Costa Ludas

For 3 days? $233 bucks a day isn't that bad compared some of the classes offered locally. There are some that are charging $250 for 4 hours for their basic Handgun class. 3 days in Costa's HE1 class would be the equivalent of at least 2 if not three leveled classes locally. I took a carbine class last summer with a guy at Weaponcraft who took the Costa class and said it was absolutely outstanding. I'd pay that in a heartbeat but at the moment I'd rather take Carbine Elements 2 next fall. You know it's not the cost of the class but the additional cost of the 1800 rounds of ammo needed that will get you

Here's a taste of his class at Weaponcraft

[video=youtube_share;JLjIJmO4yVI]http://youtu.be/JLjIJmO4yVI[/video]:

Last edited:
$233 bucks a day isn't that bad compared some of the classes offered locally.
Also cheap compared to the per-day cost of many professional education courses (such as those offered in the computer field by Learningtree.com). I do find their position that "you pay extra for our overhead" range fee surcharge mildly offensive.

Because it's not a balance. Its maximizing both. It is a fundamental flaw seen in most training that you need to sacrifice one for another, that you can't have 100% of both at the same time. If the instructor believes this, then they are limiting your progress.

Because it's not a balance. Its maximizing both. It is a fundamental flaw seen in most training that you need to sacrifice one for another, that you can't have 100% of both at the same time. If the instructor believes this, then they are limiting your progress.

For most people it IS a balance. How many people do you think can shoot full speed with perfect accuracy? Those that can don't need that class

I understand what Supermoto is talking about. There are instructors out there who do EXACTLY what he is talking about. They don't really know what to do about shooting aggressively at distance, so they say to slow down and balance it out... I watched Steve Gilchreast fill a NRA bullseye with 10 rounds at 25 yards in 6.7 seconds from the holster with a stock gun. That's when I stopped believing in balance. You can have it all.

Eta: what I really mean, and what I think Supermoto meant, is that some guys use that concept as a crutch.

Last edited:
For most people it IS a balance. How many people do you think can shoot full speed with perfect accuracy? Those that can don't need that class

Correct, people that can shoot like that don't need classes, those that can't, do. So why would you want an instructor that won't teach you how to do that.

Correct, people that can shoot like that don't need classes, those that can't, do. So why would you want an instructor that won't teach you how to do that.

I don't disagree with your assessment at all--I think you can have it all if you can put in the time. I think most folks don't have or want to spend the time to learn that level of shooting. They want to be able to save their asses if the SHTF and their lives are in danger. I don't think these types of classes are for the bullseye shooters making a single ragged hole, its about making a bunch of holes quickly to stop a threat while keeping holes from being made in you.
Oh, and maybe a little bit of ninja-magic and buzzwords. I mean, who doesn't like a good ninja roll while drawing from concealment and mag changes in one's workspace?? [rofl]

I don't disagree with your assessment at all--I think you can have it all if you can put in the time. I think most folks don't have or want to spend the time to learn that level of shooting. They want to be able to save their asses if the SHTF and their lives are in danger. I don't think these types of classes are for the bullseye shooters making a single ragged hole, its about making a bunch of holes quickly to stop a threat while keeping holes from being made in you.
Oh, and maybe a little bit of ninja-magic and buzzwords. I mean, who doesn't like a good ninja roll while drawing from concealment and mag changes in one's workspace?? [rofl]

But if an instructor tells you to slow down to get your hits, is that real teaching you anything? Wouldn't you like to be able to do head shots at 25y with .2s splits? Are you going to be able to get there if your instructor only pushes you to shoot 1s splits. It's always about going faster and more accuracy, never sacrificing one for the other. This is how you progress quickly as a shooter

I've taken courses with him before, but they were LE specific classes, so it wasn't so much foundational shooting concepts as it was scenario based training (with sim rounds), live shoot-house (working on moving through buildings), and individual/small group tactics. I can't speak to his perception of what balance of speed and accuracy means in his mind... but I can tell you this. When you are doing force on force simulation with a guy who is shooting back at you, you press the trigger as fast as you possibly can, because sim rounds hurt, and you want them to be in pain while they are trying to shoot at you.

If you take some of the balance of speed and accuracy literally, you would slow down, but no one slows down under pressure. You need to maximize BOTH. You do not rise to the occasion, you sink to your level of training.

I understand what Supermoto is talking about. There are instructors out there who do EXACTLY what he is talking about. They don't really know what to do about shooting aggressively at distance, so they say to slow down and balance it out... I watched Steve Gilchreast fill a NRA bullseye with 10 rounds at 25 yards in 6.7 seconds from the holster with a stock gun. That's when I stopped believing in balance. You can have it all.

Eta: what I really mean, and what I think Supermoto meant, is that some guys use that concept as a crutch.

Steve lives at the range. Do you? While possible certainly not realistic for almost everyone. No way can anyone take a 3 day class and achieve that performance. Costa teaches tactics and weapons manipulation

sent from my NSA approved phone

Steve lives at the range. Do you? While possible certainly not realistic for almost everyone. No way can anyone take a 3 day class and achieve that performance. Costa teaches tactics and weapons manipulation

I don't think you really understood my post. Would you agree that there are instructors out there that don't know the mechanics of shooting that use 'balance your speed with accuracy' as a crutch when distance is pushed?

edit: I'm very familiar with what Costa teaches.

You are not going to achieve the same results in the class because it takes time and effort, but the instructor should be giving you the knowledge and training foundation to get you there. That can't happen if you are told to slow down to get your hits

I don't think you really understood my post. Would you agree that there are instructors out there that don't know the mechanics of shooting that use 'balance your speed with accuracy' as a crutch when distance is pushed?

edit: I'm very familiar with what Costa teaches.

without a doubt! but certainly this class doesn't fall into that category.

You are not going to achieve the same results in the class because it takes time and effort, but the instructor should be giving you the knowledge and training foundation to get you there. That can't happen if you are told to slow down to get your hits

you have to slow down if you don't practice consistently. . no amount of academics can bypass that. every training i've ever taken pushes that.

Back
Top Bottom