• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coronavirus Lockdown Effects On Wildlife

DJBrad

NES Member
A very interesting perspective wrt to us hunters. I’m posting this here so it doesn’t get clogged up with pus.

How will this impact the hunting seasons here in the NE? We do know that there may have been a bit more people in the woods because of the lockdown.

Will this lockdown cause some people to give greater consideration to conservation and preservation efforts?

Certainly the parting shot of the monkeys on the foodstuffs was an new concomitant concern by feeding animals by hand or with human food.

Maybe due to high density areas of humans being locked down, such as was portrayed in the video, we see this phenomena. I can’t say I’ve seen more wildlife around here due to the sparsely populated areas. There is just too much forested land.

View: https://youtu.be/DO4NZXJJYz8

Or the opposite happens. We start shooting everything in sight because we can't get anything at the supermarket :)
I had thought about that and as uzi2 shared on one thread, WV kept the deer season opened longer due to a lack of meat at the markets.

I'm seeing more turkeys on the trail cameras than I ever have. That might be the result of some timber harvesting that messed up my deer season last year. Humans? Other than their discarded gloves on the ground, I don't anticipate any changes or effects. The lockdown will be over in a few weeks, and then back to the new normal. The ticks haven't gone anywhere, that's certain.

I went out for groceries today and there were rafters of turkeys in the Back Bay Fens. First time in six years I've seen them migrate over from Brookline. With human activity down more wildlife is getting brave enough to venture into more densely settled areas. Less noise, dogs, cars, and people to bother them exploring new potential habitats.

I doubt that there will be any appreciable effect on the wildlife. The does were bred last fall so no real change there.

The turkey population would get a good bounce if the season was cancelled or shortened.

The trout fishery is a put and take fishery so that all depends on stocking trucks rolling.

Quabbins opener has been pushed back from April 21st to May 9.

Bob

To prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus, DCR is postponing the start of shoreline fishing at Quabbin Reservoir and the opening of the Quabbin Boat Launch Areas until Sat. May 9, 2020.
2020 Quabbin Fishing Season Parking Pass

The 2020 Quabbin Fishing Season Parking Pass is good from the start of the Quabbin fishing season until the season closes. If there are any delays to the 2020 fishing season because of ongoing restrictions related to COVID-19, the pass will be valid from the new starting date. No partial refunds will be offered if the 2020 season is shortened. Please allow 7-10 business days to receive your season pass in the mail. You will get a receipt (through email or text) when you make the purchase which will be accepted until you receive the Season Pass card in the mail.

Quabbin Reservoir Fishing Guide

There's been a lot less road kill on the roads in my AO........A lot less cars and trucks too.

I've been seeing plenty of deer in fields around here at times of the day that I've never seen them before. People less active outside, animals more active.

There's been a lot less road kill on the roads in my AO........A lot less cars and trucks too.

That’s a good point that I hadn’t considered. That might give the deer population a little bounce.

I've been seeing plenty of deer in fields around here at times of the day that I've never seen them before. People less active outside, animals more active.

They are normally noticeable out this time of year. The first green up is on the sides of the roads plus there is a supply of salt fro the winter salting apples.

Your schedule may be different than your usual schedule as well.

Bob

My local bobcat(s) and deer have both been emboldened by the reduction in vehicles on the roads.

I've personally run across more young deer just wandering in the roadway instead of immediately jumping off into the woods when they hear me coming. They're not learning proper fear of auto traffic.

Jesus Christ, it’s been two friggen weeks. I don’t think the animals are doing anything other than maybe going places that are quieter than they used to be. Around here it’s business as usual. Farmers aren’t gonna not farm because of a virus.

I'm seeing more turkeys on the trail cameras than I ever have.

Remember that 16 chicks per female is not uncommon. Take away 75% in reduction due to loss to predators or disease and that leaves 4 new birds per female each year. with a flock of 15 birds, 5 of them males and that grows the flock or population by 40 birds a year! Divide the survival rate in two an it still expands the population by 20 a year!

In Central MA....I expect zero effects on wildlife, unless there is a meat shortage. Then there will be some night jacking. Not seeing many deer. Seeing a ton of Turkeys, but that's normal right BEFORE Turkey season....they they seem to disappear.....

I will say that odds are Turkey season will be busier than normal as a lot of people have time off. I see a lot of people "working from home trout fishing" in the mornings on the way into my work. I assume Turkey season will be the same....especially because Turkey hunting is usually very early morning, you can be done by 6 or 7 sometimes if your getting them off roost.

Looking forward to people scaring the deer out of the state/town land and out onto my private hunting property where (I hope) theyll find it a nice and safe place to chill out to early december or so.

I’m constantly in the Woods year round, scouting hiking hunting 150+ days a year anyways and I’ve never in my life seen so many people in the woods in the Cape Ann area in my life. I usually might bump into people 1 out of 4-5 trips into the woods usually close to the trail head once I get a half mile from the road the woods are mine. Not now it’s crazy I did 6 miles with my son in the pack a couple weekends ago and I ran into probably 20 different groups of people. I got further off the beaten path looking for deer sign no matter where I went I seemed to stumble upon people. The trail heads which might have a car or two usually have been packed with parking up the road, I snuck into a spot I hunt and was walking around no mans land off the trail with the boy the other day and bumped into 2 different groups of hiker and one lone biker carrying his bike through the woods. I want it to go back to normal with people glued to TV’s at home so the woods can go back to the way they were. All it takes is a sh*t storm and people told to stay home and what does everyone do, go into the woods. I have a few spots I shoot in the woods and I won’t do that anymore

Back
Top Bottom