converting a MA resident LTC to a non-resident LTC

I have a somewhat unusual situation that I'm looking for some guidance on.

Last year, I had to take a job in Florida expecting that, if it worked out, I might be relocating there. My wife remained in our residence in Newton and I "commuted." I got a Florida driver's license because it was easier to lease a car there and the insurance was cheaper.

Well, as luck would have it, the company in Florida has not done well and I'll be moving permanently back to MA in September. But my MA LTC is due for renewal next week.

Do I have to first get my FL driver's license converted back to a MA license before renewing my LTC? (My primary residence is still in Newton, MA.)

Or could I apply to change my MA LTC to an out-of-state LTC and then change it back when I return permanently to MA in a couple of months?

Thanks for any help or advice you could give me.
-Mack

IANAL, but if your residence is in Newton your residence is in Newton. So you're still a Mass resident.

How would Mass know you got a FL license? Did you tell them? I don't think it's any of their business, especially since your residence is in Newton.

Because, see, your residence is in Newton.

See what im getting at? Wink wink?

As for flipping your license from res to non-res and back? No point, since your residence is in Newton. But if your LTC is due for renewal next week, you need to file your paperwork NOW. If you let it expire, the whole thing is moot.

Sorry it didn't work out in Florida. But that's okay, because your residence is in Newton.

Last edited:
There is no law against dual residency in MA. Some MA chiefs give folks shit IF THEY FIND OUT about it however, so best NOT to discuss that at all with them.

There is no law in MA requiring someone to have DL in order to get a MA LTC.

If you own a house here and have a Wife here, you have plenty of proof showing you as a MA Resident. On renewal it shouldn't even come up unless you bring it up and put your foot in your mouth.

Just file your renewal paperwork like nothing happened and get it done, ASAP.

Latest on MA NR LTCs seems to be that some are taking 5 months (one in RI just reported today). So that is no bargain, that's for sure.

Convert your DL to MA when you get back on your own schedule. I'm sure that will be expensive, knowing how MA gouges people.

No, you do not. You still have a home in Natick; even if you have one in FL, that makes you a dual resident. Go renew with a clear conscience.

I own a home in Vermont but I rent a room in Marxachusetts and stay there 3 nights a week. I still have my MA resident LTC. Perfectly legal.

It won't be easy for you, for a number of reasons that others will fill you in on.

There's nothing difficult about his scenario. At all. He still is a newton resident. He just has to go to the PD with the required docs (and actually, some PD might not even need much, just old LTC plus app fee). Some may required current MA DL, etc as proof of residency. Maybe not. He might want to fix that first.

This isn't rocket appliances, he can just renew without running his mouth, done.

-Mike

I have a somewhat unusual situation that I'm looking for some guidance on.

Last year, I had to take a job in Florida expecting that, if it worked out, I might be relocating there. My wife remained in our residence in Newton and I "commuted." I got a Florida driver's license because it was easier to lease a car there and the insurance was cheaper.

Well, as luck would have it, the company in Florida has not done well and I'll be moving permanently back to MA in September. But my MA LTC is due for renewal next week.

Do I have to first get my FL driver's license converted back to a MA license before renewing my LTC? (My primary residence is still in Newton, MA.)

Or could I apply to change my MA LTC to an out-of-state LTC and then change it back when I return permanently to MA in a couple of months?

Thanks for any help or advice you could give me.
-Mack

Your driver's license number must be listed on the application so they will notice that you don't have a MA driver's license when you apply. A friend of mine has two properties in MA. One is in Boston and the other in Hyannis. He tried to apply on the cape for obvious reasons. The PD told him they have the right to determine if one is eligible to apply as a resident of their town or not and they can ask for any documentation they see fit. Of course it's may issue so I'm not sure if that's the law or their policy regarding suitability but this might be a problem.....

There is no law against dual residency in MA. Some MA chiefs give folks shit IF THEY FIND OUT about it however, so best NOT to discuss that at all with them.

There is no law in MA requiring someone to have DL in order to get a MA LTC.

If you own a house here and have a Wife here, you have plenty of proof showing you as a MA Resident. On renewal it shouldn't even come up unless you bring it up and put your foot in your mouth.

Just file your renewal paperwork like nothing happened and get it done, ASAP.

Latest on MA NR LTCs seems to be that some are taking 5 months (one in RI just reported today). So that is no bargain, that's for sure.

Convert your DL to MA when you get back on your own schedule. I'm sure that will be expensive, knowing how MA gouges people.

My renewal (no trip to chelsea) was just over 4 months.

Back
Top Bottom