• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CT Permit Frustrations

So, I'm posting here for the first time, hello all!

I'm wondering generally how long its taken people to get their pistol permits in CT. I'm on 5 months of waiting now in Southington, CT. Is this normal?? I called the Southington Police 4 times, all said they would call me back and no one has. They originally told me it would be 6-8 weeks, then they said at the most 3 months.

Welcome and I'll tell you what I've recommended to others in MA.

Call your Selectmen, Town Manager or State Rep/Senator and tell them what's <not> happening. A quick call from one of them to your local chief and voilà, they will pop out your permit immediately. Yes, I've known people to do things like this . . . it works!

Call the DPS in Middeltown, they have the authority to either get the local PD on the ball or issue over there heads.

+1

If you call DPS they will issue the license to you and ream out the local PD. It's against the law for them to not issue your permit or give you a reason why you were denied after 60 days in CT. Call right away and they will take care you. The DPS officials are actually very nice people here in CT, IF YOU ARE NICE TO THEM. Don't be an ***hole on the phone with them and have dates and any info on hand. Don't be mad at them, it's your local PD dragging their feet, not DPS.

Thanks for the replies... unfortunately, I've called the DPS, and it didn't go like that at all :(

I was told they couldn't do anything and it was in the hands of my local PD. They said all they do is cash the checks and order the prints. It's up to the local PD to do everything else. They advised me to harass my local PD. So, I called AGAIN. They took my name, number and said they'll call me back. It has been the fourth time calling with no call backs. So frustrating, I feel like I can't do anything because if i piss off the local PD they might screw me more...

I'm from Southington, got my permit there back in 1987. They dragged their feet then too. I had my attorney call them and I had the permit the following day. Seems like things in the old town never change (which is why I moved the hell out). Do yourself a favor, get a hold of an attorney and have them call.

I've recently hired an attorney for selling my condo, i wonder if i could just have him call? would they do it for free? I know the department is backed up, as they originally told me they were and to expect it at about 3 months. Its now at the 5 month mark.

I'm in Wolcott and it took 10 weeks and I day. I went to the PD office the day before the tenth week to ask about it. They said I should hear something soon and two days later I received it.
If I didn't inquire would I had to wait longer, or did going there help? I don't know, but I got it.

Andy

Ya, I guess I could show up, but would they just give me the same run around? Someone I knew said it took 6 months to get theirs, and they live in Ansonia. Hopefully this won't be the case.

Per CT Law Section 29-28a:

(b) The local authority shall, not later than eight weeks after a sufficient application for a temporary state permit has been made, inform the applicant that such applicant's request for a temporary state permit has been approved or denied. The local authority shall forward a copy of the application indicating approval or denial of the temporary state permit to the Commissioner of Public Safety. If the local authority has denied the application for a temporary state permit, no state permit may be issued. The commissioner shall, not later than eight weeks after receiving an application indicating approval from the local authority, inform the applicant in writing that the applicant's application for a state permit has been approved or denied, or that the results of the national criminal history records check have not been received. If grounds for denial become known after a temporary state permit has been obtained, the temporary state permit shall be immediately revoked pursuant to section 29-32.

from here:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/pub/Chap529.htm#Sec29-28a.htm

Your PD is breaking the law. Get a lawyer and have them call. Report the local PD to the State and your state representative. Don't let bad LEOs get away with ignoring the law. That part of the statute was written specifically to stop what you are experiencing.

Ya, I guess I could show up, but would they just give me the same run around? Someone I knew said it took 6 months to get theirs, and they live in Ansonia. Hopefully this won't be the case.

Its time to go see the Mayor/First Selectmen! That is insane. The good thing is once you get it you never have to deal with them again as renewels are all done through DPS..

Should I just call their office and tell them the story? Or literally go and set up a meeting to meet with the selectman... I just called again, talked to a higher up sgt., and he said he is gonna get a hold of the officer in charge of the permits and ask about it. After I said its been 5 months, his reaction was "5 months huh?" Even they were surprised.

Per CT Law Section 29-28a:
Your PD is breaking the law. Get a lawyer and have them call. Report the local PD to the State and your state representative. Don't let bad LEOs get away with ignoring the law. That part of the statute was written specifically to stop what you are experiencing.
While the locals are in violation of the law when they ignore the 8 week period there is no punishment listed in the statute if they do so. [thinking] Its why some towns (usually the larger ones like New Haven and Bridgeport) intentionally ignore the 8 week period and drag their feet when issuing the permit. Back in 08, New Haven took six months to issue my temporary permit. During the long wait, I called all sorts of people; DPS, SPFU, Board of Firearms Permit Examiners. Everyone said the same thing, its a known issue that some towns intentionally drag their feet and until your denied there isn't much you can do about it short of getting a lawyer and filing a lawsuit. [sad] The Board of Firearms Permit Examiners person I spoke with said that one could file to start the appeals process, but they are backlogged (as much as a year or more).

The Board of Firearms Permit Examiners has issued a statement recently that the local issuing authority can no long ask for items beyond what the state form indicates. That means that you cannot be denied for not providing letters of recommendation, submitting to an interview, not submitting the invasive background check document that NHPD had (that one was a piece of work, everything in your life was reviewable).

It sucks that some towns feel the need to screw with people, but the good news is so long as you eligible for the permit you will eventually get it. And the state permit can be gotten the same day, and once the state permit is in hand you can buy pistols immediately.

One thing for those who haven't gone through the pistol permit process yet. Some recommend going for the Eligibility Certificate first. That is done by the DPS and is done fairly quickly. Then submit that certificate with your pistol permit application and hopefully the process will go much quicker. Both application requirements (and background checks) are similar. The major difference being with the certificate you cannot carry the pistol outside the home.

Thanks for the reply. Well, its been 5.5 months now and still nothing. I've called Southington PD a total of 6 times in the last 3 months, all with NO callbacks what-so-ever. The DPS tells me there is nothing they can do. I just don't understand why SPD can't return my calls. I'm polite on the phone and its been 6 tries!!! All I want is an answer, even if its not good news!

I don't have the funds right now to hire a lawyer, but it is a good idea. I stopped off at lunch in person at SPD. Same old story. The officer who is in charge and only knows about the permits wasn't there, and there was no other info they could provide. I left my seventh message to the officer on his voicemail after i left. we are now on 5 months and one week.

I'm repeating myself again but . . .

If you can afford a couple of $0.44 stamps and envelopes, you can write to your mayor/town manager/selectmen/state rep/state sen and ask them to look into this. I guarantee that this will resolve the issue and fast as long as you politely lay out the time-line of what you did and ask for their help.

Or you can grouse about it on NES for the next 3-4 months while waiting for something that may or may not happen.

Your choice!

I'm repeating myself again but . . .

If you can afford a couple of $0.44 stamps and envelopes, you can write to your mayor/town manager/selectmen/state rep/state sen and ask them to look into this. I guarantee that this will resolve the issue and fast as long as you politely lay out the time-line of what you did and ask for their help.

Or you can grouse about it on NES for the next 3-4 months while waiting for something that may or may not happen.

Your choice!

Is that how MA came to be a "shall-issue" state with OC'ing so widely accepted?

Yeah, but only because they we're angry letters!

torch%20mob.jpg

Is that how MA came to be a "shall-issue" state with OC'ing so widely accepted?

Although you can't get the support to change a law. The times I've been made aware that someone got a <anti-gun> legislator involved, the permits were issued post-haste after a call from the legislator's staff. They will act for an individual, but "stand up" for the issue publicly is high-risk in MA and they won't do that.

I've said many times, the way to get things done in politics is in the "back rooms"! [thinking] It's not nice or pretty, but it works and this isn't unique to MA (remember the OP is dealing with CT, not MA).

Although you can't get the support to change a law. The times I've been made aware that someone got a <anti-gun> legislator involved, the permits were issued post-haste after a call from the legislator's staff. They will act for an individual, but "stand up" for the issue publicly is high-risk in MA and they won't do that.

I've said many times, the way to get things done in politics is in the "back rooms"! [thinking] It's not nice or pretty, but it works and this isn't unique to MA (remember the OP is dealing with CT, not MA).

Sounds awesome.

As someone who got their permit in 2 weeks I would be raising hell...At the Mayor's office every morning..They are not going to be playing with my civil rights...This is unusual..I know people from almost every town in Northern CT that have permits and the process/wait (although unconstitutional) was not even close to as long as yours

Last edited:
Assuming you have a nice shirt and come off nice in person, just head down the your town hall, and wonder into your selectman/mayor/whatever's office. They're usually around, usually not too busy, and usually like making voters like them.

Coming in a bit late here, but have you kept track of the dates? Ie: date of submission, date of each call, etc? I would take that, and make a beautifully and professionally written letter, then bang it out to the PD with the First Selectman, Chairman Board of Police Commissioners, DPS, etc all in carbon copy.

If you do it by email, it's free, and you could bang them out all with everyone seeing that the other party is in copy.

I had a similar issue in Middlefield. We are a little different as we only have a couple resident troopers and no PD. But the only way I got it straightened out was that I kept going in person until finally they admitted they did not know what to do and the part time clerk was on maternity leave for another 2 months (had been 2-3 months already). I offered to type up the forms (they said they couldn't type) and got printed etc right on the spot. It only took a week or so after that.

I would ask when the officer in charge of the permits will be in the office and show up then.

I personally don't believe most of them are intentionally trying to keep you from getting a permit, just don't want to be bothered....

The OP is going about it entirely the wrong way.

He needs to make an appointment with the 1st Selectman/mayor/town manager.
He needs to present this to him in person, including documented dates, copies of the statutes.

He needs to ask the mayor to ask the PD EXACTLY what they are waiting for.

The Bd of Firearms permit examiners has the authority to issue a permit on their own. The problem is it will probably take 9 months to get a hearing.
It is time to stop being passive. It is time to be polite but aggressive.

Make an appointment face to face with the officer who handles pistol permits.
If he gives you crap about prints, remind him of the 8 weeks. Another thing is the law gives him an out if the fingerprint results aren't back. (although I'm sure they are).
If he can establish your identity by other means, he can issue without the prints.

You need to push this. But you need to push it politely. Be businesslike. Let them know that you know the law.

Call

Thanks all for the responses. Unfortunately I did not keep track of all of the calls, but I do know I handed the application in on 3/28 and its now 9/17. It is just so frustrating considering I am a law abiding citizen with no record, a great job and blah blah blah. They conveniently don't include their emails, so the email thing is out. I was thinking of writing (typing) a letter and sending it to the chief / town selectman. The best part is that the officer in charge of permits only works third shift, and since I work early, its a pain to call him at that time. I just might have to. What do you guys think?

@dcmdon- I have switched to businesslike aggressive; calling twice a week now and I did stop in there a few times. They have a glass wall so you still end up talking on the phone and not seeing anyone walking in to the SPD. How convenient.

Back
Top Bottom