CORI question

Lucas

NES Member
Couldn't find an answer to this. My wife wants to apply for a LTC. Her previous employer required occasional CORI checks which were always clean. I was wondering, in this world of messed up information and records, does a "clean" CORI mean that a background check by the police department would produce the same information. In other words does a CORI check look at the same records? I would hate for her to apply and have a surprise error appear to mess up the process. It's tough enough when everything is in order.

Is there something on her record that she would be "surprised" to see? If so, contact a lawyer. If not, just answer the questions completely.

She should do a self-cori check yearly.

Its either $25, or fees may have been raised to $35

Why?

Serious question . . . if she committed no crimes, never appeared in court, a yearly CORI is just a waste of time/money. Personally I don't believe in doing them ever . . . I recommend visiting (or calling) the Clerk's office in every court you ever appeared in and getting a copy of every Docket Sheet with your name on it.

The PD will find tons more than a CORI, assuming that there is anything at all there on the person.

Why?

Identity Theft.

Some guy/gal gets arrested for whatever reason, he/she has warrants , so he/she gives the officer the name and birthday of someone else that they know with a clean record.
Or they commit some type of check fraud out there.

They fail to appear in court, you only find out about this warrant when you are arrested.

It's happened.

Ask some of your police friends.

Guess that is what I was thinking. You never know what info is out there about you till a record check is done. In this state you get one chance to get it right with most police chiefs. We recently attended a class at the Sig Sauer Academy in Epping NH. It was the basic Handgun 101 class and she received her certificate. Since she didn't have a license Sig Sauer required a background check done through the NH State Police. Don't know how in depth our neighbors to the north are but it came back good. Will be submitting her application next week. Probably just worried for nothing.

The general consensus is that the cop's look-see is like a super-CORI check, and stuff that the employer would not see will be seem by John Law if it's there.

Answer Question 10 as it's asked.....

This. For police, it's called a BOP. It will also pull up any warrants and any restraining orders in which the person is a defendant. I'm not sure if HPA's (258E Orders) have been rolled into that system yet. Most but not necessarily all juvie stuff will also come up.

But if there's nothing there, there's nothing there.

Why?

Serious question . . . if she committed no crimes, never appeared in court, a yearly CORI is just a waste of time/money. Personally I don't believe in doing them ever . . . I recommend visiting (or calling) the Clerk's office in every court you ever appeared in and getting a copy of every Docket Sheet with your name on it.

Good call.

I also know of stories of clerks make minor clerical errors that had major consequences. Like accidentally writing in "guilty" instead of "dismissed".

Identity Theft.

Some guy/gal gets arrested for whatever reason, he/she has warrants , so he/she gives the officer the name and birthday of someone else that they know with a clean record.

This can result in an Alias in the FBI system. It is really, really bad news and tough to sort out.

This can result in an Alias in the FBI system. It is really, really bad news and tough to sort out.

This is true, but FWIW, it's relatively rare. The person jammed up usually knows the person who gave the fake name. Because you have to know a substantial amount of info about the person by memory, the person giving the fake name is usually a family member or close friend.

This is true, but FWIW, it's relatively rare. The person jammed up usually knows the person who gave the fake name. Because you have to know a substantial amount of info about the person by memory, the person giving the fake name is usually a family member or close friend.

I know someone who's brother did this to them. It sucks.

Couldn't find an answer to this. My wife wants to apply for a LTC. Her previous employer required occasional CORI checks which were always clean. I was wondering, in this world of messed up information and records, does a "clean" CORI mean that a background check by the police department would produce the same information. In other words does a CORI check look at the same records? I would hate for her to apply and have a surprise error appear to mess up the process. It's tough enough when everything is in order.

I got a self requested cori check through the state and it costs 25.00. I did this before I applied just to be sure of everything. Very helpful.

Identity Theft.

Or they commit some type of check fraud out there.

They fail to appear in court, you only find out about this warrant when you are arrested.

It's happened.

Ask some of your police friends.

This. It's not as easy to do now that just about every cop has a laptop in his cruiser & facial recognition programs in driver's license databases, but it still happens.

I also know of stories of clerks make minor clerical errors that had major consequences. Like accidentally writing in "guilty" instead of "dismissed".

I've read a couple NES posts where a clerk wrote "felony" instead of "misdemeanor" & guys had ATF show up at their house to take the new gun they just picked up from the FFL. I agree with Len, if your have anything negative on your criminal history, get copies of all documents while you still can to show that your case was taken care of.

If you have a common name, I would do the check. I represented an individual who was held on a new charge because the court had mistaken his identity, and then probation applied the identity to his SS # - it was a mess and it took a lot of man hours for me to resolve it for him. Sometimes people in the criminal justice system will assume you are a criminal because you are there, and police will believe what they read if your name is on it.

Back
Top Bottom