• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CT to RI Transfer

A person I know is working on getting a pair of pistols from a guy in CT. To clarify, two pistols are leaving CT for RI.

I know on the Rhode Island side of the border, all that has to be done is to have the guns brought to a FFL in RI, have the purchaser fill out F4473 and the town-of-purchase sheet, and wait 7 days for pickup.

But does the seller need to do anything on the CT side of the border? Does CT have gun registration? Does the seller need to inform anyone of the sale, like his police chief or the AG's Office?

PS, the pistols are a Remington M1911 and a .25ACP. I don't know the specific model and maker of the .25 however I have a feeling that its a Seecamp.

Last edited:
I sold my pistol to an out of stater earlier this year (legally purchased when I was living in AZ, but gathering dust here as I don't have a CT pistol permit yet, currently in progress). I found a local FFL through Gunbrokers list and did a transfer/sale paper to him, he then shipped to out to the other FFL.

Hope that makes sense.

Steps I took (restating):
1: Looked up Local FFL to do transfer/shipping (the buyers FFL would not accept from non-FFL holders, also, like you I was unclear as to what was needed, this way the FFL handled it)
2: Transferred pistol to Local FFL, sale paperwork and call into State
3. Local FFL took possession and subsequently shipped to the buyers FFL

The FFL called it in. From despp: Firearms

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva]Pistols and Revolvers
Federal Law states you may only buy a handgun in the state in which you reside.

You can only buy a handgun in Connecticut, if in addition to being a resident, you have a valid Permit to carry Pistols or Revolvers, a valid Eligibility Certificate, if you are a licensed Firearms Dealer or if you are a Sworn Police Officer.

A DPS-67-C and a DPS-3-C (4 copies) must be completed. The seller of the handgun must contact the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit at (860) 685-8400, or 1-(888) 335-8438 and obtain an authorization number for that sale. This number is to be added to both forms. The DPS-67-C is to be retained by the seller for 20 years. The seller should retain the original copy of the DPS-3 for their records, give one copy to the purchaser as a receipt, submit one copy to the local police authority where the purchaser resides and submit a final copy to the Commissioner of Public Safety.
[/FONT]

there is no law that you have to report a sale to an out of state ffl. dont worry ct dont have registration of firearms, they just keep records of what you bought. LOL

there is no law that you have to report a sale to an out of state ffl. dont worry ct dont have registration of firearms, they just keep records of what you bought. LOL

So you're saying that the seller could go to a RI gun store, transfer it to the buyer in RI, and it's all good, assuming everything's good on the RI side?

That is 110% correct.

As long as it is legal for the seller to posses the firearms in RI.

If it isn't, the seller could meet the buyer (assuming they are friends) and the two of them could bring them to the RI ffl for the transfer.

Either way, the seller is fine. I am absolutely positively sure of this.

I sold my pistol to an out of stater earlier this year (legally purchased when I was living in AZ, but gathering dust here as I don't have a CT pistol permit yet, currently in progress). I found a local FFL through Gunbrokers list and did a transfer/sale paper to him, he then shipped to out to the other FFL.

Hope that makes sense.

Steps I took (restating):
1: Looked up Local FFL to do transfer/shipping (the buyers FFL would not accept from non-FFL holders, also, like you I was unclear as to what was needed, this way the FFL handled it)
2: Transferred pistol to Local FFL, sale paperwork and call into State
3. Local FFL took possession and subsequently shipped to the buyers FFL

All of this was necessary ONLY because you brought it to a CT FFL. If you had just shipped it to the out of state FFL (perfectly legal), you would not have had to have any contact with the State of CT. Like someone said. CT doesn't have registration (except for the new AW registration and machine guns).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom