Coyote 1 - Derek 0

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
Found this rooster on Friday afternoon. I was skunked.

coyote_pheasant.jpg

I find pheasants that look like that here but it is the hawks that have killed them.
We dont have any coyotes here.
They (hawks) primarily eat the breast and leg meat but leave the innards.
Im not sure a 'yote would leave those tasty soft innards behind.

I find a lot here with their heads (and only the head) taken cleanly off. Theory is that it is an owl, but ...... don't know if anyone has actually SEEN it happen.

I find pheasants that look like that here but it is the hawks that have killed them.
We dont have any coyotes here.
They (hawks) primarily eat the breast and leg meat but leave the innards.
Im not sure a 'yote would leave those tasty soft innards behind.

He was in a pretty heavily covered trench between two fields. Looks like the yote went in after him. Not sure a hawk would have seen him or caught him running through the covered trench.

That pheasant was a raptor kill, not coyote. If it had been a coyote, you would have found only a pile of feathers.

Wow, A coyote stripped the flesh off that leg bone without crushing it.
And did he leave the right leg mostly intact? That bird only looks half eaten.

For leftovers from an animal that weighs in at a minimum of 20 lbs, I would have expected a lot less of a carcass.

Wow, A coyote stripped the flesh off that leg bone without crushing it.
And did he leave the right leg mostly intact? That bird only looks half eaten.

For leftovers from an animal that weighs in at a minimum of 20 lbs, I would have expected a lot less of a carcass.

The left wing and ribs were crushed like it had been bitten. All the guts were eaten as well it was hollow.

License to kill coyotes by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill coyotes at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote.

caddyshack.jpg

If I were Derek, I'd ban anyone who disagreed with me about what killed the bird.

maybe that's why my forum never took off...

definatly not a yote., and to dixidawg if your finding birds with only the heads removed it's probally a fisher. i've seen the aftermath of 17 headless chickens after a fisher attack.

The left wing and ribs were crushed like it had been bitten. All the guts were eaten as well it was hollow.

Sounds more like a feline kill. They usually go for the high nutrient organ meet first.

Have you spotted any cougars around? And no, not the ones in the bars..

Sounds more like a feline kill. They usually go for the high nutrient organ meet first.

I've only seen yotes and foxes. I'd like to see some cougars. [laugh]

My neighbor HAD homing pidgeons and one day I found three of them that looked like they were sleeping on their backs with their wings out and heads turned sideways. Only bare skeletons left with head and wing feathers intact. He told me he watched a hawk do in the last one. I told him how bad I felt but inside I was cheering for the hawk to return for the rest.

1) there are not any cougars around. The do not live in the northeast.

2) if there were cougars around and one attacked that bird it would be just about gone in one bite.

I know of at least half a dozen good people in Huntington that swear they have seen a cougar.

There are hundreds or idiots who swear they have seen cougars in New England. Fact is there are none. There are thousands of trail cams in the woods every year and not one has gotten a pic of a cougar. Never has there been a confirmed road kill, pet attack, person attack. Impossible in the most populous region of the nation for them to go undocumented. In addition the closest breeding population is in South Dakota.

There are hundreds or idiots who swear they have seen cougars in New England. Fact is there are none. There are thousands of trail cams in the woods every year and not one has gotten a pic of a cougar. Never has there been a confirmed road kill, pet attack, person attack. Impossible in the most populous region of the nation for them to go undocumented. In addition the closest breeding population is in South Dakota.

I remember a few years ago there was some pictures from Colebrook N.H. and the North Maine Woods of mountain lions. There are no fences, what would keep them from coming out of Canada? 15 years ago there were "no" Moose in eastern Ma now it is surely uncommon but they are around. A bobcat was hit by a state trooper on rt44 in Plympton last year but there are no Bobcats either. at least 2 people in Maine have received federal fines for shooting wolves, one guy brought his huge coyote in U-Maine Orono to find out what it really was. After a DNA test he got fined 10 grand for his efforts, but there are no wolves in Maine. Just sayin why not?
I hunt in Montana with an outfitter who has never seen a big cat unless it was treed by hounds. He is a cattle rancher and hunting/fishing guide. He spends lots of time in the mountains. Yet he has never seen one minding its own business.
Arlow, I don't mean to be inflamatory but who knows whats out there.

I spoke to a wildlife biologist [in 2007] who lives in Shutesbury, MA. He said there ARE mountain lions in that area. Officially though, there are none. I questioned that reasoning; he said that no one reports them because the residents don't want to deal with the crap that will inevitably roll down from Fish & Game.

I saw a mountain lion clear Christianitos Rd. on Camp Pendleton. I was driving and the animal came out of nowhere, I didn't see it jump or land, I only saw the outstretched cat in mid-flight. It was impressive.

It looks like some type of animal killed the pheasant.[shocked]

Nobody believed we have wolves here either, until an aquaintance of mine shot one in Shelburne 2 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom