CT pistol permit application question

I was wondering if anyone here had some solid knowledge as to how the system works here? I am not about to ask my local PD- I read what the MA folks go through and even though it's not MA, the good-old-boy system is working real well in this town so I'm not even going to go there.

When I applied, they said it "might" take eight weeks, or longer. It's been almost eight weeks to the day, and I heard nothing. I gave a call, and the person there wouldn't even refer me to the officer handling it- she said, did you get a call? (No) Do you have an answering machine? (Yes) Well then when it comes in, you'll get a call. The officer is real good about dealing with these things right away and getting it right out. How long it takes is all out of our hands, fingerprinting, maybe a lot of people applied, etc etc. [thinking] She was very firm and very sincere in what she said, and told me to wait for the call. [thinking]

One poster here (from CT) said he got his in 2 weeks and he said it just depends on how diligent the local PD is about taking care of it.

Does anyone have any solid knowledge on how the CT system works? Is it really out of their hands like my local PD says, or are they giving me the run-around? Thanks-

Goodness sakes- a lot of those posts there describe having an INTERVIEW process- Wow! Totally not required!!!! I never had an interview- I guess I ought to be thankful [thinking] [rolleyes]

Goodness sakes- a lot of those posts there describe having an INTERVIEW process- Wow! Totally not required!!!! I never had an interview- I guess I ought to be thankful [thinking] [rolleyes]

I forget what town you live in, but mine was a walk in the park. The cops are part-time (State Police respond at night / on weekends) so the toughest part was getting to the station for fingerprints while someone was on duty.

The town required an interview with the first selectman, but that was about 2 min long and more of an introduction than anything else.

I don't want to announce which town- kind of dumb I know because anybody that wanted to find out could look online & figure it out-

I had to put down references but they as much as said it was a formality, I only had two and they didn't care, I don't think they will call them. No letters of reference. On that thread that was referenced here, someone else in the SAME town, THIS spring, said this:

# Paid w/ personal check
From fingerprint to temp permit - about 5 weeks
No calls to employer/neighbors/etc
No special letters of recommendation or anything like that

However it's been EIGHT weeks for me- I really don't know if they are truly doing their best or if they are messing with me- [thinking]

The poster that took two weeks was me. This being said I have a friend in Bridgeport who was told that it will be over six months. The State guideline to get a permit issued is 8 weeks but they have not been able to keep up with the volume.

I live in NW CT as well in Southern Litchfield County. If you're anywhere out my way the lead time shouldn't be terrible.

I don't want to announce which town- kind of dumb I know because anybody that wanted to find out could look online & figure it out-

I had to put down references but they as much as said it was a formality, I only had two and they didn't care, I don't think they will call them. No letters of reference. On that thread that was referenced here, someone else in the SAME town, THIS spring, said this:

However it's been EIGHT weeks for me- I really don't know if they are truly doing their best or if they are messing with me- [thinking]

Gotcha. To give you a full shot:

- 3 Letters of reference
- Green application, notarized
- A check

Then I got fingerprinted & mailed the prints. Nearly exactly 8 weeks later I got a call from the first selectman herself stating that my app was on her desk and to come up for an interview. Another check, 5 min of my time, and I was out the door with a temp permit.

Then I ran up to Middletown with another check in hand for my permanent card.

I found it pretty painless though; the wait was the toughest part.

FWIW though, just as you mentioned, there is a guy on the AR15 site that references BFalls (where I got mine). They mentioned they were calling neighbors, etc.... I saw none of that whatsoever.

The State guideline to get a permit issued is 8 weeks but they have not been able to keep up with the volume.

The sad part is that you are more-or-less without any recourse. If your app takes over 6 months, all you can do is complain to the board of Permit Examiners (or something similar). But, their backlog is something like 7 years right now. [thinking]

Gotcha. To give you a full shot:

- 3 Letters of reference
- Green application, notarized
- A check

Then I got fingerprinted & mailed the prints. Nearly exactly 8 weeks later I got a call from the first selectman herself stating that my app was on her desk and to come up for an interview. Another check, 5 min of my time, and I was out the door with a temp permit.

Then I ran up to Middletown with another check in hand for my permanent card.

I found it pretty painless though; the wait was the toughest part.

FWIW though, just as you mentioned, there is a guy on the AR15 site that references BFalls (where I got mine). They mentioned they were calling neighbors, etc.... I saw none of that whatsoever.

It's interesting. I submitted no letters of reference (there is no demand or space on the application) and had no interview. I appeared at my local PD with the notarized application and was fingerprinted and went on my merry way. Application was approved shortly there after, but I also live in a small town. Bigger towns=more applications. The References and interview are at the discretion of the PD.

Hello,

Middletown resident. It's been two weeks since I sent in my paperwork and had the fingerprinting done.

When I applied I was specifically told to call back in exactly 8 weeks and ask for the status. She told me that it would likely be another two weeks before I got the permit. She was very upbeat about the whole thing.

Certain aspects of it are really out of their hands, other aspects are delayed due to the volume/staff cuts/whatever, and there's room for the local PD to delay it on their own if they so choose.

With the arbitration committee being all screwed up, you really have no practical recourse. CT is pretty much a may-issue state again.

I'd probably wait until about the 10 week mark and then inquire (politely) again.

I would be slightly worried that they might take the attitude of, "OK, I will give you an answer right now. No."

There are some recent applicant/holders on the ctshooting.com forum who could also give you info and you may find some from your town specifically.

I put this in the other thread..but this is what i was told...

I was told by my town they "could inquire as to make sure it was for lawful reasons" but "not unless they had reason to believe otherwise"...and "even if you refused to answer that would not be sufficent to deny you because the state would just give you your permit anyways".....they did ask for reference letters..but considering its a suburb of Hartford i was very impressed with how speedy it went...2 weeks...about 4-5 years ago

Back
Top Bottom