of "gunsmith" frames and slides. Many of these parts require extensive fitting. i.e. metal removal. I would be tempted to buy slide and frame from a MFR who would fit them, saving you a lot of work.

Be wary of "gunsmith" frames and slides. Many of these parts require extensive fitting. i.e. metal removal. I would be tempted to buy slide and frame from a MFR who would fit them, saving you a lot of work.

yeah thats what some people have been telling me. Not quite sure I want to take on a project like that just yet but we'll see.

Remsport Mfg in Ludlow MA
Manufacturers of frames, slides and barrels forged or cast stainless steel or carbon steel government. commander, officer
Remsport can fit slide frame and barrel for you to make your project a first time suscess.
For the more experienced builder Remsport's CNC process makes gunsmith fitting very easy the parts fit is so close the slide and frame only need a light lapping
This is a local company in Mass.
contact them for more information
[email protected]

Last edited:
Be wary of "gunsmith" frames and slides. Many of these parts require extensive fitting. i.e. metal removal.

To use the phrase "be wary" sounds like you are implying some sort of scam. That is not at all the case. All that work results in a much better firearm. It's not at all something to be "wary" about. It's just something you may or may not want to take on at your level of experience.

If you've got the money to burn you will never go wrong with a Brazos gun. I have a few of his guns and they rule!!! Never have any problems with them and they are oh so sweet!!!

www.brazoscustom.com

Pete

To use the phrase "be wary" sounds like you are implying some sort of scam. That is not at all the case. All that work results in a much better firearm. It's not at all something to be "wary" about. It's just something you may or may not want to take on at your level of experience.

I meant no such thing. I said be "wary" of "gunsmith" slides and frames because they require a LOT of metal removal. Such an operation is best left to a pro (who will probably do most of the metal removal with a milling machine). This is not just a matter of skill; some of these parts were just not intended to be fitted entirely by hand.

After having gone the "gunsmith" frame and slide route (Para gunsmith frame and Caspian slide) once, I will not likely do it again. I will either buy the slide and frame fitted, or pick up a used gun to start with.

Back
Top Bottom