Convincing the Wife

Any of you guys have problems convincing the wife about storable foods and the preparedness mindset? [thinking]

Look at it from a different perspective. Maybe instead of trying to convince her, tell her you would like to start something for your own peace of mind and find some place or space to start something "small". Treat it like it is a "fun" thing to do (for you). Let it grow.

Look at it from a different perspective. Maybe instead of trying to convince her, tell her you would like to start something for your own peace of mind and find some place or space to start something "small". Treat it like it is a "fun" thing to do (for you). Let it grow.

Exactly. Hubby and I were in agreement though.[grin]

Any of you guys have problems convincing the wife about storable foods and the preparedness mindset? [thinking]

Convince her to watch the TV today as the WHO declares that we have a global Pandemic (level 5 or 6).

As the Gov begins to execute their playbook (which is centered around mitigation rather than containment at this point) tell her that the first thing they will do is close the schools for 1-3 months. Is she prepared to shelter in place for that amount of time?
From the CDC’s playbook, we’re likely to see some of these measures suggested shortly.
http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/mitigation.htm

And from the link on that page to the “previously published US gov information”
“Recommendations for dismissing students from classes will depend upon the severity of the pandemic. The current three-tiered planning approach includes 1) no dismissals in a Category 1 pandemic, 2) short-term (up to four weeks) dismissal of students during a Category 2 or Category 3 pandemic, and 3) prolonged (up to 12 weeks) dismissal of students from schools during a severe influenza pandemic (Category 4 or Category 5 pandemic).
In the most severe pandemic, the duration of these public health measures would likely be for 12 weeks, which would have educational implications for students. “
The current severity of what we're seeing is a Category 5 Pandemic

Tell her that the pandemic planning models used by the Gov the past 4 years have been based on a CFR (case fatality rate ) of 2% which mirrored the 1918 Pandemic in which 50-100 Million died. We're currently seeing a 6% CFR.

Their models also include a 43% absenteesim rate, brought on by Closing the schools, sickness, death and just plain fear. Ask youself what happens to our just in time economy when 43% of the truckers stop trucking goods and services, when 43% of the Water and Power and Oil employees are absent?

Do you think she needs more than that?

That's what I did. Not that she was truely against it from the beginning. She didn't see a need. I explained it was something I would like to do... peace of mind.... keeping her and the children safe..... no real impact to house hold funds... a little extra just incase...etc.

When I had organized the storage area I asked her to pick up a couple extra cans of vegetables when she went shopping. Nothing to big at first. I had built some FIFO (First In First Out) shelves. Easy to see the stock of can goods. In a short time she would look at the shelves and start making her shopping list based on what was low stock on our shelves. In the mean time I had started picking up the longer storage stuff.

We are nowhere near prepared for some big event, but we are much closer than we were a year ago.

IMHO there is no need for a massive initial buy. A little here and there and you will be surprised how quickly it adds up.

That's what I did. Not that she was truely against it from the beginning. She didn't see a need. I explained it was something I would like to do... peace of mind.... keeping her and the children safe..... no real impact to house hold funds... a little extra just incase...etc.

When I had organized the storage area I asked her to pick up a couple extra cans of vegetables when she went shopping. Nothing to big at first. I had built some FIFO (First In First Out) shelves. Easy to see the stock of can goods. In a short time she would look at the shelves and start making her shopping list based on what was low stock on our shelves. In the mean time I had started picking up the longer storage stuff.

We are nowhere near prepared for some big event, but we are much closer than we were a year ago.

IMHO there is no need for a massive initial buy. A little here and there and you will be surprised how quickly it adds up.

All excellent advice and under normal cirumstances it's exactly the approach I took and would suggest to others. HOWEVER, the time for the little bit here little bit there has passed given the H1N1 outbreak. Not to sound alarmist, but IMO you have very little time to get your house in order. Once the WHO (world health organization) raises the level to 5-6 Pandemic, all hell will break loose when it comes to people trying to prepare their families. I beleive that will occur within the next 24 to 48 hours.

Most people I've spoken with the past 5 days have NO idea whats going on with this flu, they have no idea what the ramifications of a Pandemic will be. The history of 1918 is lost on our generation. We just don't understand how bad things will get, and more importantly, how quickly things will get bad.

Use power outages, blizzards and hurricanes as a starting point. Something tangible and probable. Start with a weeks worth of storable food and then build up from there.

Use power outages, blizzards and hurricanes as a starting point. Something tangible and probable. Start with a weeks worth of storable food and then build up from there.

Believe me I know this all to well, living in Fitchburg. I was one of the guys that had enough nut to drive to Home Depot at 5:00 am during the storm to pick up supplies. Even though I hadn't planned in advance, I had enough insight to pick-up a chainsaw, generator and gas canisters. I watched the place completely sell out of generators in under an hour while I decided on which generator to buy.

As time passes by things get forgotten when the daily grind kicks back with kids and work and she quickly gets sedated by the television [rolleyes]----->[popcorn] and thinks everything is going to be alright.

Seriously, how many more SHTF scenarios can a family go through.....[thinking]

I love reading all the posts and getting different views/perspectives on things, but don't you think we kind of feed into each other....kinda like people hoarding ammunition....makes more people hoard ammunition?

She's even got me doin it...ugh...[laugh2]

The other thing that bothers me is that....she believes entirely in the system and how it is going to take care of us. She also believes that, "Being prepared is ultimately living in fear and that it is like hoping that the SHTF" To which I argue..."I'd rather be prepared than live with blinders on." As you can see....its one big vicious cycle.

I totally get this and have been doing it for quiet some time. The problem lies in deciding on which type of long term storable food to invest in as they can get very costly. Having a good balance between canned, freeze dried goods is necessary IMO. How much to spend...and how to make the right argument when it comes to an investment of this magnitude?

<snip> How much to spend...and how to make the right argument when it comes to an investment of this magnitude?

Misfortune makes good a learning tool:
As said by others, use examples, last years ice storm was what kicked things over the top for my wife. She was starting to get on board as a few years ago we both had the misfortune to become unemployed at the same time.
Having a store of food was one less thing to worry about.

Neither she nor my son was willing to even try freeze dried food or mre's before the storm. We had enough dry and canned goods on hand to pull through and enough candles for night times too.

At the time she was set against buying a generator and an alternate means of heating the house (wood or pellet stove)

Jump to now: They still don't like mre's (Who does ?) but they've come around
on the freeze dried stuff. Its actually not bad. We've got a pellet stove and a battery back-up system with a solar charger to run it.

We'll have a generator soon also.

A break-in at our former residence drive home the fact the police won't always be there when they are needed. Now she understands the importance of carrying within the home.

She's also checking the Wal-Mart for ammo for me now too.

Finally she "Gets it.". [smile]

Take little steps and there won't be any arguments at all.

It's all a learning curve. I use every outage or whatever situation to re evaluate what we might still need, or what to stock up more on.[grin] We're getting there.

I totally get this and have been doing it for quiet some time. The problem lies in deciding on which type of long term storable food to invest in as they can get very costly. Having a good balance between canned, freeze dried goods is necessary IMO. How much to spend...and how to make the right argument when it comes to an investment of this magnitude?

I've been doing this for many years. When I first started, I bought 1 months worth of MREs for 4 people. Then started buying "Superpails" from Emergency Essentials, wheat, sugar, rice, beans, etc.

My wife thought I was nuts, but humored me with all of the above (this is just the food aspect, a small part of my "cache")

Once I had all that I was debating on continuing down that path and just stockpiling food I don't eat and hopefully will never touch, or to get into a food rotation system with the FIFO shelves. I started buying canned foods. I would get 10 extra cans of whatever every shopping trip. Then I got more organized. I started only buying cans of food that we actually eat on a regular basis. Beans, fruit cocktail, SPAM, Ravioli for the kids, etc. and started integrated them into our meal plan. Then I moved on to items that having a shorter shelf life, cans of coffee, etc.

Now I have over 800 cans of food that is rotated into our daily menus. When I get down to 4-5 of a certain food, I pick up another 5 cans of it. My wife LOVES it because we never, ever, run out of anything. Nothing. Ever. Toilet paper, tampons, soap, food, coffee, toothpaste, children's tylenol, you name it. I've never had to run to a store to pick up anything at the last minute with the sole exception of milk. I can't stand powered milk, I need it fresh!

Anyhow, your mileage may vary, that's how I've worked it. I sold it to the wife more on the "Hey, let's join Sam's club and buy stuff when it's on sale, I'll take care of stocking everything and making sure we have enough of whatever you need!"

As far as milk goes I do keep some Parmalat milk around in the cupboard. It does have a short shelf life, but if you rotate it it works.[grin]

she believes entirely in the system and how it is going to take care of us. She also believes that, "Being prepared is ultimately living in fear and that it is like hoping that the SHTF"
Your wife is living in deep denial. It's most people's coping strategy, so it is not uncommon.

I think this is a good approach. Setting up preps can be a kinda fun thing, and doesn't have to be all fear and apprehension of global calamity. [shocked] (That comes later [wink])

An introduction to the FEMA preparedness website can help to instill the idea that it IS prudent to prepare for natural and manmade disasters. See? Even our gummint recommends it! [grin]

Make it fun. Calculate daily and monthly food and water requirements. Lay out sample survival menus. Play around with a dehydrator or some store-bought storage foods and pretend to be real survivalists! Evaluate your dependency on electricity and consider alternative sources of heat, light, cooking fuel.

Hey, planning for survival after TEOTWAWKI is a game the whole family can play!

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom