coyotes in the woods

I was walking my 8 month old black Lab 9;30 one night, a weekago along the power lines in Billerica, and he took off chasing a coyote ..He was starting to gain on it when they went out of sight.into the bullrushes..3 min later my pup emerged { luckely not having cought the yote ].He now strutts around like a MMA fighter...

He's lucky. What they will do is run slow enough and/or act injured so the dog can follow them. They run back to the waiting pack, and then it is all over for whatever is chasing as the pack closes in.

Apparently I live in what Mass. considers the "sticks" and have coyotes in my backyard during the summer mostly at night, but lately we have had deer nesting in the tall grass. I take that as a good sign as to not having coyotes around at the moment. I have a Gammo Big Cat 1200, with the PBA ammo I took out a huge groundhog over the summer from about 25 yards that had been terrorizing my dogs. While it won't kill a coyote it should scare them off.

The 'yote I had in my backyard last year was as big as my 100lb coonhound, and it wanted nothing to do with her. She cornered it and it still was looking for an escape route instead of a fight.

They're animals, some will be more aggressive than others.

I talked with a local cop and he said "you have a right to protect yourself. Just remember that the bullet will travel" he also informed me that there have been multiple reports of coyotes in the area killing pets and also a few weeks back firming the day a pack surrounded a guy in his drovway while he was shoveling the snow. But he emphasized that I have the right to protect myself.

He's lucky. What they will do is run slow enough and/or act injured so the dog can follow them. They run back to the waiting pack, and then it is all over for whatever is chasing as the pack closes in.

^ This. Be careful, they're smart pack hunters.

Did you make this video eh?

The first coyote that charges me or any of mine will be immediately diagnosed as suffering from lead deficiency with treatment applied as soon as practical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I wouldn't worry about that particular coyote in that video.. I'd still kill it due to it being too confident. I'd be worried it would have no problem approaching a weaker opponent, like a child. Also, if that coyote was travelling in a pack, the guy in that video would probably be in a world of hurt.

Last edited:
I guess I'm in the minority. I won't shoot a coyote unless it is directly threatening me, but that goes to dogs and people too.

I look at it this way - if I don't shoot a coyote that isn't bothering me, if all these stories about how dangerous they are turn out to be true (not my experience, ymmv) and they attack someone later - it is one less moonbat to complain about me hunting deer or pheasant. If they don't like the coyotes, **** them, they can carry thier own gun - I'm not spending my money to protect the a**h***s who are against me carrying my firearm.

Similar story, almost shot my neighbor's dog when he came into my yard and charged Tiny Tuna - the dog was 5 feet from my "trip line". The dog left, I reholstered and didn't say anything further - my neighbor has been VERY nice ever since, and keeps his dog away from me and my kid.

yote.jpg

I took this picture of the back of my friend's truck.
coyotes.jpg

He's shot them over bait for the past few weeks. Some in that pile are well over 45 lbs.
His favorite thing to do is go park in the LL Bean parking lot for an hour or so.

Coyotes took out a cat, a small dog, several chickens and a horse on my father's property in Northern California. They drove down the driveway to find a half dozen coyotes chasing the horse around the pasture. They chansed them off, but the poor horse was too far gone and they had to put it down.

If I were you, I'd confer with the local COP and make sure you're in the clear, then take the little ****ers out...

If your discharging near a dwelling..... I would have to say hide in your basement and don't ansewr the door when to cops show up to seize your arms and arrest you .... good luck trying to prove coyotes were charging you ... iv been around them my whole life ...they are timid ...they will not attack a full size human .... or large bread dog unless they are hungry and in numbers ......they are in my backyard almost every god dam day .... they are afraid of my dog .... and any human interaction .....get yourself a .22 airrifle and wail them through the eyes ...... and then stuff them and take pics to post on here ...lol

Sorry, Chase. I, personally, know of two guys who were "hunted" and attacked here in CT. One was a hunter who had just shot his deer last fall. When he went to check it out, five 'yotes challenged him on the deer, grabbed his boot and tried to drag him off. He shot that one, two others, and beat one with his butt (had a bolt rifle with only a few rounds). Another that same fall was a farmer whose dog was following him on his tractor in his field. The dog saw one coyote and ran toward him only to have another handful of coyotes join the first. The dog barely made it back to the tractor that the farmer was running as fast as it could back to his house with the dog in his lap.

Coyotes may be timid in the less populated areas but around here they are fearless and are a serious danger especially to small children and pets if not adults.

Rome

coyotes.jpg

He's shot them over bait for the past few weeks. Some in that pile are well over 45 lbs.
His favorite thing to do is go park in the LL Bean parking lot for an hour or so.
All those coyotes shot in Freeport ? Lots of them in York County. I'm surprised how close to our house there the packs can be heard at night. I'd guess about 100' or so.

I'm on Cape and they are BOLD critters here. I have a 15lb(ish) dog who I take out on a leash. I was standing less than 20yds away from one on a lit road that goes through my complex when one emerged from the woods and stood in the road, under a street light and stared us down. I stomped my feet, waved a stick and yelled at it. It just looked at me like i had six heads. Maybe that's why he looked so big and well fed. Sometimes my two year old son comes out with me to walk the dog when my wife isn't home and I really don't feel good about how bold the 'yotes are. If they get near my child, I will end them and have to deal with the hassle of discharging a firearm near a dwelling. They have tried to take small cows on a farm one town over by sneaking into the pen under the fence. Not good. I have been told they are so big and bold on Cape Cod because they are part wolf, and I would certainly believe it. As far as I'm concerned, the only good coyote is a dead one.

Use a .22 with subsonic rounds. Makes less noice and they are good enough for coyotes. ...

Yeah, 'cause wounding is so sportsmanly. (Not!) Really, don't use a rimfire on coyote unless it is maybe 20 yards or less and you can make a head (eye) shot.

If your discharging near a dwelling..... I would have to say hide in your basement and don't ansewr the door when to cops show up to seize your arms and arrest you .... good luck trying to prove coyotes were charging you ... iv been around them my whole life ...they are timid ...they will not attack a full size human .... or large bread dog unless they are hungry and in numbers ......they are in my backyard almost every god dam day .... they are afraid of my dog .... and any human interaction .....get yourself a .22 airrifle and wail them through the eyes ...... and then stuff them and take pics to post on here ...lol

Again, skip it and try something larger. A .204 Ruger or .22 Hornet or .17 Remington would do quite well.

Yeah some may be Timid but are you willing to risk your life or someone you loves life or even a pet.
Dont trust them for one minute we are now dealing with the Northeastern Breed of Coyote 1/2 wolf 1/2 coyote . Larger ,More agressive and known to run in Packs.
These are not the Coyotes from 10 years ago. They Fear no one and Mass Wildlife will tell you your safe BULL.
Protect Yourself and your pets.
[laugh2][rofl]

Guess ill just have to grab one up and take some pics ..to prove to all you pussy footers that you don't have to worry about these sheepish dogs ..unless they are rabid or children/small animals are involved .....

Rabies is a different thing. It makes them do strange stuff and come in close.

Apparently I live in what Mass. considers the "sticks" and have coyotes in my backyard during the summer mostly at night, but lately we have had deer nesting in the tall grass. I take that as a good sign as to not having coyotes around at the moment. I have a Gammo Big Cat 1200, with the PBA ammo I took out a huge groundhog over the summer from about 25 yards that had been terrorizing my dogs. While it won't kill a coyote it should scare them off.

I haven't seen ANY this whole winter. I think I heard them only once. The neighbor said they are around, but nowhere near as much as maybe 2 or 3 years ago.

coyotes.jpg

Pretty sweet. Can he sell them inside LL Bean?

I finally saw one last week, was it in the woods? Nope. Walking around the median strip of 495 in lawrence right about 114 exit, looked like he mightve got pegged in the backside by a car.

I must admit, other than the fact that I've had to chase a couple away I've never really dealt with Coyotes around here; however, I can tell you with 100% the species itself is certainty dangerous to full grown men. We had an Iraqi Army soldier get attacked and eventually killed by a pack of them during my tour... and he got shots off! (Admittedly the wild life there is aggressive as hell) I won't go into the woods anymore without a weapon of some sort; but, I never did see any until the last four or five years.

PS: They do have awesome markings though, don't they?

I must admit, other than the fact that I've had to chase a couple away I've never really dealt with Coyotes around here; however, I can tell you with 100% the species itself is certainty dangerous to full grown men. We had an Iraqi Army soldier get attacked and eventually killed by a pack of them during my tour... and he got shots off! (Admittedly the wild life there is aggressive as hell) I won't go into the woods anymore without a weapon of some sort; but, I never did see any until the last four or five years.

PS: They do have awesome markings though, don't they?

In Iraq? Are those coyotes, or just feral dogs who are starving to death?

Depends what time; around dusk it was coyotes (who are small enough to get through C-wire and the Hesko walls and onto the JSS); when the light is finally done the dogs come out, and then later in the night the coyotes come back, usually closer to dawn. They were quite a PITA on the far side of the JSS, we couldn't go out that way unless we rolled in numbers during the night. They seemed to like to raid our burn pit and the brown lagoon; but, the dogs were also a source of some concern. A coupe guys in my brigade were attacked, but no major injuries from wildlife for us.

The poor dude got dragged back to the JSS by his battle-buddies; but, he was too far gone. The terp said it was coyotes... but who knows I guess, maybe dogs.

Sorry, Chase. I, personally, know of two guys who were "hunted" and attacked here in CT. One was a hunter who had just shot his deer last fall. When he went to check it out, five 'yotes challenged him on the deer, grabbed his boot and tried to drag him off. He shot that one, two others, and beat one with his butt (had a bolt rifle with only a few rounds). Another that same fall was a farmer whose dog was following him on his tractor in his field. The dog saw one coyote and ran toward him only to have another handful of coyotes join the first. The dog barely made it back to the tractor that the farmer was running as fast as it could back to his house with the dog in his lap.

Coyotes may be timid in the less populated areas but around here they are fearless and are a serious danger especially to small children and pets if not adults.

Rome
Hmmm so what are you disagreeing about .....did you even read the comment ..... it says. "Unless hungry or in numbers"..... they wanted the guys deer =food
You said there were 5 of them = numbers .... and I agreed with takeing them out .... so what is your compliant, you make no sence! All I was saying is discharging your weapon no matter what the reason ..will result in law enforcement following up on it and you will be put in the position of having to validate your life was in danger .... you just can run through a populated community shooting coyotes cuz you think they will attack! Lol. ..

Back
Top Bottom