Conway regulation?

HTRN

Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
Hi all, did a search and came up with zilch.

My question is: I am [going to be] camping in Conway at a private campground. One of their rules states that Conway has a law that prohibits firearms in campgrounds.

Is this true, it this only for non-permit holders? Can I CCW for protection?

BTW, I know if i conceal, no one will know, but I like to live by the letter.

Thanks!

NH State law prevents municipalities from enacting laws and regulations preempting state law. There is no state law preventing you from carrying in a campground. However the property owner can refuse service to you if they wish.

There is an exception to the preemption law however. In the "compact part" of a municipality they can ban the discharge of firearms. They can not ban the carry of them though.

You can read more about the preemption law by reading an article at the GONH site.
http://www.gonh.org/articles

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XII/159/159-26.htm

159:26 Firearms and Ammunition; Authority of the State. –
I. To the extent consistent with federal law, the state of New Hampshire shall have authority and jurisdiction over the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearms components, ammunition, or firearms supplies in the state. Except as otherwise specifically provided by statute, no ordinance or regulation of a political subdivision may regulate the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearms components, ammunition, or firearms supplies in the state. Nothing in this section shall be construed as affecting a political subdivision's right to adopt zoning ordinances for the purpose of regulating firearms businesses in the same manner as other businesses or to take any action allowed under RSA 207:59.
II. Upon the effective date of this section, all municipal ordinances and regulations not authorized under paragraph I relative to the sale, purchase, ownership, use, possession, transportation, licensing, permitting, taxation, or other matter pertaining to firearms, firearm components, ammunition, or firearms supplies shall be null and void.

-Nat

Hi all, did a search and came up with zilch.

My question is: I am [going to be] camping in Conway at a private campground. One of their rules states that Conway has a law that prohibits firearms in campgrounds.

Is this true, it this only for non-permit holders? Can I CCW for protection?

BTW, I know if i conceal, no one will know, but I like to live by the letter.

Thanks!

Conway does not and cannot legally have a law prohibiting firearms. The campground *could* have a law, and state that it is Conway's law so people are less likely to break it. I'd carry concealed and don't tell anyone. But then again if it were me, I'd probably OC just to see what happened.

Back
Top Bottom