Copy of 4473?

SteelShooter

NES Member
Might be a stupid question, but I searched and couldn't find anything. I'm sending in for my free Sig accessories and it's asking for a copy of my 4473 from the purchase. I don't think I ever got a copy of the 4473 when I purchased my other gun and didn't get one this time. Should I be getting a copy from the FFL at time of purchase? Can I still get a copy from my most recent purchase?

Might be a stupid question, but I searched and couldn't find anything. I'm sending in for my free Sig accessories and it's asking for a copy of my 4473 from the purchase. I don't think I ever got a copy of the 4473 when I purchased my other gun and didn't get one this time. Should I be getting a copy from the FFL at time of purchase? Can I still get a copy from my most recent purchase?

I would call Sig and inquire. Offer to use the FA 10 in it's place. It is effectively the same thing for their needs.

Last edited:
Depending on how long ago you purchased it, you may not make friends at the gun shop if you go back asking for a copy. I asked to see a copy of the 4473 from a purchase I made a few months ago, they grumbled at that idea. I quickly said, "Nevermind, not really important enough."

Depending on how long ago you purchased it, you may not make friends at the gun shop if you go back asking for a copy. I asked to see a copy of the 4473 from a purchase I made a few months ago, they grumbled at that idea. I quickly said, "Nevermind, not really important enough."

Probably has something to do with the 72 Hr law.
<snip> When National Insant Criminal background checks (NICs) was started and required for purchase, NH passed a state law requiring the records of the check be destroyed after 72 hours specifically to prevent the check information from being entered into a database for future registration. <snip>

I believe he is referring to the 4473.

Probably has something to do with the 72 Hr law.

I think they're talking about the back end check records (eg, NICS POC in NH for Handguns) not the 4473. If a dealer destroys 4473s, they'd be in a heap of trouble if there was an inquiry by BATFE and no 4473, with the exception of the 4473 being older than the retention interval specified by law. (It's some stupid amount of time like 20 years).

The dealer probably grumbled at doobie because his 4473 was buried in a file
box somewhere, probably under several other boxes of 4473s. At high volume dealers, records retrieval is likely a bitch and a half due to the volume of transfers.

ETA: One part of me says that an NH state law that tells a dealer to break a federal law would be
fun, though. [devil2] That'd make for an interesting pissing contest between the feds and the
state.... the kinda thing that well, forments revolution. [wink]

-Mike

Last edited:
The "new" yellow 4473 is in booklet form and would require three copies. Any FFL worth doing business with would make a copy for you. You should probably bring your receipt for the original purchase. Jack.

I just made the purchase 4/9 and found the rebate offer yesterday. Hopefully, it will be easy to find. The Sig rebate is for a free STL-100 flashlight and a Dual retention Paddle Holster, "A savings of over $160" .

Back
Top Bottom