Cowboy action shooting

Will Cowboy action shooting allow reduced caliber guns? One of my girls is noise and recoil sensitive, but would like to give it a try.

At national events they're strict on the rules. At local matches I've seen a kid shoot .22 bearcats, a .22 rifle and a .410 shotgun. Ask the one running the local shoot. Unless they see a safety issue I can't imagine them not letting them shoot what they're comfortable with.

How old is she? Check with the club to see if that are running the "Buckeroo class (under 13 and using .22LR). This is from the SASS handbook:

Any Main Match revolver.
• Revolvers may be shot any style except Gunfighter.
• May use any SASS–legal main match shotgun and any main match rifle.
• May use any SASS–legal ammunition.
• Juniors are persons aged 16 and under. The category may be subdivided by age and gender.
Suggested divisions are “Young Guns” aged 14 through 16 and “Buckaroos” 13 and under.
Caution is urged in allowing competitors under age 14. Local laws, regulations, and
insurance requirements may prevent matches from offering some age groups.
• Parental consent and supervision is required for all competitors under twenty-one years of
age.
• “Buckaroos” must use revolvers, rifles, and shotguns meeting the external standards but
may be chambered in .22 LR for revolvers and rifles and .410 caliber for shotguns.
Standard velocity ammunition for these firearms must be used. Knockdown targets are not
required to fall for Buckaroo Category shooters. A hit will be scored as long as the target is
clearly hit. An alternate target MUST be provided for all aerial shotgun targets for
Buckaroo category shooters.
• Buckaroo Category shooters choosing to use center-fire ammunition in handguns and/or
rifles must meet all center-fire power factor and velocity requirements.

http://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/RO/SASSHandbook-16-2010.pdf

Schedule of shooting dates and clubs:

http://www.northeastcas.com/

Last edited:
Actually, they don't need a Buckaroo Class for a club shoot. If she is 13 or under she can just shoot the match as a Buckaroo. You state the class you're shooting in when you register for the shoot. Knob Creek is thinking about a major match - State or Regional not a Club shoot.

If she's older than 13, I'd talk to the Match Director. He may allow her to shoot the match with the .22/.410 combination in a "Just for Fun" class.

There are a lot of people shooting .32's and .38's. And 16GA is allowed as a main match caliber. I'd reccomend a decent - heavy - SXS shotgun in 12 GA but use Winchester Low Noise Low Recoil shells. It's what I use in my '97.

Take a look at that web site and decide on a match to attend. Call or email the match director and talk to him.

And if you go to a match, be prepared, not too many people go and decide not to play.

Hope that helps,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom