• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Covering your scent

I've been hunting in CT , just got out of the woods for my fourth hunting trip in these woods, Im hunting my buddys property that no one hunts. Saturday I let a 4 pointer walk, today i said to myself anythhing that walks by is getting stuck, sure enough a doe was eating around my stand I could not get a clear shot, just about as it was clearing the pine saplings the thing looked me in the eyes for a minute and then took off i was so BS. I still had no shot when it seen me.
Do you guys use the noscent soap shampoo and deoderent? I think i may not be covering my scent enough. even though i smell like dirt and leaves, store my clothes in a huge ziplock bag i do a good job covering up. wondering how the thing seen me in the stand....
Just want to get some ideas on how you guys prepare for a hunt?

I do everything I can to eliminate human scent. Wash cloths, and myself in scent free soap,
spray myself down with scent eliminator, but most of all, and most importantly, ALWAYS play the wind!
If the wind is not in my favor, I'll change stands. If the wind is no good that day, I'll leave.

Sometimes I grab pines and hemlock needles and rub them on my hands and clothes. I wash my clothes in baking soda. Make sure I don't stink where the sun don't shine. That's about it. I don't go overboard with scent elimination stuff.

Well...I believe that the deer are used to smells that are always in the area. I live on a horse farm. I heat with an outside wood furnace. So, what I do is walk through the horse poop and stand in front of the furnace for a couple of minutes. Now I smell like the surrounding area. The walk real close....

I don't believe that it is possible to eliminate your scent to the point that the deer cannot smell you. I use scent free soap and add backing soda to the rinse in the washer when I wash my hunting clothes. All our regular laundry is washed in scent free laundry detergent so there are no residual perfumes in the washer/dryer.

I minimize my scent as much as possible and pay very close attention to the wind ans I hunt the wind. If the wind is not favorable I move. There is no sense in educating the deer. This works. Last week I shot a very nice 8 pointer on the ground at 11 yards.

IMO she most likely made you when you both locked eyes. You should consider relocating your stand as the next time she comes through she will most likely look for you. Deer have a pretty good memory.

Bob

if a deer looks directly at you don't stare back, instead look behind you in the same direction the deer is looking, you would be surprised but a lot of times they will not spook and run

if a deer looks directly at you don't stare back, instead look behind you in the same direction the deer is looking, you would be surprised but a lot of times they will not spook and run

Its true. I have stood up on many deer that were staring at me and shot them.

Also, never step in gas a a gas station. Any sort of petroleum product will always cause a deer to scent you.

Last edited:
I keep my archery hunting clothes in a large sealed container. Wash them at the end of the season and a few times during. I put some of last year's scent disks in the layers of clothing to give them that wet acorn smell. sometimes I will bring the container with me and change in the field. this way I am not getting any home or other people scents on the clothing.

Another thing I'm conscience about is UV brighteners in cloths. Make sure your soap has no UV
brighteners in it, or you will be glowing like the sky on the 4th of July. Especially in low light conditions.

Thanks for all this tips guys, most of them i currently follow. I jsut wanted to see how you guys prepare for a hunt. Maybe im just upset the deer won that battle.

I was just gonna make the UV comment and boxer beat me to the punch![smile] I had my 8 pointer stare at me for 5 min last year before I shot him...just looked with periphial vision. The wind was my friend that day!!! I remember washing with Ivory soap as it dosen't have a fragrence and regular scent elimination soap clogs my poures so I get zit butt,not a fun thing to have. I was gonna try this Grandma's lye soap I saw said it was scent free. But, then again I know people who smoke and drink beer and piss at there stands and they bag deer every year...go figure

Another thing I'm conscience about is UV brighteners in cloths. Make sure your soap has no UV
brighteners in it, or you will be glowing like the sky on the 4th of July. Especially in low light conditions.

I actually picked up a special detergent just for that purpose, it removes all UV brightness.

I also use scent remover spray and store my hunting clothes in a plastic container that I also sprayed down inside.

The night before going out I rub dirt and anything I can find in The woods, except crap, all over my camo. I do that again in the morning, and duct tape around my boots and my gloves.

You won't smell yourself, but a deer will smell you anyways. So I don't know why I do it, I guess its one of those things you do anyways.

I was just gonna make the UV comment and boxer beat me to the punch![smile] I had my 8 pointer stare at me for 5 min last year before I shot him...just looked with periphial vision. The wind was my friend that day!!! I remember washing with Ivory soap as it dosen't have a fragrence and regular scent telimination soap clogs my poures so I get zit butt,not a fun thing to have. I was gonna try this Grandma's lye soap I saw said it was scent free. But, then again I know people who smoke and drink beer and piss at there stands and they bag deer every year...go figure

That's because if you do that a lot, the deer get used to that smell. The first time hey might be careful, bit when.nothing happens it becomes just another thing, so when the guy is up there, the deer won't pay any attention to him because it is used to the smell of piss, beer and smokes.

But for that to work you would have to piss on your stand a lot before the season.

Back
Top Bottom