• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cowboy Action

J

Jose

If your club has a big cowboy action shooting setup, you may want to ask the match director if you can use their stages when matches are not going on.

I did and now I have a wide variety of scenarios for training with steel targets. Lots of doors, windows, and ledges to simulate almost anything that you can think of. There is even a plate at 50 yards for those long shots. The only restriction I have to deal with is that I have to use lead bullets at 1000 fps or less. Not a big deal since all my practice ammo is 38 Special loaded with 158 gr hard cast semi wadcutters at 900 fps. There are also plenty of loads available for cast round nose bullets in common rimless calibers.

Paper targets are definitely better for many drills, but after running drills for a while, it's fun to step into cowboy town and do some scenario shooting.

I just make sure I thank the "territorial governor" (aka CAS match director) every now and then, police my brass and raise any poppers when I am done, and make DAMNED sure that I don't leave bullet holes in their wooden props.

Just a thought.

That's really good. Does your club leave their Stages up all year long??

We have to take over our ranges, so we have to put up and tear down before and after each match.

But it's a good idea. SASS folks are good people.

C-pher (SASS#66181)

My club leaves one or two stages set up with a lesser number of targets through the off season for those who want to practice. From March through November they leave everything set up, and just move stuff around to change the scenarios.

Yep, the SASS guys are pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom