Cosmoline removal

I just bought my first and I got the cosmoline off the metal with hot hot soapy (dish soap) water, then dunked in more hot water. I dried it off, then cleaned and oiled everything. The wood I did the same, it will have cosmoline come out when it becomes hot again, so I'll just leave it outside in a black trash bag. But for now it's good and shoots awesome!

All the removable parts (bolt assembly, magazine floorplate) I soaked in Simple Green + hot water, wiped the cosmo off, then oiled up with a light coating of CLP to prevent rust. It was effective, and the Simple Green actually smells pretty good. The receiver/barrel I scrubbed down with more CLP. The wood I pretty much left alone other than wiping off with some paper towels.

Thanks, I must have a mutant computer. I did a search for this and the results weren't productive.

I bought this rifle in the late 80's and have never fired it. Never did anything to it. Bought it at The Fair in West Boylston with a sling, spike bayo and oiler for $90 I believe. 26 factory, 9 million ser #. I even have ammo I bought the same day, how about $2.09 per 20? lol.

All the removable parts (bolt assembly, magazine floorplate) I soaked in Simple Green + hot water, wiped the cosmo off, then oiled up with a light coating of CLP to prevent rust. It was effective, and the Simple Green actually smells pretty good. The receiver/barrel I scrubbed down with more CLP. The wood I pretty much left alone other than wiping off with some paper towels.

I was heading that way. Some say never use SG.

I just bought a tokarev surplus pistol that was entombed in cosmo. After recently de-cosmoing my CMP Garand, I did this.

Completely strip all the metal parts/components down and wrap them in paper towels and let them sit directly on top of a hot radiator in a trash bag overnight. That removes about 90% of it into the towels. Wipe off any thick stuff left and soak the parts in Goo Gone. Its got an orange-y scent to it so its not totally unpleasant. Agitate them now and then and after a couple of hours or more if you like, use a toothbrush dipped in the liquid to remove any remaining from nooks and crannies. Wipe all parts dry with towels and oil them since they'll be pretty much stripped clean. Then grease the appropriate parts that should be greased. It works wonders and isn't flammable like mineral spirits or foul smelling.

For the wood, I'd do the radiator trick and then use a heat gun or hair dryer on it to bring out any more and just go slowly along the wood with heat in one hand and towels in the other to wipe it off as it seeps out. This also gets some dirt off along with the weeping cosmo. I wiped the wood down with a silicon rag after it was all done.

Back
Top Bottom