CT non-res permit: Any substitute for NRA Basic Pistol?

So my non-res application for a CT pistol permit was returned to me since I didn't have the required training course. [crying] Apparently, only the NRA Basic Pistol course (LTC-002) is sufficient. I've taken the NRA Home Firearms Safety course and 9 handgun courses at the Sig Sauer Academy (Handgun 102, 103, Concealed Carry, Defensive Pistol, Low-Light Operator, etc.). [rolleyes]

Does anyone know of a course that *is* an accepted substitute for NRA Basic Pistol? I could take the NRA course, but apart from getting the CT permit, it would be a waste of $100 for me. Something like the Utah CCW course, if acceptable to CT, would be more useful. Ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:
NRA Personal Protection in the Home is good for[STRIKE] CT[/STRIKE], ME and FL (those are the only 3 states that I checked) and is a non-typical (of NRA) course. Lots of good info on self-defense (home invasion) type shooting and the legal aftermath.

See the following link for more info on course and contents:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ersonal-Protection-in-the-Home-Sunday-6-26-11

ETA - PLEASE NOTE: I've just been informed by another Instructor who checked with CT and they will NOT accept ANY training cert other than NRA Basic Pistol for a NR permit. [That's not what it says in their online instructions, but apparently that is what they are practicing.] Sorry for the mis-information.

Last edited:
Thanks LenS. That course sounds perfect. Unfortunately I'm going to a wedding that weekend. Are you going to be offering the course at a another date in the future? Also, is there a list somewhere that one could check which course satisfies CT's requirements?

The smith and Wesson permit class satisfies the ct requirement ( if you stay the extra 2 hours)

Thanks LenS. That course sounds perfect. Unfortunately I'm going to a wedding that weekend. Are you going to be offering the course at a another date in the future? Also, is there a list somewhere that one could check which course satisfies CT's requirements?

Yes, I will be offering it in the future. Don't know when but it will likely be 2-3 months out since I need BOD approval from Mansfield F&G to run the shooting part of the class each time (we have to shut down a range from other users for a couple of hours).

[STRIKE]Reading the CT requirements is where I obtained the info. Unlike MA, they don't list approved courses, but do outline what their minimum requirements are for a class.[/STRIKE] ME and FL are similar, listing requirements but not listing courses.

ETA: CORRECTION, nothing other than NRA Basic Pistol is accepted for NR permits in CT. See my change to Post #2.

Last edited:
ETA: CORRECTION, nothing other than NRA Basic Pistol is accepted for NR permits in CT. See my change to Post #2.

CT DPS says:

http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&q=294502

You are required to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course," prior to submitting the application. The NRA's "Home Firearms Safety Course" and "First Steps Pistol Orientation Program" are not approved courses.

Live fire is also required. Computer-generated programs, dry-fire, other simulated shooting tools, plastic bullets, air guns or any other alternatives are not acceptable. Students must fire a semi-automatic pistol or revolver. Any questions should be referred to the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit.

But CT law says in part:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap529.htm#Sec29-28.htm

No state or temporary state permit to carry a pistol or revolver shall be issued under this subsection if the applicant (1) has failed to successfully complete a course approved by the Commissioner of Public Safety in the safety and use of pistols and revolvers including, but not limited to, a safety or training course in the use of pistols and revolvers available to the public offered by a law enforcement agency, a private or public educational institution or a firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Environmental Protection and a safety or training course in the use of pistols or revolvers conducted by an instructor certified by the state or the National Rifle Association,

The law is slightly more broad. Unless you want to take them to court it's a moot point though.

Back
Top Bottom