• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ct non resident staying over in CT

Can someone who possesses a CT non resident permit stay overnight in CT with said permit? If I were out while visiting said people, and going somewhere my firearm was not permitted, could I leave it locked up at said residence I am staying at?

First of all, if you are talking about long guns, no permit of any kind is required to possess, transport or use them. You can drive down the road with your Remington 1100 across your lap and as long as it isn't loaded, you are legal. Its not advisable, but its legal.

Re handguns - if you have a CT non-resident permit, you can do anything a CT resident can do with their pistol permit except purchase handguns.

So with your permit you can do whatever the hell you want with the handgun.

Re state restrictions - there really aren't any other than schools that would apply to you. Carry is permitted in: colleges, hospitals, bars, restaurants, movie theaters, places of worship and just about anywhere else you could imagine.

There is a state regulation against carrying handguns in state forests, but this is aimed at poaching. As one conservation officer put it to me, if we catch you with a glock 26, we will tell you to go put it in the car. If we catch you with a 6" scoped 29 revolver, we will arrest you.

The bottom line is that if you have your non-resident PP, you can do whatever you want with it. And if you are staying in a home without children, you dont' even need to lock it up.

Don

p.s. don't ask me to cite where it allows carry in all these places. Its legal because there are no laws prohibiting it. So I can't prove a negative.

prohibition on school grounds: https://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap952.htm#Sec53a-217b.htm

carrying while drinking - notice that the gun must be loaded for this restriction to apply. Also notice that the BAC is .1%. So if you are drinkiing, you can unload and remain legal. Also, if your BAC is betwen .8 and .9% it is legal to carry a loaded firearm, but illegal to drive a car. Funny huh?

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap943.htm#Sec53-206d.htm

Long guns in a vehicle. Note that the only prohibition is that they can not be loaded.
https://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap943.htm#Sec53-205.htm

Re handguns - if you have a CT non-resident permit, you can do anything a CT resident can do with their pistol permit except purchase handguns.

Re state restrictions - there really aren't any other than schools that would apply to you. Carry is permitted in: colleges, hospitals, bars, restaurants, movie theaters, places of worship and just about anywhere else you could imagine.

There is a state regulation against carrying handguns in state forests, but this is aimed at poaching. As one conservation officer put it to me, if we catch you with a glock 26, we will tell you to go put it in the car. If we catch you with a 6" scoped 29 revolver, we will arrest you.
The catch is that if the premise where you're carrying (a pistol is prohibitive, by either law or the owner/controller's policy, 29-28(e) makes is a class e felony to carry there (like carrying w/o a permit, 2 years can not usually be suspended or reduced). Every college that I can think of has a prohibiting policy, which is usually quite restrictive (e.g. applying to grounds in addition to buildings)- in fact the only 29-28(e) prosecution/conviction that I can think of resulted from an individual carrying on a college campus. Similarly some hospitals are posted (I know for fact that UCHC and HOCC-New Britain post) and that other hospitals have policies as well. Some malls and shopping centers (e.g. Meriden and Manchester, extending through some of the outlying properties) are restrictive as are some other public accomodations (like movie theatres) as are many recreation areas (all recreation areas operated by various water companies seem to have a prohibitive policy, for example) and like state parks/forests with their administrative agency regulation, some towns have ordinances relating to town parks and/or town property (I'm not sure if those ordinances, or the administrative regulation applicable to state parks/forests would meet the prohibited location criteria in 29-28(e) or not, but why chance it).

Policies are irrelevant. it is incumbent upon the property owner/controller to adequately post the policy.

No signage = carry on. In 26 years of carrying in CT, I can count on one hand the number of places where I saw signage. That doesn't mean it wasn't there. The responsibility is not on me to investigate if it is legal. The legal responsibility is on the property owner to make sure I'm informed of their policy.

There is a HUUUUGGGGEEEE difference. In CT you don't have to hesitate walking into a business wondering if its prohibited. Its not your problem. If you see a sign, you can choose to obey it or not. But if you don't notice anything, then you should not waste one moment worrying. If the property owner notices you are carrying and objects you need to comply with their wishes. Its simple, with pretty much no opportunities to get screwed.

I do not know of anyone ever prosecuted for carrying into a posted area, as long they left or disarmed when asked to do so.

First of all, if you are talking about long guns, no permit of any kind is required to possess, transport or use them. You can drive down the road with your Remington 1100 across your lap and as long as it isn't loaded, you are legal. Its not advisable, but its legal.

The bottom line is that if you have your non-resident PP, you can do whatever you want with it. And if you are staying in a home without children, you dont' even need to lock it up.

Don

p.s. don't ask me to cite where it allows carry in all these places. Its legal because there are no laws prohibiting it. So I can't prove a negative.

prohibition on school grounds: https://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap952.htm#Sec53a-217b.htm

carrying while drinking - notice that the gun must be loaded for this restriction to apply. Also notice that the BAC is .1%. So if you are drinkiing, you can unload and remain legal. Also, if your BAC is betwen .8 and .9% it is legal to carry a loaded firearm, but illegal to drive a car. Funny huh?

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap943.htm#Sec53-206d.htm

Long guns in a vehicle. Note that the only prohibition is that they can not be loaded.
https://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap943.htm#Sec53-205.htm
would like to add, no undeclared magazines of 11 capacity or more and no "assault weapons" if not registered. dont drive around with a killy AR15 on your lap, unless its preban.

Technically there aren't any additional restrictions on non-residents.

If you want to possess what the state of CT now defines as an AW, you needed to have registered it by 1/1/14. You didn't need to be a CT resident, but obviously most out of staters didn't bother.

So the reality is that if you have a MA legal AR or AK, its unfortunately illegal to bring to CT now.

The exception to the AWB in CT is pre(94) ban guns. Original pre-ban guns are not considered to be AWs unless they are named specifically.

If you have a specific firearm in mind, let me know and I'll tell you if its legal.

Don

p.s. Please note that NONE of this applies if you are traveling THROUGH CT in compliance with the safe passage portion of FOPA. I have never EVER heard of the CT State Police or any other local law enforcement harassing a law abiding citizen traveling through CT under the protections of FOPA. That applies to both driving through and flying out of Bradley.

One other thing. FOPA does not apply to magazines.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom